Notre Dame To Play Home Game In San Antonio

SOUTH BEND, Ind. – Notre Dame will face Washington State in San Antonio on Oct. 31, 2009.

The game at the Alamodome will be the first of annual offsite games Notre Dame plans to play to try to make its contests more accessible to fans around the country.

"Notre Dame has never played in San Antonio, so this will be a tremendous opportunity to showcase our program in a new city, and in a state in which we have a strong emphasis in recruiting," Notre Dame athletic director Kevin White said Friday.

The school announced on Thursday that it would play games in which it would be considered the home team at the Citrus Bowl in Orlando, Fla., in 2011 and 2014. No opponents have been announced

White has compared playing "home" games at other sites to the barnstorming approach that Knute Rockne took while coaching the Irish in the 1920s.

"We believe these events will provide great opportunities for fans to see our team play when they may be otherwise challenged to travel or obtain tickets for games in South Bend," he said.

Since it is considered a home game for Notre Dame, NBC will televise it.

I have to give Notre Dame credit for not being sniffling cowards like our regional Big 12 neighbors. Notre Dame has the courage to play home & home games against it's opponents while the coward schools all try to play 7 or 8 home games every season.

2007 Football Schedule

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

S 01 GEORGIA TECH

S 08 @ Penn State

S 15 @ Michigan

S 22 MICHIGAN ST.

S 29 @ Purdue

O 06 @ UCLA

O 13 BOSTON COLLEGE

O 20 SOUTHERN CAL

N 03 NAVY

N 10 AIR FORCE

N 17 DUKE

N 24 @ Stanford

2008 Football Schedule

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

S 06 SAN DIEGO STATE

S 13 MICHIGAN

S 20 @ Michigan St.

S 27 PURDUE

O 04 STANFORD

O 11 @ North Carolina

O 25 @ Washington

N 01 PITTSBURGH

N 08 @ Boston College

N 15 @ Navy (Baltimore)

N 22 SYRACUSE

N 29 @ Southern Cal

I wish the NCAA would grow a pair and mandate that every team will play exactly half their games as home games (neutral sites counting as home games every other year). The cowards fans wouldn't like the rule, but it's the right thing to do.

The NY Yankees make more money than any othe Major League team. Should they therefore get to play all their games at home?

Sports are sports, they are supposed to be competitive with a level playing field for all contestants. Only cowards who aren't willing to understand sports want the the advantage artificially tipped in their favor.

I have to give Notre Dame credit for not being sniffling cowards like our regional Big 12 neighbors. Notre Dame has the courage to play home & home games against it's opponents while the coward schools all try to play 7 or 8 home games every season.

And not just 7 or 8 home games, but with 2 or 3 games against D-IAA opponents. It doesn't show me how much of a bad@ss your school is when it's trouncing D-IAA schools it shouldn't be playing in the first place.

And not just 7 or 8 home games, but with 2 or 3 games against D-IAA opponents. It doesn't show me how much of a bad@ss your school is when it's trouncing D-IAA schools it shouldn't be playing in the first place.

That's it. When they schedule a DIAA school (for the sure win), they should be required to play at the DIAA's stadium.

2007 Football Schedule

S 01 GEORGIA TECH

S 08 @ Penn State

S 15 @ Michigan

S 22 MICHIGAN ST.

S 29 @ Purdue

O 06 @ UCLA

O 13 BOSTON COLLEGE

O 20 SOUTHERN CAL

N 03 NAVY

N 10 AIR FORCE

N 17 DUKE

N 24 @ Stanford

2008 Football Schedule

S 06 SAN DIEGO STATE

S 13 MICHIGAN

S 20 @ Michigan St.

S 27 PURDUE

O 04 STANFORD

O 11 @ North Carolina

O 25 @ Washington

N 01 PITTSBURGH

N 08 @ Boston College

N 15 @ Navy (Baltimore)

N 22 SYRACUSE

N 29 @ Southern Cal

I wish the NCAA would grow a pair and mandate that every team will play exactly half their games as home games (neutral sites counting as home games every other year). The cowards fans wouldn't like the rule, but it's the right thing to do.

The NY Yankees make more money than any othe Major League team. Should they therefore get to play all their games at home?

Sports are sports, they are supposed to be competitive with a level playing field for all contestants. Only cowards who aren't willing to understand sports want the the advantage artificially tipped in their favor.

