When RV does pick a coach

El Paso Eagle

I didn't vote for myself, because I will support whoever is chosen...but I voted that whoever is selected will get criticized, because that is how many on this board will be...it will be hard to please the masses on this board.

I have noticed that some of the same people who said "anyone but Dickey" have now put a lot of conditions on "anyone".

So let me see if I hear this correctly. If RV hires Butler or Kenny Evans as the head guy, you will buy season tickets and support the Mean Green club?

SIMPLE ANSWER: YES

RV knows that his reputation and legacy will be made or destroyed on this hire...no way he screws it up.

Whoever he hires he thinks it is the right guy, so I WILL SUPPORT WHOEVER THE NEXT COACH IS!

So let me see if I hear this correctly.  If RV hires Butler or Kenny Evans as the head guy, you will buy season tickets and support the Mean Green club?

So, if he hires one of them you will not support the program anymore? I think we all want to see UNT succeed. Why would RV make a call and President B back him up for someone they did not think would do a good job? This hire will be the standard that RV will be held accountable to, as well as a move that Bataille will also be judged on.

So let me see if I hear this correctly.  If RV hires Butler or Kenny Evans as the head guy, you will buy season tickets and support the Mean Green club?

Yes. I will renew my season tickets and Mean Green club membership next year, no matter who is hired. I give RV credit for being able to hire the best coach he can get and to hire someone he believes can succeed.

That doesn't mean I can't constructively criticize when I feel a coach or AD is underachieving. But I'm not going to criticize a coach before he's even run his first practice. I do believe that our support will help the new coach succeed, and I will give that support from the beginning.

I intend to join the MGC at the $250 for the remainder of this year and when I renew my season tickets over the summer, could raise to the $500 level. (dependent on my financial situation between now and then)

Another interesting thing is it looks like fund raising for the new stadium is about to begin. Donating to that will be just as important as the MGC, so try to keep that in mind as well.

So, if he hires one of them you will not support the program anymore? I think we all want to see UNT succeed. Why would RV make a call and President B back him up for someone they did not think would do a good job? This hire will be the standard that RV will be held accountable to, as well as a move that Bataille will also be judged on.

If RV wants to hire Butlter, being as good as he is at selling something, trust me, he can get the backing of Pres. B for Butler if that is who he wants....just look at who he was able to convince JJ was good. I will support the program as a whole because I am an alum and fan. However, if you are one that says "no matter what, I will give unconditional support", then I assume you won't be giving any less than what you gave while DD was here.

Edited by GoMeanGreen1999

If RV wants to hire Butlter, being as good as he is at selling something, trust me, he can get the backing of Pres. B for Butler if that is who he wants....just look at who he was able to convince JJ was good.

From reading You posts, seems you have RV on you $%#@ list. Did he kick your dog or somethin' ? ph34r.gif

If RV wants to hire Butlter, being as good as he is at selling something, trust me, he can get the backing of Pres. B for Butler if that is who he wants....just look at who he was able to convince JJ was good.  I will support the program as a whole because I am an alum and fan.  However, if you are one that says "no matter what, I will give unconditional support", then I assume you won't be giving any less than what you gave while DD was here.

Maybe I'm missing your point, but I think most here at GMG.com gave DD more than their share of support, especially those who did their best to help with the scholarships fundraisings, telethon drive, cooking for the team after practices, cooking for free to draw more students and fans on game days, traveling across the country to show support for the team, and lastly donating all they can. So I expect those same people, many if not most who I know and recognize here, will give the same support to the new regime. It's when that "New Regime" starts to publicly criticise our university, using the players on the team as a wedge for personal vendetta's and outright calling us "Mother F^(Kers" in public, that's when I suspect they will again demand for a change.

Rick

Nope not at all....I just want the same standards held for all.  If you are going to hold DD to a standard, then hold everyone to the same one, RV included.

