Cowboy's Jones Wooing Tech

NT80

No to Texas Stadium, but Would RV ever play a game in new Arlington stadium?

Cowboys' Jones wooing Tech

Miller voices displeasure after Jones sells his new stadium in Lubbock

04:53 PM CDT on Wednesday, May 9, 2007

By BRIAN DAVIS / The Dallas Morning News

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones flew to Lubbock on Monday and met with Texas Tech officials to give them a sense of what the team's new stadium will look like upon its completion in 2009.

The message was clear: If Tech is going to play Oklahoma State or anyone else in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, forget the Cotton Bowl. Mr. Jones wants the game in Arlington.

Mr. Jones did not initiate specific negotiations to move any Tech home game from Jones AT&T Stadium to Arlington, athletic director Gerald Myers said. But Mr. Jones' move got Tech officials thinking, and Dallas Mayor Laura Miller is practically steaming.

"Jerry just came out here to show us the plans and show us what the project would be when it's finished," Mr. Myers said. "I'm sure we'll be talking some more. But we didn't set up any time to talk or anything else at this point."

Ms. Miller expressed disappointment Tuesday when told about the meeting. She said she met with Mr. Jones' son, Stephen, about a year and a half ago and pleaded with the team to let Dallas work on bringing games to the Cotton Bowl without the team's interference.

"I said, 'Guys, every time we talk to a school, you call the schools right behind us,' " Ms. Miller said. "I'd like them to just let us get our four weeks of college football. They said the Cotton Bowl was an old, antiquated stadium and nobody wants to play there.

"This just doesn't seem to be in the spirit of regional cooperation. We're helping them with their Super Bowl bid."

Mr. Jones was unavailable for comment Tuesday.

Tech associate athletic director Craig Wells attended the meeting and said the talks were very informal. Mr. Jones showed a marketing DVD that featured a computer-generated look inside the facility. But there was no doubt as to Mr. Jones' intentions.

"He basically said, 'I kid you not, if you're going to do the Oklahoma State game, I wish you would consider doing it in Cowboys Stadium,' " Mr. Wells said.

Mr. Myers said Mr. Jones flew two former members of the Tech board of regents – Jim Sowell and Alan White – to Lubbock with him. Greg McElroy, the Cowboys' vice president of sales and marketing, also attended the meeting.

The meeting lasted about two hours. Before Mr. Jones and Mr. McElroy left town, they met briefly with Tech Chancellor Kent Hance.

The meeting in Lubbock was not planned in advance, Mr. Myers said.

On Thursday, The News reported that Dallas city leaders were close to finalizing a deal that would bring Tech and Oklahoma State to the Cotton Bowl. The Big 12 matchup would be played in conjunction with the State Fair of Texas, most likely in 2008 and 2009.

Mr. Myers indicated the story might have prompted Mr. Jones to fly to Lubbock and showcase what his stadium will offer.

"I think that probably was kind of a little incentive to come out and talk to us," Mr. Myers said. "But I don't know whether he's talked to anybody else or not. He just wants us to see what he's got and think about playing a game there."

Mr. Myers said talks about moving the Tech-OSU game have not progressed since last week.

Oklahoma State athletic director Mike Holder said he has not met with Mr. Jones and does not have any similar meeting in the coming days.

Edited by NT80

What a real stab in the back to Dallas-

If JJ wants to fill his staidum in Arlington, why not call up NT to see if NT would like to

play someone at his stadium ?

By the way-

I drive by that new stadium alot--how in the hell are 100,000 cars going to drive in/out

of that part of Arlington? North part of the staidum - Randall Mill Road-2 lanes/stop lights

at almost every intersection. Then you have Collins on the west side,same thing 2 lanes

n/s, stop light after stop light, then you have Divison on the south border of the stadium,

2 lanes e/w, stop light after stop light. The traffic jams will be a nightmare!

Edited by charlie nt73

Laura Miller and the city could have had a great Cowboys stadium with the Dallas skyline as the backdrop... kinda like the new Seahawks stadium.

Nope. The city shot down any public funding, despite the fact it would have been paid back 10x in tax revenues, fees, DART fares, and increased business downtown.

Worst. Mayor. Ever.

cbg.jpg

So if Jones gets the college games in the new stadium including the Red River Shootout in 2015 or whenever the contract is up in Dallas. What will the Cotton Bowl be used for?

It will suffer the same fate as Birmingham's Legion Field after Bama and Auburn stopped playing their game there. UAB uses it, but it is an aging 1920's structure that recently had it's upper deck removed due to age and safety reasons. It's also in a bad neighborhood.

By the way-

I drive by that new stadium alot--how in the hell are 100,000 cars going to drive in/out

of that part of Arlington? North part of the staidum - Randall Mill Road-2 lanes/stop lights

at almost every intersection. Then you have Collins on the west side,same thing 2 lanes

n/s, stop light after stop light, then you have Divison on the south border of the stadium,

2 lanes e/w, stop light after stop light. The traffic jams will be a nightmare!

