UNT contacts USM asst. coach...

SouthernMissFan

I pray to the Mean Green gods that RV is just doing his boy a favor by putting Butler's name in the mix, but hopefully isn't seriously considering him.

You know, just get his friend's name out there. Maybe give him some leverage when it's time to renegotiate that contract with USM. Make his buddy seem in demand or a hot item. Make the USM fans take a little more notice of what Butler does. This coaching hire would suck.

“I don’t know when that call will be, if there’s a call at all, and I’m not concerned about it,” Butler said. “I don’t want this to be a distraction to me or the players or anybody.

“It’s a good opportunity, but I’m just trying to focus on UAB. If it happens later on, that’d be great.”

No offense....but it doesn't even sound like Mr. Butler is that interested in the job. And it also sounds like he didn't contact us, we contacted him. He's been there for 16 years.

Hire this guy, if you want alums like me to not come to games for the next 3-4 years, just like many of us didn't come to games this year.

“I don’t know when that call will be, if there’s a call at all, and I’m not concerned about it,” Butler said. “I don’t want this to be a distraction to me or the players or anybody.

“It’s a good opportunity, but I’m just trying to focus on UAB. If it happens later on, that’d be great.”

No offense....but it doesn't even sound like Mr. Butler is that interested in the job. And it also sounds like he didn't contact us, we contacted him. He's been there for 16 years.

Hire this guy, if you want alums like me to not come to games for the next 3-4 years, just like many of us didn't come to games this year.

Sounds like to me someone that wants people to think that nothing is there.....when there is. The typical answer of "I know nothing", or "I have not interviewed", then gets hired a week or two later. People do this all the time.

If we hire this guy, I still get to cancel my season tickets and spend the money on something else. It's funny a couple of weeks ago my wife was thinking about what I could spend that money on because we didn't think Dickey would be removed. Then he gets fired and we were like, oh well I guess we do have to keep the tickets, well now I'm thinking we might be canceling them after all. What a roller coaster for my wallet.

I don't want this to be a "who I know" search. Hopefully (and probably) he's just one of many in the mix. With that being said, So Miss is not known for their potent offenses. They have been a defensive team that likes to run the ball. This just isn't going to fly here considering what we've watched the past few years. So Miss is currently ranked 70th in total offense. They're 33 rushing and 96th passing - excited? BTW, SoMiss is 44th total defense.

It amazing the momentum this kind of thing builds up. Already we have a movement against this guy and he hasn't even interviewed. I don't know anything about him other than a few paragraphs written on message boards, Certainly don't have enough information to form an opinion one way or another. Which I think is probably the case for most everyone on this board. But for some reason that nobody articulates, they are totaly against this guy? Why? Some saying that would still cancel season tickets and stay away from games....again Why?

What do you have against this guy? Im not exactly for him, but I don't have enough info to form an opinion at this point. I don't know his reputation. I've never heard him speak, don't know his coaching philosophy, or what his former players say about him. What do you all know that makes this candidate SO objectionable?

It amazing the momentum this kind of thing builds up.  Already we have a movement against this guy and he hasn't even interviewed.  I don't know anything about him other than a few paragraphs written on message boards,  Certainly don't have enough information to form an opinion one way or another.  Which I think is probably the case for most everyone on this board.  But for some reason that nobody articulates,  they are totaly against this guy?  Why?    Some saying that would still cancel season tickets and stay away from games....again Why?   

What do you have against this guy?  Im not exactly for him, but I don't have enough info to form an opinion at this point.  I don't know his reputation.    I've never heard him speak,  don't know his coaching philosophy,  or what his former players say about him.  What do you all know that makes this candidate SO objectionable?

I think the USM connection says it all. RV has been gone from there 5 years and this is the first confirmed candidate, that is what caused the ruckus. I hope it plays out better but this stinks of cronyism

I don't want this to be a "who I know" search.  Hopefully (and probably) he's just one of many in the mix.  With that being said, So Miss is not known for their potent offenses.  They have been a defensive team that likes to run the ball.  This just isn't going to fly here considering what we've watched the past few years.  So Miss is currently ranked 70th in total offense.  They're 33 rushing and 96th passing - excited?  BTW, SoMiss is 44th total defense.

As a Southern Miss fan I'll say this about Randy Butler he's a good football coach, with alot of knowledge of the game. He's one of our better recruiters. He coached our defensive line for awhile coaching the likes of Adulias Thomas currently pro bowl outside linebacker for the Ravens, and he coached atleast 5 others who've went on to play football on Sundays. And then moved over to the offensive side of the ball to coach our tight ends. Since he's been our Tight Ends coach we've had the most productive years outta of our tight ends for as long as I remember. Here's a little more about Randy Butler for those of you who care..

http://southernmiss.cstv.com/sports/m-foot...er_randy00.html

As a Southern Miss fan I'll say this about Randy Butler he's a good football coach, with alot of knowledge of the game.  He's one of our better recruiters.  He coached our defensive line for awhile coaching the likes of Adulias Thomas currently pro bowl outside linebacker for the Ravens, and he coached atleast 5 others who've went on to play football on Sundays.  And then moved over to the offensive side of the ball to coach our tight ends.  Since he's been our Tight Ends coach we've had the most productive years outta of our tight ends for as long as I remember.  Here's a little more about Randy Butler for those of you who care..

http://southernmiss.cstv.com/sports/m-foot...er_randy00.html

How good does he recruit in TEXAS?

UNT guys, Randy Butler is a great guy and a solid coach. That being said, he is not going to be your next coach. All you need to know is that he has never been a coordinator and if Bower retired at USM, Butler would get a courtesy interview, but would not have a snow ball's chance in hell of getting the USM job.

I have a feeling that this is Ricky doing an old friend a favor, nothing more.

I would almost rather have Nix from South Carolina.

Nix would never leave the job he has at South Carolina for the UNT job. He has a much bigger future awaiting him. He is learning from the Ol' Ball Coach right now and when he makes his move, it will be a big one.

Edited by SouthernMissFan

UNT guys, Randy Butler is a great guy and a solid coach. That being said, he is not going to be your next coach. All you need to know is that he has never been a coordinator and if Bower retired at USM, Butler would get a courtesy interview, but would not have a snow ball's chance in hell of getting the USM job.

I have a feeling that this is Ricky doing an old friend a favor, nothing more.

My concern is that RV is going to do yet another friend a bigger favor.

NO CRONY HIRES RV! There isn't anyone at S. Miss that excites us!

My concern is that RV is going to do yet another friend a bigger favor.

NO CRONY HIRES RV! There isn't anyone at S. Miss that excites us!

YEAH! If they've worked at S. Miss they should automatically be discounted. Afterall we don't want RV to hire anyone that he may have a familiarity with. It would look like cronyism! Cronyism never works! When Jerry Jones bought the Dallas Cowboys in 1989 he hired his old college roomate Jimmy Johnson to be the head coach. At the time everyone said college coaches never make it big in the NFL... It was a total crony hire. That crony hire led them to a 1-15 record the next season. Crony Hires Never Work!