Fouts: Dodge's Presence Could Drive New Stadium Plan

NT80

Dodge's presence could drive new stadium plan

06:45 AM CDT on Tuesday, July 31, 2007

By Brett Vito / Staff Writer

EDITOR’S NOTE: The following is the third of a three-part series on Uni­versity of North Texas’ Fouts Field — its history, its current-day status and the possibility of it being replaced in the future. Today’s story focuses on new head football coach Todd Dodge and how he might influence efforts to build a new stadium.

When University of North Texas Athletic Director Rick Villarreal set out to find a new head football coach late last year, he wanted someone who could do more than win games.

Villarreal wanted a man who could help make the dream of a new stadium in the Mean Green Athletic Village a reality.

UNT officials are raising money for a facility to replace Fouts Field and believe they found the man who could eventually put them over the top in Todd Dodge. The former Southlake Carroll High School head coach was hired in December and will open his first season with the Mean Green in a few weeks.

“Your football coach has to be a part of the puzzle when you are working on a project of this nature,” Villarreal said. “He has to let people know how important the project is and take the time to go out and meet donors. … We are going to ask people for large sums of money who have to believe in our football coach.”

Dodge has yet to coach a game at UNT, but so far fans appear more than willing to buy into the vision the school is selling. Last year, by late July, the ticket office had sold $133,520 in season tickets. So far this year, the ticket office has sold $259,118 in season tickets — an increase of about 94 percent.

Donations to the Mean Green Club, the fundraising wing of the athletic department, are also up, from $204,945 to $399,292 — an increase of more than 95 percent.

UNT officials credit that increase in large part to Dodge, who has been on the banquet circuit speaking to fans about his vision for the program since he arrived in Denton.

“Speaking and helping raise funds is absolutely an important part of what I do,” Dodge said. “I enjoy being out and selling our program. I wouldn’t be here unless I really believed in it. When you believe in something, it’s easy to talk about.”

More than 5,000 fans watched the Mean Green’s spring game at Fouts, and several more have attended events where Dodge was a featured speaker.

“Dodge will be a key element when it comes to building a new stadium,” UNT fan Jeff Roeling said. “He is in touch with the fans, and wants to reach out and sell the program. There is a new excitement that has not been felt about UNT football in decades.”

There might not be a person who better understands just how important a new stadium is for the future of UNT’s football program than its new coach. Dodge helped steer more than 20 players who signed Division I scholarships through the recruiting process during his time at Carroll and was on the other side of the equation earlier this year when he signed his first recruiting class at UNT.

“We are in an age right now where the people we are competing against are building nice, state-of-the-art stadiums,” Dodge said. “You have to keep up with them. The second part of it is the facility level at the high schools in the recruiting base that we are going after is off the charts. … There is a start-of-the-art high school stadium with between 10,000 and 15,000 seats with a JumboTron and all the other amenities seemingly on every corner in the Dallas area.”

UNT has dramatically upgraded its facilities during the past five years with the addition of the Mean Green Athletic Center, a new campus dedicated in large part to women’s athletics and a tennis complex.

UNT landed several large gifts to help build those facilities but will have to find donors with even deeper pockets to build a football stadium.

Denny Kalk has been among the athletic department’s biggest donors over the past several years and believes UNT could soon build a stadium because of the people guiding the university.

“The groundwork from the administration to the athletic department is part of the strength we have now,” Kalk said. “Rick is a tremendous fundraiser and coach Dodge is there now. We have not had the right administration, athletic director and coach there in the 35 years I have been around the program, until now.”

Fans and officials agree that improving facilities is probably the most important challenge when it comes to the future of UNT’s athletic program.

UNT has already benefited from the addition of the Mean Green Athletic Center where the school’s athletes train. The facility rivals those at the schools UNT competes against for recruits.

The same can’t be said of Fouts Field.

“A stadium is very important to the future of the program,” Dodge said. “We are not lacking in anything in comparison to the people we are going against head-to-head in recruiting except for a stadium.”

Dodge is aiming to help change that by being the face of the program and the frontman for a fundraising campaign that is still in its early stages. After seeing what UNT has accomplished in the last few years, especially with the opening of the Mean Green Athletic Center, he has high hopes that a new stadium will be on the way soon.

“It’s not my job to say what the timeframe is,” Dodge said. “But when I see the building that I am in now and the facility that our kids enjoy, I do not doubt one bit that a stadium will be built.”

94% is a much bigger number than the one cited in the USA Today.

I think because it measures late July 2006 to late July 2007, not full year.

This whole 3 part series is a pretty nice bit of media relations. It has a nice spot as a point of interest in a fundraising campaign folder or what not... or a nice reference to point to angrily if nothing happens in the next 2-3 years.

Depends on which poster you are.

It's nice to see more stadium talk for NT available for the public's consumption. Over the last few weeks, it seems as though there has been more new stadium talk through local media. Can't hurt to let potential donors and the fanbase in general know that a new football stadium is becoming a major priority for the University.

