SLC to play Colleyville Heritage Dec 9th Final

OldTimer

SLC and Colleyville Heitage played in their 5-5A district with SLC winning 10-3. Colleyville Herigage beat South Grand Prarie 38-14

Something dumb when teams in the same district have to play each other again in state playoffs.

But I would believe next Saturday is the last game of the year so we will have an answer of TD if our head coach has not been chosen before then.

SLC and Colleyville Heitage played in their 5-5A district with SLC winning 10-3.  Colleyville Herigage beat South Grand Prarie 38-14

Something dumb when teams in the same district have to play each other again in state playoffs.

But I would believe next Saturday is the last game of the year so we will have an answer of TD if our head coach has not been chosen before then.

Next week is the Region final and SLC beat Heritage 56-7 in week 5. I don't think that TD will be free after next week.

Edited by Eagle-96

This week was the regional semifinal. Next week (December 8-9) is the Regional Final. After that comes the state semifinals, December 15-16, and the state final on Saturday, December 23. So if they keep winning, Southlake has three more games to go.

In other words, there's a very good chance that Todd Dodge will not be available to even have serious discussions about the job until after Christmas.

This week was the regional semifinal. Next week (December 8-9) is the Regional Final. After that comes the state semifinals, December 15-16, and the state final on Saturday, December 23. So if they keep winning, Southlake has three more games to go.

In other words, there's a very good chance that Todd Dodge will not be available to even have serious discussions about the job until after Christmas.

You think if SLC wins the State title it would be easier for Dodge to leave his son during his senior season ??

Looks like the are on the path to meet up with a very good Spring Westfield team who already has 5 shutouts this season.

You think if SLC wins the State title it would be easier for Dodge to leave his son during his senior season ??

Looks like the are on the path to meet up with a very good Spring Westfield team who already has 5 shutouts this season.

I'll give you a good one: several years ago, the head football coach at Lewisville High lived in Denton, where his daughter was a cheerleader at Denton High. So she was cheering against her father's team when DHS and LHS met.

It might not be easy for Dodge to leave Southlake before his son's senior year, but it's not like he'd have to move his family or he'd have to move to the otherside of the country. With his son in school here, it actually helps that he'd be able to start his college head-coaching career without having to uproot his family.

It might not be easy for Dodge to leave Southlake before his son's senior year, but it's not like he'd have to move his family or he'd have to move to the otherside of the country. With his son in school here, it actually helps that he'd be able to start his college head-coaching career without having to uproot his family.

So you live in Southlake?

we can wait. be patient. we cant in a rush and end up with a right tackle coach from anywhere university.

Anywhere university and their line-players may very well have done better than 3-9 this year.

Too many people on this baord expect this program to pull in some hot shot coach.

A very good coach is a reasonable expectation, but careful on taking it overboard.

Anywhere university and their line-players may very well have done better than 3-9 this year.

Too many people on this baord expect this program to pull in some hot shot coach.

A very good coach is a reasonable expectation, but careful on taking it overboard.

Now SpaceMonkey, that sounds just like more SBC/Bottom 10 stinkin' thinkin' (to borrow a Ziz Ziglar term)...and the kind of thinking the DD crowd would persevere and have many on this board to believe as to keep all this Small Time at UNT (so they could keep their jobs since a Big Time U (NT) would most likely never allow them to do that with their annual SBC pace and still keep their jobs) rolleyes.gifNOTE: Anyone ever hear DD say "now we need to upgrade our across the board recruiting so an SBC football champion can also be a Top 25 ranked program, much like the WAC and the MAC's are?"

FWIW, I never did hear those kind of words from DD ever, but I did see someone whose actions indicated he was quite comfortable with the SBC/Bottom 10 status quo' (and even during 4 bowl years did he not push for improved recruiting across the board with the the proof in the puddin' with that is that he is no longer employed in Mean Green Country anymore). blink.gif

...but SpaceMonkey, there are many on this board who remember the days before all our "non-graduated" UNT leaders "wouldn't give a rat's ass once they left Denton" and with such UNT leadership who thru the years just kept on taking this athletic program back to the womb time and time again. Wonder what kind of leadership Boise State has had during that same span of time? rolleyes.gif

There was a time when a much smaller UNT did actually "go overboard" (as you say it) to hire a future College Football Hall of Fame head football coach at our main campus in Denton that you may have heard of; no names mentioned but his initials are: Hayden Fry... rolleyes.gif

When Fry was coach in Denton UNT had a little over 16,000 students, Denton had 39,000 population and Denton County with 99,000 citizens was even referred to in the Texas Almanac back in the mid-70's as a rural county.

FOR YOU NEWBIE'S AND NEW LURKERS: THE TIMES THEY ARE A-CHANGIN':

Present UNT enrollment.............Approx. 34,000

Present Denton citizens..........................100,000

Present Denton County citizens....approx.600,000 (larger than New Orleans before Katrina)

IMO, had we not received so much bad national publicity with DD's last few classless weeks (which was no real surprise to some of us that it would happen this way)......

.............and with DD's black unis' disgrace (with his explanations of the reasons for those being even worse) and then all the national news that UNT would name anything after a coach with a 42W**62L career.............

