Excited About Our Recruiting Class So Far

BonfireBrian

Auburn didn't win because USC was also undefeated that year. The BCS awarded the title to USC.

If UNT and Texas A&M were the only undefeated D-1A teams next year the BCS would give the title to Texas A&M. If you dispute that, you are a delusional UNT football fan.

My point is never is a long time. When NT hosted Florida State at Fouts in the 70's we were the older, more established program, look at them now.

Or, if you want some thing more recent, USF is now in a BCS conference... where were they a few years ago when we played them?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont think our enrollment is higher than Colorado and Nebraska. If its higher then not by much I think but I may be wrong. I think Missouri has a ton of students too.

Check it out, i'm not sure, but i think we look good on this. The wife went to LSU and i know we're right there with them.

Guest JohnDenver

That Texas A&M offer must have had a short expiration. There is no way that Texas A&M offer was still on the table when this kid committed to UNT. I love UNT, but a kid would have to be crazy to choose to play football for UNT over Texas A&M (unless there is some crazy circumstance like he has a ailing mother who lives in Denton or he wants to pursue a career in jazz or something like that). Texas A&M is not one of our natural recruiting rivals. We just can't compete with them.

All kinds of reasons... like one very strange one (besides a ailing dog or drowning newt collection) .

He may be a BENCH player for three years and get one year to MAYBE start.

Who would pass up on the opportunity to play Div-1a ball and be a starter for three years? He must be crazy.

Who chose UNT over Texas A&M? I don't believe that.

---Some of recruits realize they may not get a lot of playing time elsewhere and really don't think they have NFL possibilities so they prefer to play where they can play or excel. No doubt a few pick schools because of location or academic reasons... [ Yes we do have some programs that are better than A&Ms and many others ] There is always the girl-friend and buddy factor as well plus a few honor the tradition of family of where they went.

---It always amazes me that several recruits would select Utah, Nevada, etc. where their friends and family would almost never see them play ... the exception might be a high profile program such as Notre Dame or USC.

---Interesting fact -- We have one player in the NFL Hall of Fame (Joe Greene).... the exact same amount as A&M (Lary) and Baylor (Singletary) and more than Rice and TxTech who have none. SMU has several but only one that attended college after 1960 (Dickerson) and the same is true for UT (Campbell) and TCU (Lilly).

That Texas A&M offer must have had a short expiration. There is no way that Texas A&M offer was still on the table when this kid committed to UNT. I love UNT, but a kid would have to be crazy to choose to play football for UNT over Texas A&M (unless there is some crazy circumstance like he has a ailing mother who lives in Denton or he wants to pursue a career in jazz or something like that). Texas A&M is not one of our natural recruiting rivals. We just can't compete with them.

Dude, you make a comment like that, you dont love UNT. People do actually attend this university for reasons other than blowing a horn or painting a picture. Brace yourself for this logic, but sometimes maybe the reason someone didnt choose a school is because it just isnt the right "fit". I dont recall the University Brochure having a section that read "best place to attend if you have sick family in town, says D-Magazine" If you love A&M, great, but that comment was nothing short of insulting to the people on this board that DO love the school, and like myself, graduated from there. You can back up your football stats all you want, some might even be true, but it doesnt give you creative license to interpret the reason someone chose a place to attend college must have been something completely stupid. You owe the members of this board an apology.

Edited by trud1966

--- You also might note that North Texas had the first accredited computer science college program in America and that there are a lot of those jobs a few miles away in the North Dallas/Richardson area. There are a lot of other great programs at UNT as well. There are days I wish people would just forget we have music and education departments... we are a great deal more than that although we have exceled at those two areas as well.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

*puts my green goggles on*

Can I just throw in an x-factor into all this? I'd like to suggest that the influence of Todd Dodges success's/potential might actually have these kids excited about us as an academic institution AND football program Is it so far fetched that these kids get revved at the thought of not only some actually playing time early in their careers, but also at the idea of actually taking on and WINNING against the A&Ms/Sooners of the world in, say, 3-5 years?

*puts my green goggles on*

Can I just throw in an x-factor into all this? I'd like to suggest that the influence of Todd Dodges success's/potential might actually have these kids excited about us as an academic institution AND football program Is it so far fetched that these kids get revved at the thought of not only some actually playing time early in their careers, but also at the idea of actually taking on and WINNING against the A&Ms/Sooners of the world in, say, 3-5 years?

I know of several people who went to the "big-time schools" and were disappointed. They were all-staters who rode the bench for their entire time and played a few minutes their senior year...what a colossal disappointment. They wished they had come to a place like UNT and used their talents and developed their talents, and then who knows what would have happened? Even if the NFL never happened for them, at least they could have truly contributed and enjoyed the game.

Who chose UNT over Texas A&M? I don't believe that.

