Defensive Schemed Lauged At By Ou Coaches?

Green Crazy

While listening to the Hardline talk college football today I heard one of them say that the OU offensive coordinators used SLC games to study Mendoza's defense and hoped he would use the same scheme as he did then. Apparently they said the scheme was VERY simplistic and would NEVER work at the college level. Low and be hold that's what Mendoza ran out there on Saturday and the OU coaches were laughing about it at the post game press conference.

First has anyone else heard this? Second how basic is Mendoza's scheme, I noticed a lot of man to man, but I'm not an expert?

This coming from a team whose defense lost on New Year's Day because of a schoolyard trick play.

Leave it be.

At least until the SMU game. :rolleyes:

First has anyone else heard this? Second how basic is Mendoza's scheme, I noticed a lot of man to man, but I'm not an expert?

Let's just say someone is used to having the "superior" defensive athletes, at least that's the ONLY excuse I can come up with. Someone's learned mighty quick the disparity in talent among schools is way bigger than expected. As one advances in level among the football ranks, schemes & coaching become more important. At the high school level, ONE player can dominate the entire game. Things drastically change once you hit college and change again, at a slightly "lesser" rate, in the NFL.

Edited by Got5onIt

This is a great example of someone trying to take too much from this OU game. let it be.

Mendoza's, and any coach who loves his trade, is going to get the team to play his basic correctly before adding the wrinkles. Otherwise it's like putting lipstick on a pig.

We got roasted. period. Lets see where we (including Mendoza) grow from this.

Edited by greenminer

This was also the hardline and company where they give very little love to UNT even on a good day. I trust in Dodge and could care less what 1310 thinks or says about the glory that is the GREEN!

beat smu

GO MEAN GREEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mendoza's, and any coach who loves his trade, is going to get the team to play his basic correctly before adding the wrinkles. Otherwise it's like putting lipstick on a pig.

Basic?? :blink:

Hate to break it to you, my friend, but man cover 1 or cover 2 is about as basic as you can get. Kids learn these defenses in Jr.High/ freshman year of high school.

Edited by Got5onIt

We have a slew of high school coaches and low mid-major talent right now trying to work together everyone needs a learning curve. All of these kids on the team and coaches will get better and as we recruit better talent they will make the coaches look better so lets give Dodge and the rest of the staff a little time to adjust to the speed and level of competition before we judge how they’re doing.

While listening to the Hardline talk college football today I heard one of them say that the OU offensive coordinators used SLC games to study Mendoza's defense and hoped he would use the same scheme as he did then. Apparently they said the scheme was VERY simplistic and would NEVER work at the college level. Low and be hold that's what Mendoza ran out there on Saturday and the OU coaches were laughing about it at the post game press conference.

The Hardline? They're a bunch of knuckleheads anyway. I never care about what they say & think. Turn on Randy Galloway & pass the Cuervo!

I listened to OU's postgame and basically Stoops made it sound like we threw out the same defense all game and that was to challenge OU's speed...He seemed surprised that we did not run anything else. He either thought our DC was in over his head or he was trying not to show too much for SmU

Edited by the green rokemi

Actually while I was sitting in traffic in Norman I heard the assistant coaches talking about this on a post game AM talk show. They mentioned how basic the defensive play calling was and how they were happy the NT coaches didnt' change anything from the SLC tapes... it was a pretty classless 5 minutes of radio. (and this was followed by them talking about how they TRIED not to run up the score in the second half.

Actually while I was sitting in traffic in Norman I heard the assistant coaches talking about this on a post game AM talk show. They mentioned how basic the defensive play calling was and how they were happy the NT coaches didnt' change anything from the SLC tapes... it was a pretty classless 5 minutes of radio. (and this was followed by them talking about how they TRIED not to run up the score in the second half.

Actually, I can't really blame them. I tivo'd the game and watched the first half again in slo-mo last night...that was the most basic college defense I think I've ever seen. And to not change it after getting burned several times has me baffled beyond belief.

Actually, I can't really blame them. I tivo'd the game and watched the first half again in slo-mo last night...that was the most basic college defense I think I've ever seen. And to not change it after getting burned several times has me baffled beyond belief.

Can't learn how to do it correctly if you go and change it all the time. And it seems to me that if you can't play the basic defense correctly your sure to struggle attempting anything else.

Read HERE.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Can't learn how to do it correctly if you go and change it all the time. And it seems to me that if you can't play the basic defense correctly your sure to struggle attempting anything else.

When you don't have the proper skill set (ie speed and size to match OU in man coverage), you'll never be able to do it correctly. It's an exercise in futility. It's the responsibility of the coaching staff to maximize the talents and abilities of our players so that they can succeed as a team. The problem is we were weren't in the correct defense to begin with. It doesn't take a genius to recognize that our 5'10", 161 lbs CB was totally outmatched by OU's 6'4", 217 WR. Yet the defensive scheme of man coverage was never altered to provide additional support.

I support this coaching staff 100% but to say I was a little disappointed with the lack of in-game adjustments would be an understatement.

Just a minute-- Our 5-18 team was playing one of the best if not the best college

football team in America. The biggest difference was talent level, plain and simple.

