Would You Rather

eppy4life

The biggest reason in getting a new stadium would be to get into a better conference. Why would you want to pass up the opportunity to get into a new conference to get a new stadium to maybe have the 'possibility' get into another conference in 10 yrs? Doesn't make sense to me. Seems the smart thing would be that if we can get into another conference with our current stadium and bypass having to get another one built first, do it. Then build the new stadium in the new conference. You can build a stadium anytime but can't get into another conference anytime.

If we built a new stadium first, then we would get to play the 'no-name' teams we already play, which no one comes to, in a new stadium. I do not believe ppl dont come to the games because we play at fouts field a crappy stadium, but rather because of the lack of quality of the teams we play.

Why put a band-aid over a gaping wound?

I do not believe people don't come to the games because we play at fouts field, a crappy stadium, but rather because of the lack of quality of the teams we play.

---Agree ----however in the case of some teams, they won't come to Fouts Field because of its SIZE of the stadium and the because of that the "gate" will not be very large so they play elsewhere (plus not enough space to meet their fan's needs). We are back to the chicken and egg again, one variable affects the other (differential equations anyone??)

Stadium-

A modern, 1st class stadium will bring in the fans, recruits, top teams,

and a better conference. Buit it and they will come!

Yes this is true. They will come to the first game. Then what. They're going to come see Florida Int. because now the game is played in a nicer stadium? Forget that it would take a new stadium to get into a new conferece (I don't see why it would). The question is which would you prefer?

IMHO, this is not an either/or proposition. One choice begets the other. Due to the size of the commitment and the lead time, we need to be going balls-to-the-wall on the stadium TODAY.

IMHO, this is not an either/or proposition. One choice begets the other. Due to the size of the commitment and the lead time, we need to be going balls-to-the-wall on the stadium TODAY.

Good point. I think a conference change would build up the program more immediately than a stadium change, but about all we can do about a conference change is sit by the phone and wait.

Stadium. Conferences change with the wind...the kind of money it would take to get a stadium on the other hand may be a once in a century opportunity.

Good point! The prestige levels of the Sun Belt and, for instance, C-USA could wildly fluctuate over the course of the next ten years. One or both of the two conferences may not even exist in a decade.

Good question, but the answer is definitely Conference. Better conference opponents will attract more fans = more $ for new facilities later. (BTW, UT still won't come to a new 30K stadium at UNT). Did a new SuperPit get us into a new conference> No. Did a 70,000 seat stadium help Rice get into the Big12> No. It's all about the conference first, facilities second!

The stadium is much more within our ability to do something. As difficult as it may be to raise the funds, it is not contingent on a vote from SMU or TCU or whomever. And we may need a new stadium to get a conference to vote for us.

However, this topic does lead to an interesting follow-up question, which is also at the heart of the stadium debate:

Do you spend less on a stadium today, build a respectable but not spectacular stadium, then parlay that into entry into a better conference?

Does the better conference then act as a base to pull in better opponents, increase attendance, and build the program, allowing for a significant stadium upgrade later on?

Which, now that I think of it, kind of sounds like what RV is doing. Maybe that's why the direction may be to not build it bigger and better today, like we're all itching for, and instead build it respectable and upgrade later after the conference situation is improved.

I think a conference change would build up the program more immediately than a stadium change, but about all we can do about a conference change is sit by the phone and wait.

EXACTLY! The stadium is more in our hands, whereas the conference change is completely out of our hands. So back to the original question. IF we had 2 choices a) conference (which we agree we have no control over and if the opp. presented itself should take it immediately) or B) stadium (which we could build anytime, in any conference, period). Either one is a win in my book, but if another conference wants us 'jump-on-it, jump, jump, jump-on-it' because we may not have another opportunity for a long long time, if ever.

We must look at what will bring more ppl to the games, not what the patiently awating alumni on GMG have been wanting for 30 yrs. As eppy said, a new stadium will have a great showing the first game and maybe any OOC team that the fans have heard of, but outside of that, you're back to square one. And we dont need a new stadium to change conferences, although it wouldn't hurt any.

NOW for factual information...talking with RV and asking him what steps were being taken, if any, in regard to getting into a different conference. He mentioned that he didn't see it happening in the next couple of years and he thought the SBC was getting better, while the other conferences were getting worse (insert disagreement here). He did make note that he wants to get the new stadium up and ready to go. I gathered that he had very little, if any, intention on aggressively seeking a new conference. I think this is a BIG mistake but....

