Suspended Ut Football Player To Transfer

GreenBat

Suspended UT football player to transfer

06:12 PM CDT on Monday, June 11, 2007

By CHIP BROWN / The Dallas Morning News

chipbrown@dallasnews.com

AUSTIN – Texas sophomore safety Robert Joseph said he will transfer to another school two days after being suspended indefinitely by coach Mack Brown.

Joseph's suspension came after he was booked into the Travis County Jail early Saturday morning on two misdemeanor charges of burglary of a vehicle.

"I've really enjoyed my time at Texas, but I think it's in the best interest now to transfer and get a fresh start," Joseph said Monday in a statement released by Texas. "I don't know where I'm going to go yet, but I hope to continue working towards my dream of playing in the NFL."

Joseph, 19, a product of Port Arthur Memorial, was considered a rising star before his arrest. He appeared in seven games last season, recording 14 tackles and a pass breakup before an injured shoulder sidelined him the final six games.

Joseph is the second Texas football player to be arrested in the last two weeks. On June 1, junior defensive end Henry Melton of Grapevine was charged with driving while intoxicated.

No. Don't need any character issues.

Only reason I ask is because the kids from Port Arthur. Think Dodge could help this young man get his life turned around? That and we need DB's!!

He needs to look into Florida or Florida State or Miami...the convict haven for college football.

I think Florida State (Penitentiary) is the place for him to go.

Ummm....it says he was booked NOT tried and convicted. Just because someone is arrested doens't mean they are guilty of a crime. Innocent until proven guilty.

Ummm....it says he was booked NOT tried and convicted. Just because someone is arrested doens't mean they are guilty of a crime. Innocent until proven guilty.

He was arrested twice for breaking into cars the same night , in the same parking lot .

Mack Brown kicked him off the team! Good for Mack!

There must be more to this story than what is available.

From his quote, all he wants to do is to play in the NFL-seems he does

not care about college, or even learning anything. Apparently, breaking

into cars is a craft he was developing. Now he wants a fresh start?

What, start breaking into cars somewhere else? What is next, homes?

No, North Texas does not need this type of transfer. Coach Dodge and

his staff recriut the players North Texas needs.

Mack Brown kicked him off the team! Good for Mack!

This means one of two things:

1)He wasn't expected to play heavy minutes and was therefore expendable as a fall guy showing how "tough" UT is on rulebreakers

2)There is way more to this story and better to give him the boot before it's exposed (ala OU)

Seems like a lot of Mean Green fans don't want to give a second chance when the players are at another school .... Theres also a lot of Mean Green fans who find it easy to overlook things when it's one of our own.

Not true, but why bring someone in that already has an arrest record? You want the Cowboys to sign "Pacman" Jones?

TD has enough of a project on his hands just molding the players he has into his system and getting them tuned up. No way in hell should we inject a problem we KNOW about into the mix and divert attention and energy away from the task at hand this year.

This means one of two things:

1)He wasn't expected to play heavy minutes and was therefore expendable as a fall guy showing how "tough" UT is on rulebreakers

2)There is way more to this story and better to give him the boot before it's exposed (ala OU)

Exactly. All the BCS teams are made up of and coached by latent criminals. It's up to the rest of D1 to show the BCS teams how to conduct themselves. Godspeed them all.

you guys are being pretty tough on this kid. Of course you take him. if he shows any problems you remove him, but you definitly give him the chance. Mack Brown will kick people off his team for just about any violations reguardless of how good of a player they are (Romance Taylor). This kid could really help us out.

Mack Brown will kick people off his team for just about any violations reguardless of how good of a player they are (Romance Taylor). This kid could really help us out.

Come on. Mack kicked Taylor off because he had depth at RB. You can't tell me he didn't know about Ricky Williams and his know famous pot smoking.

Come on. Mack kicked Taylor off because he had depth at RB. You can't tell me he didn't know about Ricky Williams and his know famous pot smoking.

and Cedric Benson definently enjoyed a toke quite frequently. UT has their pick of whomever they want at any postion...to Mack this is nothing more than a guy transfering out. I am a big propponent of charcter being a HUGE factor in deciding who to bring into your program...no matter how talented the player may be. If this kid is facing pending legal charges and seems to have a track record of similar poor decision making...lets leave him for someone else

If this kid is facing pending legal charges and seems to have a track record of similar poor decision making...lets leave him for someone else

Why should facing pending legal charges automatically discredit someone? Yes, carefully check the circumstances of this incident and his background, and if - AFTER a thorough investigation - you feel he is a bad actor, then absolutely avoid him. But a single arrest shouldn't make him an outcast.

In a world with the Duke rape scandal and the Dallas fake drug scandal, where innocent people were being wrongly arrested, charged, and prosecuted, an arrest does not equal guilt. Hell, in the case of the Dallas fake drug scandal, convictions didn't equal guilt.

Oh my! College kids smoke pot? Not just that, but college kids with the weight of a major univerity's athletic program on their shoulders' relieved some stress by smoking marijuana? Say it ain't so!

Marijuana is a drug that is non addictive, grows naturally all over this planet, serves a thousand different funtions, and does NOTHING to improve athletic ability.

If these kids had been busted with coke or meth, or any other hard drug, I might let this bashing go. But come on, weed? Maybe that's Mack's problem. They were busted with weed and not steroids. If your juiced, then your just trying to be a better player. But if your stoned, your just a slacker, right?

I've got news for you. EVERY D1 program, deals with this. EVERY PROGRAM. Don't throw stones in our glass house.

Sorry for the thread hijack. Countdown to thread lock in 3....2.....1......

GO MEAN GREEN !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why should facing pending legal charges automatically discredit someone? Yes, carefully check the circumstances of this incident and his background, and if - AFTER a thorough investigation - you feel he is a bad actor, then absolutely avoid him. But a single arrest shouldn't make him an outcast.

In a world with the Duke rape scandal and the Dallas fake drug scandal, where innocent people were being wrongly arrested, charged, and prosecuted, an arrest does not equal guilt. Hell, in the case of the Dallas fake drug scandal, convictions didn't equal guilt.

....for that matter, getting sent to prison out of Dallas County doesn't mean you're guilty. I believe the count (the Dallas county prisoners released) is now up to 14.

Does he have a history, or is this a one-time thing?