Unt Traditions/spirit Committee (steps To Success)

There is a huge variation in green and for that fact what people call Kelly. I think more mid green colors are showing up this year...which is good I simply order a piece and see what it looks like.

Does Marshall use a Kelly Green? They usually look good on TV, except for those white helmets... :P

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does Marshall use a Kelly Green? They usually look good on TV, except for those white helmets... :P

From what I can find their color is listed as Kelly Green. Sometime in the past they went to a darker shade of green I believe called Gridiron Green. There has been some uprising since the movie came out to go back to the lighter shade of Kelly. I'm not absolutely sure about the name Gridiron Green however. Check out this petition page I found...sounds kinda familiar. www.petitionspot.com/petitions/kellygreen I couldn't make the link work, maybe someone else can.

I don't mean to solicit or advertise but...I have had a CLC license to produce UNT merchandise for 3 years. My brother and I have been selling in MG Village for the past 2 seasons and have had a tiny web site set up for the past 2 1/2 years. I have sold pretty well prior to football games but the web site has been almost non existent. Adverti$ing has been an issue. There are several problems; 1. The Bookstore and Voertman's can only purchase merchandise from a supplier that is licensed to produce UNT merchandise. Those suppliers DO NOT make special provisions for the color the University is using. Most of them sell for multiple Universities. UNT uses Pantone color 356, a very specific green but that has nothing to do with the color af clothing. They are at the mercy of suppliers so when ordering "kelly" there is no guessing what color will show up. 2. UNT does not sell enough merchandise for the retailer to require the manufacturers to produce a specific color or the quantity to commission the apperal to be produced for them. I would guess Michigan State, Marshall, ND all have retailers that produce logoed garments that are the correct color. 3. When the University changed the color I had just finished the second half of the football season so I had the "old" thread on hand. When I got the new thread color it is VERY difficult to pick out which is old and which is new so the branding color is very similar. 3. The University wanted lighter colored clothing and unis because it stands out more on TV etc. so they contracted with a company that would offer more "kelly green" which if you look at their web site, they don't. It has been very difficult to find the true Mean Green color but I have done it. With ALL of that said here is the bottom line...I am in the middle of a new web site(same address) that will offer far more of the correct color of Mean Green than is currently available, I will be selling in MG Village prior to football games and I am working on retail space for a more permenant spirit shop. Any one with questions please e-mail me and I will be happy to share my experiences with you. todd@shopmeangreen.com

Thank you, ShopMeanGreen, for supporting the Mean Green with your business.

I stopped by your tent last year during tailgating. Great stuff! I never bought anything, but I'll make it a point to make a purchase next year.

Please let us know when your new site is up. I'm sure all Mean Green fans will love to see what you have to offer.

As Mean Green fans, we should all support businesses that support the Mean Green!

Also, I emailed Nick Williams (Director of Green Brigade) to ask him if he could shed some light on the "old" fight song. I asked if there was any possibility of a recording out there that we could hear. My curiosity is killing me now with this. I'll cut and paste when he emails me back. Ive emailed him to thank him for the performances I've seen at all the home games I went to last year, he always responds. Nice guy...

FYI - Nick Williams emailed me back today in regard to the above statement I posted earlier. Couldnt exactly answer the question, but it's still kinda interesting.

Hi Tom. There was a different version. I am not aware of when it changed, as our records don't show the date.

As far as extant scores, I have a framed copy of "Fight, North Texas" in my office. It's a version for Male Vocal Quartet. It is slightly different than the current version. And, what many people may not know is that we (band office) had in our possession, until last fall, the ORIGINAL copy of the fight song...on the original paper...it was attached to a plaque several years ago. We have loaned it to the NT Exes office to be displayed there. It is, at very least, an interesting part of our history that is on display in the alumni center.

I hope this helps a bit.

=NW=

Nicholas Williams

Assistant Director of Wind Studies/

Director of the Green Brigade Marching Band

University of North Texaswww.music.unt.edu/windstudies

As far as extant scores, I have a framed copy of "Fight, North Texas" in my office. It's a version for Male Vocal Quartet. It is slightly different than the current version.

Would you believe, besides owning an incredible, classic Wurlitzer Jukebox from the 40's or 50's, our very own Mo Green owns an original vinyl record(loaded into the Wurlitzer of course) of this very song that was sent to him by someone who found it in a box in the attic of Chilton Hall when the restoration began on it back in the 90's. The song was recorded by the quartet of that era, although I don't remember what year, 40ish seems like?

Rick

"Hi Tom. There was a different version. I am not aware of when it changed, as our records don't show the date. "

Thanks, Tom for contacting him about this. As I know most of the details about the change, I will contact him about this.

Maurice McAdow used to enjoy arranging the fight song and Alma Mater for men's quartet. The vocalists were always band members, not voice majors. I have mentioned this before, but I have a "green" record with favorites from the marching band, recorded in the early sixties, I think. It has all the fanfares, marches ( McAdow liked to play circus marches as well) that the old timers will remember.