NOW for factual information...talking with RV and asking him what steps were being taken, if any, in regard to getting into a different conference. He mentioned that he didn't see it happening in the next couple of years and he thought the SBC was getting better, while the other conferences were getting worse (insert disagreement here). He did make note that he wants to get the new stadium up and ready to go. I gathered that he had very little, if any, intention on aggressively seeking a new conference. I think this is a BIG mistake but....

CUSA knows we want in it, from the last rodeo. We can't burn bridges yet within the SBC. We shouldn't really throw all our hopes on just one conference by publicly saying we only want in "x" conference. What if the MWC calls for a travel partner for TCU or a couple conferences implode and a new SWC begins to form? We wait for an opening then apply (but build a 90,000 seat stadium in the meantime :D ).

Edited by NT80

I go to the NT games to see North Texas, first and foremost, regardless of who NT is

playing. Now, my interest level will climb, if the opponent is a "name" team.

I like going to the games, and the games are more fun when we kick the crap

of our opponet.

I feel the quickest way to the football heavens, is something NT can do now-

Build a quality 1st class stadium. Next, get all the NT fans involved- not to see

the new stadium, but, to see NT play! Winning will bring fans back to see NT, and

will fill the stadium! A good stadium, will help bring the top FB teams to NT!

One of the resaons, C-DOA, did not even think of adding NT, was the fan base-

I beleive NT fans should sell out Fouts every game this year!

It is a real shame, there are so many NT alums here in the DFW metroplex that

do not give a rats ass about what is going on at NT!

Both but if I had to choose.......Hands Down it gotta be the STADIUM!!

Conference quality is all about perception, and it ebbs and flow through the years. Case in point the Sun Belt isn't as bad as it was just a few years ago. It's aleady passed the MAC in Sagarin ratings. Who know where it will be in 10 years? The SBC is improving however so slowly. The Conferendce can get better, Fouts is never going to get better.

Make no mistake, one of the things keeping us out of CUSA was facilities. A new stadium will help that. And a new stadium will bring OOC opponents that people will want to see. Sure you're not going to get Texas or Notre Dame to come to Denton but Ok State has come to 30k seat Ford Stadium at SMU, Missouri has visited Troy. Baylor has come to FOUTS for gosh sakes. With a new 40k stadium we can get some lower echilon big 12 teams, TCU, the Acadamies.

We have to invited to a new conference, something we have no control over other than to make ourselves attracitve as possible. Louisville used to play in a minor league baseball park, Since they've built Papa Johns Stadium look where they have gone. Let's follow that model.

New Stadium = more fan interest = more attractive OOC opponents at home= bigger attendance = better recruits= more winning= A NEW CONFERENCE

It is a real shame, there are so many NT alums here in the DFW metroplex that

do not give a rats ass about what is going on at NT!

I think this response is sad but very true. And I think it actually relates to the "New Chant" thread that's been going on for days. If you look at the big time schools and why they get so much support it's because going to the game is more than "going to a game." Women love going to A&M games, not because they love football, but because it is an event. DFW Aggies who don't watch any A&M football games on TV will travel if they can get tickets because it is a memory every game they go to. Only big time football fans go to the North Texas football games. This is what I think we need to change.

I think this response is sad but very true. And I think it actually relates to the "New Chant" thread that's been going on for days. If you look at the big time schools and why they get so much support it's because going to the game is more than "going to a game." Women love going to A&M games, not because they love football, but because it is an event. DFW Aggies who don't watch any A&M football games on TV will travel if they can get tickets because it is a memory every game they go to. Only big time football fans go to the North Texas football games. This is what I think we need to change.

We are not at the point yet where NT fans come just to see NT play, or for the support of the school. To many it's the matchup, the opponent that determines which if any game they come to. Would you invite your neighbor to see the FAU or Navy game? Would you travel to see OU or FIU?

We are not at the point yet where NT fans come just to see NT play, or for the support of the school. To many it's the matchup, the opponent that determines which if any game they come to. Would you invite your neighbor to see the FAU or Navy game? Would you travel to see OU or FIU?

Point for new conference.