Well then, there's the main problem. If a North Texas graduate can't believe it, then why should we expect the recruits that we go after to believe that North Texas is a perfectly viable option to A$M...or any other D-1 school in Texas for that matter.

It isn't delusional to believe in your school. If we're such an unworthy school, then Todd Dodge would have said "no thanks" to us, just like he did to Rice.

We all had better start doing our part to promote this football program. If we expect Todd Dodge to do it all for us, then we'll end up missing another golden opportunity to move forward like we did with Hayden Fry.

When Hayden Fry took over as head coach back in 73, you couldn't have made him say that A$M (or any other SWC school) was better than North Texas...even if you held a gun to his head.

We must all have the same mind-set.....it's worked well for A$M all these years.

Well then, there's the main problem. If a North Texas graduate can't believe it, then why should we expect the recruits that we go after to believe that North Texas is a perfectly viable option to A$M...or any other D-1 school in Texas for that matter.

It isn't delusional to believe in your school. If we're such an unworthy school, then Todd Dodge would have said "no thanks" to us, just like he did to Rice.

We all had better start doing our part to promote this football program. If we expect Todd Dodge to do it all for us, then we'll end up missing another golden opportunity to move forward like we did with Hayden Fry.

When Hayden Fry took over as head coach back in 73, you couldn't have made him say that A$M (or any other SWC school) was better than North Texas...even if you held a gun to his head.

We must all have the same mind-set.....it's worked well for A$M all these years.

Good post. North Texas is a great school, with an excellent education, an up-and-coming football/athletics department, and if you haven't seen UNT's master plan yet, it will also be one of the most beautiful campuses around as well.

And on top of the aforementioned reasons, who would want to live in College Station anyway? Big football crowds or not, I get depressed just driving through that place.

no kidding. I have to drive through it to get to Dallas (round about way to Madisonville to avoid the mess that is the Woodlands and Conroe friday afternoons) and it whips me to death. Although, I would gladly take half their crowd on any given saturday!

And on top of the aforementioned reasons, who would want to live in College Station anyway? Big football crowds or not, I get depressed just driving through that place.

I was at A&M in 1963 for a couple of months attending a specialized program. We stayed on campus at the Student Union Building (hotel). Great faculty & nice campus.

Side notes. 1963 was a big year of change for the Aggies. Name changed from Texas A&M College to Texas A&M University & from all male to co-ed.

Edited by MeanGreen61

Dude, you make a comment like that, you dont love UNT. People do actually attend this university for reasons other than blowing a horn or painting a picture. Brace yourself for this logic, but sometimes maybe the reason someone didnt choose a school is because it just isnt the right "fit". I dont recall the University Brochure having a section that read "best place to attend if you have sick family in town, says D-Magazine" If you love A&M, great, but that comment was nothing short of insulting to the people on this board that DO love the school, and like myself, graduated from there. You can back up your football stats all you want, some might even be true, but it doesnt give you creative license to interpret the reason someone chose a place to attend college must have been something completely stupid. You owe the members of this board an apology.

My wife is a wonderful cook and I could not love another person more. Rachael Ray is a better cook than my wife, yet I do not love Rachael Ray. Can you understand the logic? UNT has a wonderful football program and I could not love another football program more. Texas A&M has a better football program than UNT, yet I do not love Texas A&M.

Why do I owe the board an apology? Is it because I live in a place called "reality" and I understand that by almost any measurable means the Texas A&M football program is superior to the UNT football program? By the way, as far as TAMU goes, it could all burn down during the next bonfire and I wouldn't care. Maybe then we'd have a better football program than them.

Go Todd Dodge!!!

Edited by MG Insurance Pro

My wife is a wonderful cook and I could not love another person more. Rachael Ray is a better cook than my wife, yet I do not love Rachael Ray. Can you understand the logic? UNT has a wonderful football program and I could not love another football program more. Texas A&M has a better football program than UNT, yet I do not love Texas A&M.

Why do I owe the board an apology? Is it because I live in a place called "reality" and I understand that by almost any measurable means the Texas A&M football program is superior to the UNT football program? By the way, as far as TAMU goes, it could all burn down during the next bonfire and I wouldn't care. Maybe then we'd have a better football program than them.

Go Todd Dodge!!!

You missed his point. We all know that, as it stands right now, A&M is a more highly regarded football program in the eyes of the media and Average Joe Football Fan. It's just that this "no way" quip you shoot out implies that if 10 players are offered scholllies to play at UNT and A&M, then every single one of them defaults to an Aggie because of this supposed status difference.

Remember the day before you began to get to know your wife? Say you know her as well as you know Rachel Ray right now. You're not going to choose (marry) Ray JUST because she makes a better meal, are you?

These kids get to know the program, get to see the beautiful metroplex, an opportunity to play immediately...and suddenly it's a match made in heaven.