$1.5 Million Football Stadium Donation Officially Given At Bb Gam

NT80

January 25, 2007

UNT receives huge donation

Shirley and Al Goldfield gave North Texas a big boost in its pursuit of building a new football stadium during halftime of the Mean Green's game agianst Middle Tennessee on Thursday.

The couple gave the UNT athletic department $1.5 million toward construction of a new football stadium to replace Fouts Field. The donation is the second seven-figure gift the school has received for a new stadium.

Posted by Brett Vito at 08:11 PM

What/when was the first stadium donation?

I'm as confused as NT80,or maybe 80's as confused as me, about the second donation reference. The Goldfields are the donors announced weeks ago. This was the formal, big-check-prop, grip-and-grin presentation from that earlier annoucement. So it can't be the second recent seven-figure donation, can it?

Like Buzz, I, too, wanted more people to stand and applaud, although a good many did, and I didn't think it took any of the shine off the moment. Al referred to Rick and Gretchen by first names, and everybody sat together at courtside to watch the rest of a very finely played and coached basketball game, and all seemed smiles and satisfaction.

All in all, it was a very good evening.

Edited by Green to the Bone

I'm as confused as NT80,or maybe 80's as confused as me, about the second donation reference. The Goldfields are the donors announced weeks ago. This was the formal, big-check-prop, grip-and-grin presentation from that earlier annoucement. So it can't be the second recent seven-figure donation, can it?

Like Buzz, I, too, wanted more people to stand and applaud, although a good many did, and I didn't think it took any of the shine off the moment. Al referred to Rick and Gretchen by first names, and everybody sat together at courtside to watch the rest of a very finely played and coached basketball game, and all seemed smiles and satisfaction.

All in all, it was a very good evening.

Did this happen at halftime?

Rick

As its been said and I will very loosely paraphrase as I cannot remember the exact quotation but: A 1,000 mile journey begins with the first step.

The geat thing about folks like the Goldfields is the fact that people that have the kind of bucks they reportedly have can end that 1,000 mile journey with the next step. I think that is what we will see at UNT whether that be from the Goldfields or someone with similar coffer$.

i think its great that we got this donation towards the new stadium, but it is clear we need more. i found this interesting page about UW's fundraising and how if we could even accomplish half of what they do we would be in great shape.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/loca...uwmoney26m.html

Yep...LONG way to go folks. It is a very generous gift though, and hopefully it will encourage other big donor prospects to give.

It was great to see this presentation at the basketball game, though I have to admit I was a little pissed off at the people that didn't get off their ass and stand up and cheer for the Goldfields.

I was there also. In defense of those in attendance, it is really difficult to understand anything announced in the Super Pit. Countless times I looked at my dad and asked him if he could understand anything over the microphone.

One thing I thought I heard was Mr. Goldfield stating that the donation for a better stadium could possibly get us to a better conference. It made RV noticeably uncomfortable as he sheepishly lowered his head.

One thing I thought I heard was Mr. Goldfield stating that the donation for a better stadium could possibly get us to a better conference. It made RV noticeably uncomfortable as he sheepishly lowered his head.

I noticed that as well, but don't think for a minute RV would turn down CUSA or the MAC. (The WAC is a crap conference with the exception of a few teams and would severely limit our budget and upward mobility. For example see LoserTech.)

I noticed that as well, but don't think for a minute RV would turn down CUSA or the MAC. (The WAC is a crap conference with the exception of a few teams and would severely limit our budget and upward mobility. For example see LoserTech.)

Does anyone know how far Texas State is from becoming Div 1A? I think they would be a great rivalry for NT to start with them.

MAC? How far would that nearest rival be?

It was great to see this presentation at the basketball game, though I have to admit I was a little pissed off at the people that didn't get off their ass and stand up and cheer for the Goldfields.

Im still trying to figure out why this wasn't done at the Football Banquet. :unsure: Oh well Im just glad we got the $$ and thank GOD for the Golfields.

What about Goldfield Stadium and paint the grass... gold ??? :)