I drove through that area a few months back and wondered the same thing. I can only imagine what going that way when leaving the BPiA is like. Texas Stadium 2 will be even harder. And wait until the September days that have both playing!

I drove through that area a few months back and wondered the same thing. I can only imagine what going that way when leaving the BPiA is like. Texas Stadium 2 will be even harder. And wait until the September days that have both playing!

I always said that with the traffic problems, the 400 or so temporary McJobs, the home owners getting screwed by eminent domain... it wasn't a good deal for Arlington.

On the other hand, Dallas had a huge footprint to use by tearing down the Cotton Bowl, and the growing transportation infrastructure that would have easily accommodated 100,000 fans.

Laura Miller and the city could have had a great Cowboys stadium with the Dallas skyline as the backdrop... kinda like the new Seahawks stadium.

Nope. The city shot down any public funding, despite the fact it would have been paid back 10x in tax revenues, fees, DART fares, and increased business downtown.

Worst. Mayor. Ever.

cbg.jpg

Yep, Laura Miller got exactly what she wanted ---> Not losing the yearly Mary Kay convention who threatened to move it out of Dallas if hotel taxes/rates were raised due to stadium funding costs.

You won Laura Miller. You get your Mary Kay convention every year. Now watch the city of Arlington boom and grow past the city of Dallas much like Ft. Worth has left it in the dust.

An absolute disgrace.

As a lifelong North Texan, I feel the Cowboys should be in Dallas.

It will suffer the same fate as Birmingham's Legion Field after Bama and Auburn stopped playing their game there. UAB uses it, but it is an aging 1920's structure that recently had it's upper deck removed due to age and safety reasons. It's also in a bad neighborhood.

Exactly. Years ago, it was used some high school games, but even thats not worth it. I love the icon that is the Cotton Bowl, but unfortunately, if it's only being used for the Prarie View game, then it's not really justifying it's worth as a piece of real-estate, and probably should be torn down. The thing will just become a huge maintenance and liability nightmare.

I stopped going to games at the Cotton Bowl when my knees were shoved up under my chin in the way too close for comfort seats. Tried again when FC Dallas (Dallas Burn) played their home games at the Cotton Bowl. Great pitch quality (even the World Cup was played in the Cotton Bowl and I was there for all the games), but the place is a dump! Looks bad, smells bad, etc., etc. Bad concession areas, terrible restrooms, uncomfortable seats and that doesn't even mention the neighborhood it sits in...tough to get to, tough to park and you may not have a car when you come out! My wife will go anywhere for a games, EXCEPT the Cotton Bowl...and we went to many New Year's day Cotton Bowl games in our day! So.....too bad Mayor Miller...the place is a dump. Will take lots more $$$$ than you think to bring it up to "standard". My guess...after the TX-OU contract expires, it's bye bye Cotton Bowl...hello Arlington. As for OSU-Tech...good idea...I hope they land the game, but I don't think it's a "long term" solution for OSU and Tech Dallas recruiting....again...hello Arlington.

But, as far as Jerry Jones flying out to Tech...NO CLASS...NO CLASS AT ALL! That's pure Jerry being Jerry...the poster boy for the "What's in it for me generation". If he wanted the game why did he wait until Dallas was close to signing them up to head to Tech?????? Jerry's like a little kid who doesn't want a toy LIKE yours he wants YOUR TOY! No class, Jerry, no class at all.

I stopped going to games at the Cotton Bowl when my knees were shoved up under my chin in the way too close for comfort seats. Tried again when FC Dallas (Dallas Burn) played their home games at the Cotton Bowl. Great pitch quality (even the World Cup was played in the Cotton Bowl and I was there for all the games), but the place is a dump! Looks bad, smells bad, etc., etc. Bad concession areas, terrible restrooms, uncomfortable seats and that doesn't even mention the neighborhood it sits in...tough to get to, tough to park and you may not have a car when you come out! My wife will go anywhere for a games, EXCEPT the Cotton Bowl...and we went to many New Year's day Cotton Bowl games in our day! So.....too bad Mayor Miller...the place is a dump. Will take lots more $$$$ than you think to bring it up to "standard". My guess...after the TX-OU contract expires, it's bye bye Cotton Bowl...hello Arlington. As for OSU-Tech...good idea...I hope they land the game, but I don't think it's a "long term" solution for OSU and Tech Dallas recruiting....again...hello Arlington.

But, as far as Jerry Jones flying out to Tech...NO CLASS...NO CLASS AT ALL! That's pure Jerry being Jerry...the poster boy for the "What's in it for me generation". If he wanted the game why did he wait until Dallas was close to signing them up to head to Tech?????? Jerry's like a little kid who doesn't want a toy LIKE yours he wants YOUR TOY! No class, Jerry, no class at all.