The press we are getting can't hurt, someone posted that this may be a lead in to a big announcement, I think they are right!

The first home game will would be a great opportunity!

The more I read and watch media coverage of Coach Dodge the more pumped I get, seems like anything is now possible. Lookout Boomer Sooners!

The groundwork from the administration to the athletic department is part of the strength we have now,” Kalk said. “Rick is a tremendous fundraiser and coach Dodge is there now. We have not had the right administration, athletic director and coach there in the 35 years I have been around the program, until now.”

That would be my assessment as well.

The last time we were even close to this situation was with Hayden Fry. The President during that time was Jitter Nolan (whom GreyEagleone said was responsible for bringing Hayden to North Texas), but he was probably the only one at the school that backed what Hayden was doing. Everyone else at the University wanted things to be just like they were in the "old days".

Of course, all the "old nesters" hated Jitter Nolan as well. So it wasn't surprising that Hayden eventually left to go work for a more appreciative group (U of I) and Jitter Nolan was eventually run-off.

Hayden might have stayed. But when his two most bowl worthy teams (77 and 78) were not invited because of the "perception" of the North Texas alumnus/fans, AND he was always running into barriers put up by the "old nester" crowd, why fight it any longer?

Great press and nice series. I hope this leads us to a big announcement -- Hey wouldn't the Kick-off BBQ be a great place for it... Unveil the unis and stadium plans?? :whistling1:

Hey, I can dream, can't I? Leave me with my little slice of fantasy! :)

Guest GrayEagleOne

“Your football coach has to be a part of the puzzle when you are working on a project of this nature,” Villarreal said. “He has to let people know how important the project is and take the time to go out and meet donors. … We are going to ask people for large sums of money who have to believe in our football coach.”

That paragraph jumped out at me. I thought back to the opening of the Athletics Center when Rick Spears brought in a potentially large donor. There was an open house type meeting with with all of the AD in attendance except....Coach Dickey. There had been a scrimmage over at the Collins Complex but he came to the meeting more than an hour after the scrimmage was over. To my knowledge (and I talked to Rick after the meeting), Coach Dickey never did acknowledge the potential donor's presence.

That snub eliminated any affinity that I had for Coach Dickey's participation in the Mean Green cause. It might have been a little difficult but he could have been there on time (his assistants were) and glad-handed the possible donor. It was also the presentation of the recruits which should have been his duty but he chose to hand off that responsibility.

Enough of that; he's gone. It is refreshing to see that we now have a coach that understands the importance and is willing to meet prospective donors. I believe in Coach Todd Dodge and I believe in the Mean Green.

I'm glad to hear that Dodge is speaking at banquets and other venues that will have him. That's a part of coaching that Dickey avoided, and I think it hurt UNT in ticket sales, donations and recruitment.

DD was not a public speaker. Not having him speak, probably did NT more good, than if he had spoke.

Great press and nice series. I hope this leads us to a big announcement -- Hey wouldn't the Kick-off BBQ be a great place for it... Unveil the unis and stadium plans?? :whistling1:

Hey, I can dream, can't I? Leave me with my little slice of fantasy! :)

Other members of this board snickered when I said the Kickoff Cookout would be a great time to unveil the new uniforms...

That paragraph jumped out at me. I thought back to the opening of the Athletics Center when Rick Spears brought in a potentially large donor. There was an open house type meeting with with all of the AD in attendance except....Coach Dickey. There had been a scrimmage over at the Collins Complex but he came to the meeting more than an hour after the scrimmage was over. To my knowledge (and I talked to Rick after the meeting), Coach Dickey never did acknowledge the potential donor's presence.

That snub eliminated any affinity that I had for Coach Dickey's participation in the Mean Green cause. It might have been a little difficult but he could have been there on time (his assistants were) and glad-handed the possible donor. It was also the presentation of the recruits which should have been his duty but he chose to hand off that responsibility.

Enough of that; he's gone. It is refreshing to see that we now have a coach that understands the importance and is willing to meet prospective donors. I believe in Coach Todd Dodge and I believe in the Mean Green.

Totally agree Jack.

Both the tickets sales and MGC cash doubling is very impressive.

GO MEAN GREEN

Yes doubling is impressive, but the totals are far from being impressive. Roughly translated it appears that NT has 2000 to 3000 season ticket holders. Hopefully the total will continue to build but NT still has a long haul ahead. NT has come a long way since rejoining 1a and though attendance was poor last year. When the poor record and unpopular coach is taking into account, it was marked improvement over what would have occurred under the same circumstances only a few years before. Hopefully the relatively new administration and TD can be successful in selling the program to the masses. Not even the revered Hayden Fry had any great success in generating support for the athletic program from alums or the city of Denton. It is fortunate for the City of Denton, that universities can't like major businesses just move their location to an area that is willing to offer greater support. Think of the bidding war between cities that would take place if a business the size of NT could be moved.