............I think we may have had a few more of the usual "un-SBC" type prospective coaches to apply for this UNT job (as we have before BTW), but its like Darrell K. Royal said about cock-roaches (when I post of some we've had in Denton) and that's when Royal said..........."it's what they fall into that they mess up." ph34r.gif Our athletic program across the board varsity sports records of the last 25 plus years suggests we've had our share of cockroaches at our main campus' athletic program.

DD made his own big splash when he fell into his own and even many who were pro-DD to the bitter end even ended their support when they saw what they had really been supporting. I was even part of that group until the worse loss in Fouts Field history and that the 2005 Tulsa game last year woke me up big time--or in other words, that was the defining moments when my own light bulb finally turned very brightly as to what we had really been getting in Denton, Texas, America.

Wish we only had more who would tell UNT officials: We deserve no less than what Boise State is getting--in fact, with our past history in the modern era of NCAA D1-A (which would even be more impressive than BSU's since we've been D1 longer)--we deserve much more.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I didn't understand half that post. Largely due to rambling sentences with little structure.

But I think you took mine out of context.

As stated, a very good coach is expected, but it seems that a lot of people have "gone overboard" with their expectations, acting like UNT ought to be commanding big time resume's and names.

Hayden Fry is a Hall of Famer, but when he came to UNT he wasn't the hottest coach in America.

He'd had some good success, yes, but there were surely people who weren't fully satisfied with that hire.

All coaches started out as "some position coach" at "some university".

Some folks need to get over themselves and focus on good coaches, rather than names and glamour.

Case in point: Since you mentioned Boise State:

Chris Petersen was on the coaching staff at Oregon before going to Boise State. Prior to that in 1993 and 94 he was the Quarterbacks coach at Portland State University.

Whoever implied that position coaches at anywhere U had no place coaching was clearly dead on target.

Edited by SpaceMonkey

Great post, Monkey.

That's the point, PMG - it's not "bottom feeder thinkin'", it's reality. Boise State and their "amazing forward thinkers" have a QB coach from Portland State and career assistant at the helm. He's not remotely sexy, he's not remotely a big name (even still), he's just a DAMN GOOD COACH. The right guy in the right place... that and that alone is what we need.

Attendance and dollars will be infinitely more affected by a no-name right tackles coach at anywhere u who can COACH and WIN BIG than it would a brief surge by a big name people are familiar with who doesn't win. Beyond a slight initial spike, WINNING IS ALL THAT MATTERS. Building the program the right way, for the long haul, is all I care about. Do that, everything else takes care of itself.

That being said, another part of the "BIG TIME, BIG NAME" logic I don't understand -- a hot, young, star-on-the-rise SEC coordinator wasn't what you wanted -- neither is an established, big name SEC coordinator who big time BCS schools want... no, you want a high school coach with name recognition that fizzles out somewhere around the Red River and not one second of collegiate experience in the last decade PLUS.

I'm not saying Dodge wouldn't be a good choice, I'd support it 100%, as I would just about any name I've heard here -- I just don't get the logic that calls so many of us "small time, DD supporting bottom feeders", when you support both big, sexy names, doing what BSU does (something entirely different than that), and hiring a high school coach (something entirely different still).

Guest Aquila_Viridis

Interesting point about Boise State.  The former coach who brought them into the national spotlight was Dirk Koetter, who was recently fired by Arizona State.

I'd gladly take someone with a winning record in the PAC10 and those results at Boise.

It would be nice to find a coach who is getting a buy-out AND he would like to use the money we could save to bring in good coordinators.

EXACTLY !!! He just signed an extension last year I believe , so $$$ wouldn't be a concern for him , unless he's a greedy bastard. Even if he was greedy , tis the season not to be tongue.gif

Interesting point about Boise State.  The former coach who brought them into the national spotlight was Dirk Koetter, who was recently fired by Arizona State.

there are a lot of openings this year for coaches. that could be bad for us or it could be good. there are some good candidates who lost their jobs. this koetter guy could probably have alot of success in the sbc. i'm personally pulling for dodge. i think we could find someone higher on the list than a position coach from a program other than a top tier bcs program. also, has anyone heard rumors from jimbo fisher since this wknd.

there are a lot of openings this year for coaches. that could be bad for us or it could be good. there are some good candidates who lost their jobs. this koetter guy could probably have alot of success in the sbc. i'm personally pulling for dodge. i think we could find someone higher on the list than a position coach from a program other than a top tier bcs program. also, has anyone heard rumors from jimbo fisher since this wknd.

According to the LSU & SEC board Jimbo will be the next OC at Flordia St. You can take that for what its worth. But wouldn't be a bad move. If he has success , he could then take over for Bobby when he dies.. . I mean retires.

According to the LSU & SEC board Jimbo will be the next OC at Flordia St.  You can take that for what its worth. But wouldn't be a bad move. If he has success , he could then take over for Bobby when he dies.. . I mean retires.

I wasn't digging this post until the jab at the end.

Nonetheless, I think it's unlikely for a coordinator at a well regarded program to leave to be the coordinator at a struggling well regarded program.

They'd be more likely to have visions of head coaching jobs dancing in their heads.