Fire Dunham as well!

Eagle Man

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A long time ago, I heard that George Dunham was responsible and/or involved in Bill Mercer being fired as play by play man for North Texas.

If there is any part of that rumor that is true (and I don't mean being a better broadcaster either....because George isn't/wasn't), then I agree that George can get fired as well. dry.gif

Any possibilites for Hank to ever be the Athletic Director here.....he is ALWAYS at the community events and out in the public, not to mention a great guy.

He is a really nice guy. But how does he have time to always be out in the community if he is raising funds for a new stadium (isn't that what a Sr Athletic Director should be doing?) During the course of a game, shouldn't he be schmoozing prospective donors, instead of color commentary?

He is a really nice guy.  But how does he have time to always be out in the community if he is raising funds for a new stadium (isn't that what a Sr Athletic Director should be doing?)  During the course of a game, shouldn't he be schmoozing prospective donors, instead of color commentary?

Of course, prospective donors will know who he is and be more likely to talk to him if they know him from the broadcasts.

I wouldn't directly compare Dunham and Mercer - two different styles during two different times in UNT Athletics.

I do hope that George stays on for play-by-play. My feeling is that his involvement with UNT has been an overall positive and would continue to be so.

George Dunham's one of the best things to happen to UNT football. He's been a proud UNT backer for years on The Ticket, even back in some of the lowest days for the program, and is a terrific play-by-play announcer.

I don't know anything about his finances, but since he's a Ticket morning drive host and the Cowboys stadium announcer, the UNT gig is probably the one he could most afford to drop.

I hope he doesn't. Dunham's the voice of UNT football and I hope he continues in the job as long as he wants it.

Why would you want to fire Georg Dunham? He's the kind of successful alum that we need in the public eye. If it weren't for him you wouldn't hear a peep about NT and since thats one of the most popular sports shows in the nation, his word reaches far beyond the Metroplex and the state of Texas. He gives nothing but good publicity to the school and is a proud graduate, not like his partner. Should we fire everyone who thinks the way they fired DD is wrong?

Furthermore, Dunham lacks the class and dignity exibited by Bill Mercer and quite frankly is a bad choice for the voice of our Mean Green.

Lacks class and dignity? What would make you have that sort of opinion about one of our most vocal alumni, one of the best play-by-play men in the game and a great voice in the media for our university?

Lacks class and dignity?  What would make you have that sort of opinion about one of our most vocal alumni, one of the best play-by-play men in the game and a great voice in the media for our university?

I would suggest that our new president might want to listen in to Dunham's radio show from time to time.

No one can convince me that our Department of Radio, TV and Film hasn't produced some quality men and women who could do just as well as Dunham, maybe even better and also be a good role model as well.

You people know this is only an opinion.

It's just food for thought. I really have no problem with Dunham's broadcasting abilities when doing Mean Green Sports. Yes, he is very good.

I was worried to begin with at the start of this thread, but as much as I disagreed with GD's stance this AM about the DD situation, I still enjoy hearing him on the broadcast as an alum of our university. Let's not have too much "good ol' days syndrom" with Mercer. Yes, he was great, but let's not take for granted the job GD is doing these days.

When I met Mr Dunham at the Media Day before the season, he agreed to come on with Harry and myself and answer some questions at some point. He was very generous and gave me his contact information despite the general feeling I got from him that he wasn't quite sure about us.

The only thing I've ever wondered about him is probably what a lot of people have wondered about me, and that is to what extent is he giving the company line when it comes to NT athletics? I don't know if it is written into his contract or his personality to be positive about North Texas, but he seems to have that pretty big homer streak about the program that all of us have (even if some of us are quieter about it or voice displeasures loudly, as well).

To suggest he needs to go is ridiculous. He's a great ambassador for the program, a terrific radio broadcaster, and one hell of an alumnus to claim for North Texas.

In my opinion, NT has benefited greatly by having two great long term announcers in Dunham and Mercer. Both are not only first-rate announcers but

are overall great supporters of the Mean Green. Dunham was not involved with making the decision to replace Mercer, he was only the replacement. The way Mercer was dismissed was shameful, but it was time to make a change.

When I met Mr Dunham at the Media Day before the season, he agreed to come on with Harry and myself and answer some questions at some point.  He was very generous and gave me his contact information despite the general feeling I got from him that he wasn't quite sure about us.

The only thing I've ever wondered about him is probably what a lot of people have wondered about me, and that is to what extent is he giving the company line when it comes to NT athletics?  I don't know if it is written into his contract or his personality to be positive about North Texas, but he seems to have that pretty big homer streak about the program that all of us have (even if some of us are quieter about it or voice displeasures loudly, as well).

To suggest he needs to go is ridiculous.  He's a great ambassador for the program, a terrific radio broadcaster, and one hell of an alumnus to claim for North Texas.

A couple of questions: Is Dunham and Miller's radio program R-rated or family rated?

Is Mean Green Athletics R-rated or family rated?

This is only a friendly debate designed to provoke thought. OK?

Edited by Eagle Man

I love having both George and Hank together doing the radio broadcast. Listen to that SMU broadcast on The Ticket and then you will realize how lucky we are to have George Dunham. I think he is qualified enough to do games for any big time college team in the country.

We are lucky to have him. If we didn't have him in our corner, you would never hear UNT anywhere in this market.

A couple of questions: Is Dunham and Miller's radio program R-rated or family rated?

Is Mean Green Athletics R-rated or family rated?

This is only a friendly debate designed to provoke thought. OK?

I haven't listened in a couple years. When I did, The Ticket had some edgy humor, but George Dunham was always the straight man to Gordon Keith's insanity. Dunham's so mild-mannered that the only way to tell he was angry was when he called somebody "chief."

Calling the Musers "R-rated," as if they were the Howard Stern show, is a big stretch. It may not be to your liking, but to suggest that Dunham brings disrepute to UNT by virtue of doing that show is ridiculous.

George didn't have anything to do with the letting go of Bill Mercer. It was bad timing. I know for a fact that Geroge has the utmost respect for Bill and was one of his students. The athletic department was looking to make a move and get a voice that would be there for many more years. The Ticket was new in town and they even carried our games their first year around (1994). IT WAS A CRITICAL TIME IN OUR MOVE TO DIVISION 1A FOOTBALL. George was offered the job before Helwig let Mercer go. Mercer is a lot like Tom Landry in that no one likes the way it happened, but in the long run it proved to be the right move.

George Dunham is a great advocate for our school. He certainly doesnt deserve to have folks demand that he be fired.

He is personal friends with DD and his family. Obviously, he is upset that DD will be gone. He will be over it as soon as we put together our next winning season.

I did not hear Dunham's comments, as I do not listen to sophomoric radio, but I will tell you that Dunham is a university employee and needs to tow the company line if he wants to hang around. No doubt he has done a lot for the university through his broadcasts, but publicly bucking the university on the air is not a good move ( assuming that he did ) as some of you have mentioned. The Mercer situation is forgiveable, as the corrosive hand of Craig Helwig was in the middle of the firing of Mercer. Dunham was a casual participant but not the instigator.