Great post...and great series by Vito. All the talk from RV's recent post down to the DRC series and USA Today piece is definitely evidence of lots of smoke building around this issue. I have to believe that the wheels are set in motion as I can't remember there ever being this much public information available surrounding NT's new stadium.

Also...what has happened to the old "Do you believe in the Mean Green" moniker? I miss the days when Dunham would holler that out during what seems like every football victory. We need to bring it back...maybe make it part of the pre-game video montage (was it ever part of any of our older pre-game video's?).

what has happened to the old "Do you believe in the Mean Green" moniker? I miss the days when Dunham would holler that out during what seems like every football victory.

Look at our record the last two years. That should tell you what happened to it. Also, Dunham started this after a few upsets, mainly TTech. Our previous coach never put forth the effort to achieve an upset.

All most interesting Todd Dodge quotes from DRC article:

“We are in an age right now where the people we are competing against are building nice, state-of-the-art stadiums,” Dodge said. “You have to keep up with them. The second part of it is the facility level at the high schools in the recruiting base that we are going after is off the charts. … There is a start-of-the-art high school stadium with between 10,000 and 15,000 seats with a JumboTron and all the other amenities seemingly on every corner in the Dallas area.”

“A stadium is very important to the future of the program,” Dodge said. “We are not lacking in anything in comparison to the people we are going against head-to-head in recruiting except for a stadium.”

Dodge is aiming to help change that by being the face of the program and the frontman for a fundraising campaign that is still in its early stages. After seeing what UNT has accomplished in the last few years, especially with the opening of the Mean Green Athletic Center, he has high hopes that a new stadium will be on the way soon.

“It’s not my job to say what the timeframe is,” Dodge said. “But when I see the building that I am in now and the facility that our kids enjoy, I do not doubt one bit that a stadium will be built.”

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Jack beat me to it about this qoute as I was thinking the same thing.

Rick

Yes doubling is impressive, but the totals are far from being impressive. Roughly translated it appears that NT has 2000 to 3000 season ticket holders. Hopefully the total will continue to build but NT still has a long haul ahead. NT has come a long way since rejoining 1a and though attendance was poor last year. When the poor record and unpopular coach is taking into account, it was marked improvement over what would have occurred under the same circumstances only a few years before. Hopefully the relatively new administration and TD can be successful in selling the program to the masses. Not even the revered Hayden Fry had any great success in generating support for the athletic program from alums or the city of Denton. It is fortunate for the City of Denton, that universities can't like major businesses just move their location to an area that is willing to offer greater support. Think of the bidding war between cities that would take place if a business the size of NT could be moved.

Demographics When Hayden Fry Was In Denton, Texas, America:

Denton population: 35,000 (compared to approx. 110,000 now)

Denton County population: 99,000 (compared to almost 600,000 now)

UNT Enrollment: 17,000 (compared to approx. 34,000 now)

DFW NT Exes/Alumnus Assoc: Believe it or not, there wasn't a functioning one when Hayden Fry arrived in Denton in December, 1972 (probably the prime reason our school's financial coffer, ie, endowment is hardly one that will advance us to another tier in U.S. News & World Reports annual rankings (if anyone subscribes to those rankings). NOTE: Actually, in or around 1971, I believe there was some kind of a half-arsed attempt to get something started with some kind of alumnus association for NT, but I think it was a futile effort from all that I've heard. When Hayden Fry started scheduling the Big Boys (as well as UT-Austin for the first time in our school's history), our alma mater's movers & shakers just started looking around at all the things they (the Big Boys) were doing and what we had not been doing concerning alumnus relations for almost 100 years.

I know, many of us have made a demi-god out of Hayden Fry on this forum, but the man truly brought a Big Time presence and feeling to our campus--problem was, we (the NT community) just didn't return the favor.

When Fry signed on with NT after a 11 year stint as SMU's AD/Head Football Coach, he still probably had as much influence with our dropping the "teacher's college modus operendi & intellect" as much as anyone had up to that time (because in the early 1970's--that M.O. was still much too prevalent at NT). And with Fry having played a significant role in doing all that, probably still a reason some in Denton still don't like that man to this day.

Bluntly speaking (or posting)--Hayden Fry raised the bar at NTSU in more ways than one and is the same bar (not the watering hole variety, of course) that many still use today for us to get back to (impressive OOC wins over name schools for starters?) yet a bar we can now exceed with Todd Dodge at the helm in Mean Green Country.

NOTE: Shame on all of us, but our Fouts attendance during a 4 year bowl run was about the same we had over 30 years ago & during the Fry era. Maybe a reason some of us old f@rt NT alums get a bit testy and impatient in some of our posts at times?

FWIW................we are just ready for something much bigger to happen for all of us especially in light of the population explosion that has taken place on and around our main campus.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

It's ashame that we don't have a functioning Ex's arm now. We need that group to be strong to get the $$$$$ to build things in Denton and in other areas of the system.

I wish we had the support now that we need a presence at our athletic events and in Austin ( politics) and on campus (scholarship's) but the ex's seem to be a pointless organization at this point.