And their schedule also COMPLETELY negates the complaint you'll hear from fans of a lot of our Big XII neighbors that "they don't have to play in a conference so they shouldn't get an auto bid to the BCS." Tell me, who would want to play in a conference that included Michigan, Michigan St, USC, Penn State and UCLA? Or, tell me how that lineup isn't at least the equal of Tech, Baylor, UT, aTm and Oklahoma.

Iowa State is playing 2 Div 1AA schools, couldn't find a big 12 school playing 3 1AA's this year however most of them are playing at least one (only exceptions are CU, OU, Texas, and Nebraska who don't play any).

The SEC is the worst offender. Only LSU is playing an all-Div1A schedule. Of course, if you had to play in the muderer's row that is the SEC, you can probably have a pass for one cupcake game a year.

The Big Televen isn't much better- only Michigan State and Penn State are cupcake-free.

The winner is the Pac 10, with only Oregon State playing a Div 1AA team.

In the ACC, about half the teams (7 of 12) play 1AA schools

The Big Least shows only Syracuse and WVU play a legit schedule, with rest having at least one 1AA. Pitt is actually playing 2 Div 1AA schools (guess Wan-stache is tired of losing), yet CFN still has them ranked the 2nd most difficult sched in the BE.. go figure

And their schedule also COMPLETELY negates the complaint you'll hear from fans of a lot of our Big XII neighbors that "they don't have to play in a conference so they shouldn't get an auto bid to the BCS." Tell me, who would want to play in a conference that included Michigan, Michigan St, USC, Penn State and UCLA? Or, tell me how that lineup isn't at least the equal of Tech, Baylor, UT, aTm and Oklahoma.

I agree, it's pretty equitable this year. But, I still wish them failure. In every single game they play. Until the end of time. :D

I don't thinking bitching about Notre Dame is a Big 12 thing- I think it's a REST OF COLLEGE FOOTBALL thing.

There are a few schools that are like Notre Dame & don't really shy from anyone. I found it interesting that despite being labeled soft by most of the other BCS leagues, the Pac-10 had the lowest number of 1AA games scheduled. Look at USC...their non conference games the last few seasons. Maybe Hawaii wasn't the biggest test, but the Warriors have given many a BCS school problems on the island.

at Arkansas

vs. Nebraska

vs. Notre Dame

at Hawai'i

vs Arkansas

at Notre Dame

vs. Fresno State

vs. Virginia Tech NUETRAL SITE in Maryland

vs Colorado State

at BYU

vs Notre Dame

at Auburn

vs BYU

vs Hawaii

at Notre Dame

Edited by CMJ

Heck, with the amount of Big 10 schools they play every year they should join the Big 10 (11 teams) and make another superconference.

I know that will never happen due to the NBC contract and the fear of having to play Ohio St and Iowa every year along with Michigan, Mich St and Purdue.etc.....

If Villareal could get in on this and schedule ND vs UNT at the new Texas Stadium in 2010...I will bend over and kiss my own as$ with joy!!!!!!!!

Edited by RETSO

I agree, it's pretty equitable this year. But, I still wish them failure. In every single game they play. Until the end of time. :D

I don't thinking bitching about Notre Dame is a Big 12 thing- I think it's a REST OF COLLEGE FOOTBALL thing.

That's a good way to say it. If a team needs to play against a DIAA team to "practice", then it probably just needs more practice. As for the DIAA teams, the worst part is that they probably need the money from these games. The way I see it, and the way another post said in this thread, the game should be played at the DIAA field.

As much as Notre Dame can get on everyone else's nerves in college football, you absolutely have to respect their scheduling practices. They play one of the toughest schedules in football every single year. And as MeanGreenDork pointed out, they actually have the balls to go play a tough team on the road.

I am not a fan of Notre Dame at all, but as a college football fan, who doesn't enjoy watching USC, Michigan, Penn St, etc. take on Notre Dame.

As much as Notre Dame can get on everyone else's nerves in college football, you absolutely have to respect their scheduling practices. They play one of the toughest schedules in football every single year. And as MeanGreenDork pointed out, they actually have the balls to go play a tough team on the road.

I am not a fan of Notre Dame at all, but as a college football fan, who doesn't enjoy watching USC, Michigan, Penn St, etc. take on Notre Dame.

Notre Dame has to play the tough schedule since they've fallen from the pollster's good graces. NBC is the only one still trying to pass them off as a college football powerhouse.

I know Norte Dame has this "national following" (Like the Yankees, Red Sox, and Cubs in baseball, Patriots and Cowboys in football, Bulls for a time in basketball) but a game at a neutral site about as opposite of South Bend as you can get and stay in the US...strange.