This year, I attended all home games, including the black-jersey finale. Not for DD or RV, but for the kids, the program, the school, and the enjoyment of the game (okay, not a whole lot of that last one this year, but one hopes).

Next year, I will be at every home game and the SMU road game. For the kids, the program, the school, and the enjoyment of the game.

For crying out loud, people around here support the Texas freakin' Rangers baseball team more unconditionally than UNT! ("Oh, please, keep him, 'cause he's a good guy. He's a stiff who hits .230 and hasn't had a meaningful RBI since 1997, but he's a good guy.") And the hot dogs at UNT games are better than the dogs at the Rangers games!!

Guest Aquila_Viridis

Well I refuse to be boxed in by survey choices, and I felt the same way about the stadium survey but I did complete it, albeit with a lengthy comment. So in this case here's what I'll say about support: if they go the small-time route in this coach choice, then I'll continue my current funding level for 4 more years anyway, but as far as being there and spending time on it and increasing support, no.

If they 'go big' then I will double my current support (for both athletics and general), as I would have done if they had satisfied my 3 expectations for this season, only one of which was actually achieved.

He's certainly not perfect, but you seem to dig your spurs in at every possible opportunity. Has he done anything right is your opinion ?  ph34r.gif

He has done some great things when it comes to getting donations and getting the Mean Green Village built. He tries to keep up with the fans and what they want and desire for the program. I think he has done a good job in that area.

It's when that "New Regime" starts to publicly criticise our university, using the players on the team as a wedge for personal vendetta's and outright calling us "Mother F^(Kers" in public, that's when I suspect they will again demand for a change. 

Rick

When people ask why give RV more lead way or benefit of the doubt than DD – I think FFR post covers the answer for many people. Look everyone make mistakes and no one is saying RV is perfect, but his style is much different than DD’s.

I am afraid that this years recruiting class will suffer given where we are timing wise. Unless of course a "name" coach comes in and kids come to us. In all likelyhood, it will take a couple of years for a new coach to begin showing his value. Maybe even longer. Hope not. Would like to see us get to .500 winning % next year and build from there. With the number of underclassmen starters coming back, I think this possible. Guess I contradicted myself there. Coffee just kicked in!!

I am afraid that this years recruiting class will suffer given where we are timing wise.  Unless of course a "name" coach comes in and kids come to us.  In all likelyhood, it will take a couple of years for a new coach to begin showing his value.  Maybe even longer.  Hope not.  Would like to see us get to .500 winning % next year and build from there.  With the number of underclassmen starters coming back, I think this possible.  Guess I contradicted myself there.  Coffee just kicked in!!

Imo it would be very difficult not to get a better recruiting class than DD did the last two years. There are some good players in the group and I hope they all develop and contribute, but very few would not have been available very late in the recruiting process.

However, there should be a good base for a new coach with approximately 50 lettermen and 18 starters returning. The new coach will have quantity and hopefully enough quality to be competitive from the start at least in the Belt.

Some of you people sound like Jesus freaks forgodssake.

I bought season tickets and joined the Mean Green club during DD's tenure....as well as after being confronted in the stands by a less-than-professional coach.

Unless we have another AD like Helwig (the closest I've ever come to divorcing North Texas) I will always buy season tickets and (in spite of the person that RV put in charge of it) be a member of the Mean Green Club.

THAT is how I show support for my Alma Mater.

RV is NOT my Alma Mater, so he doesn't get the same unconditional support from me that my Alma Mater gets. As an empolyee of this University, his decisions are subject to "review" just like any employees are. The more he makes good decisions for my Alma Mater, the more I will trust and support him.

That's how REAL AND LASTING relationships are made.

Are some of you people shallow enough to declare someone your friend because they come up and buy you a beer? God, I hope not.

Emmitt, are you implying that because you swore an oath to uphold the Constitution, as well as the laws of Texas, and you wear the uniform of the Dallas Police Dept. that your decisions are not subject to review by the general public?