If you were the NFL guru of defense, it would not matter who or what scheme you

put on the field if you do not have the players to run the scheme. Oklahoma has

terriffic players, 3 deep at each position. If the Oklahoma coaches are so arrogant

to say crap about North Texas, the coaching staff, and insulting the players by saying

our coaching staff is stupid, well what goes around comes around. Why not say the

OU defense coordinators, who are suposed to be experts, are stupid suckers for allowing

Bosie State to use "trick plays" to beat us. Hell OU should have fired all the defensive

coaches! Looks to me OU ran a high school defense against Bosie State!

Sure--North Texas will be the "butt" end of alot of jokes and snide remarks

right now--look at all the build up of Coach Dodge and Dodge Ball. Expect more

jokes and snide remarks every time we lose or a bone head play happens.

I believe Coach Dodge and his staff will recruit the players needed, and that North Texas

will be running over teams the same way--only our coaches will show alot more class!

This coming from a team whose defense lost on New Year's Day because of a schoolyard trick play.

Leave it be.

I don't have enough technical football knowledge to talk defensive formations; however, I trust that if Stoop's coaches found our defense laughable, then there is something to it. We always complained about the DD vanilla offense. Hopefully, we didn't trade that in for a vanilla defense. Don't get me wrong, I am still enormously excited about the season; but even I noticed our lack of defensive adjustments in the game... hopefully Mendoza picks up on things quickly...

Did everyone see that speed on the outside OU had? Name your zone coverage, and it would have had the same result. May have even been worse against those slip screens. If we would have had a corner jamming the two outside receivers on the line with a safety doubling over the top, that would have slowed those guys down maybe. But it doesn't take Bear Bryant to see what that would do to your run defense in all but obvious passing situations. Mendoza knows what he is doing. Give our coaches some time, geez, one game against a top ten team and the second guessing is out in full force already.

I listened into the sooner radio network after the game and they had the OU rb's coach on and he said-

Their defense was very plain and vanilla. We expected them to do a lot of what they did in High school, and they did. Nothing surprised us. We could have kept putting up points if we wanted to.

I don't know about you fellas. But, I'm not feeling too good about our defensive coaches, if they feel that doing the same thing will get us anywhere. I know Dodge rewards loyalty, and preaches family, but if the time comes, I hope he can cut ties with people dragging him and us down. I'm not ready to make that verdict yet, I am just saying that I will be noticing this more.

I listened into the sooner radio network after the game and they had the OU rb's coach on and he said-

Their defense was very plain and vanilla. We expected them to do a lot of what they did in High school, and they did. Nothing surprised us. We could have kept putting up points if we wanted to.

I don't know about you fellas. But, I'm not feeling too good about our defensive coaches, if they feel that doing the same thing will get us anywhere. I know Dodge rewards loyalty, and preaches family, but if the time comes, I hope he can cut ties with people dragging him and us down. I'm not ready to make that verdict yet, I am just saying that I will be noticing this more.

I realize they had far superior athletes to ours, and that we were in the first game of the TD era, but if these OU coaches are all telling the truth (which I don't know why all of them would just be saying something that wasn't true) we will be able to see this as the season goes along assuming they don't make major changes. I am not a "football" coach by any stretch of the imagination, but I couldn't help ask myself why we made NO changes in our defense throughout the game. I understand we had a game plan and TD wanted to stick with it, but come on, we made that QB look like Peyton Manning. If they are doing the same things they did at SLC and they make no changes, we will be able to see this in the coming games.

The thing that really bothered me was the lack of adjustments in defensive schemes and personnel as the game progressed. Inferior talent or not, it seems to me that we should have at least tried something new by the second half and not continued to easily give them the same thing over and over again. This ain't high school anymore toto. Having said that, I expected a learning curve here so I'm certainly willing to be patient and give the coaches some time to get it together. If we don't look any better against a team of Smu's caliber that patience will begin to wear thin.

Okay I'm going to look at this with a Baseball perspective. Do you throw your Ace (best pitcher) in a game that you are fairly certain that you cant win becuase your offense is jsut not good enough to score on their Number 1 enough to win the game even with your best, or do you save him unitl the next game when you will face a less effective pitcher witch in turn gives you the confidence that your ACE will be able to shut them down and your offense will put up plenty of points.

No matter what was said and told to us and players, these coaches know what their doing. They knew that no matter what, at this stage in the game, we jsut didnt have the talent and knowledge of the systems in place to compete with OU. So it sounds to me like the kept everything close to the vest in an attempt to not show other Sun Belt teams and SMU things.

I know their will be some of you out there that will say we brought Dodge in here to compete with the big boys and that was why we got rid of Dickey. Let me be clear, Vince Lambardi, Tom Landry, Jimmy Johnson, and Knute Rockney all rolled into one, could not beat OU Saturday night. Now that is not a knock to our kids, but it was painfully obvious that our talent level and team speed did not belong on the same field as OU.

And I dont want to hear about APP State as well, becuase if you watched that game (like I did) you could see that they had the team speed to compete with Michigan and I think that we will have that same kind of speed in a couple of years, but until then we just have to take our lumps against the big boys and go out and beat the small schools until our team speed will allow us to play the big boys with the same kind of fever that App State and Boise State can.