Will we ever get any answers to these questions?

whatistheplan

We ask this and many more questions such as:

What is our football recruiting budget

Where is our roadmap or Strategy?

If we have one has it been shared with anyone? Where?

What kind of revenue plan or revenue has RV brought to the program?

Do we do the right thing to keep our “80 percent of a college's fundraising comes from 20 percent of the donors” people engaged and feeling like part of the program?

If so How?

If you have any thought on these questions let us know!

I will be surprised if we see any answers just Villareal answers as he controls this board ph34r.gif

We ask this and many more questions such as:

What is our football recruiting budget

Do we do the right thing to keep our “80 percent of a college's fundraising comes from 20 percent of the donors” people engaged and feeling like part of the program?

If so How?

If you have any thought on these questions let us know!

I will be surprised if we see any answers just Villareal answers as he controls this board  ph34r.gif

What is your deal? Why in the world would you think RV conrtols this board? It's really quite amusing.

While RV doesn't control this board. All of these are valid questions.

What is our football recruiting budget?

Good Question

Another Good Question

One of the best questions

The BIGGEST question of them all. The Mattress Mac money was because of DD. Not sure about the tennis center, but come on its tennis.

Where is the money he promised when he took over? He has generated NO revenue stream or generated a single big donation.

I don't want the standard, tired response about tailgating. I want $$$$$ figures and wins. Tailgating is 6 weeks a year. Where is the MONEY? Where are the WINS?

Correct me if I'm wrong, and I know you will. The only programs with a winning record in RV's tenure are Women's basketball and women's soccer. Two non-revenue sports.

Track and cross country have had marginal success, but nothing that would bring in donors.

How is RV a passable, not even good let alone great, athletic director that many on this board profess him to be?

I'm waiting on answers.

And so know one accuses me of hiding behind an internet screen name,

Brett Tulloss

Good Question

Another Good Question

The BIGGEST question of them all. The Mattress Mac money was because of DD. Not sure about the tennis center, but come on its tennis.

Where is the money he promised when he took over? He has generated NO revenue stream or generated a single big donation.

I don't want the standard, tired response about tailgating. I want $$$$$ figures and wins. Tailgating is 6 weeks a year. Where is the MONEY? Where are the WINS?

Correct me if I'm wrong, and I know you will. The only programs with a winning record in RV's tenure are Women's basketball and women's soccer. Two non-revenue sports.

Track and cross country have had marginal success, but nothing that would bring in donors.

How is RV a passable, not even good let alone great, athletic director that many on this board profess him to be?

I'm waiting on answers.

Brett Tulloss

Were you on campus during the Helwig days?

The tennis money was donated by by Mr. Waranch. Real estate developer in California and NT grad many moons ago. RV also you could say - admittedly it is a bit of a stretch - that he brought in an extra 2-3 million in student athletic fees by getting the fees paid by students raised.

RV also likes to claim that he saved "millions" by purchasing the liberty christian school site and renovating the shacks and calling them "world class facilities" instead of building new buildings from scratch. If you attended his informational session, he is right up there with enron accountants in taking the LCS deal and making it out to be the deal of the century.

Now with that being said - I do think he's done a lot for the university in the form of fund raising. Past ADs either didn't care or wouldn't put in the time to do things like finding donors to build facilities. It is a question of relative success to the past. Could RV do more - of course. But for what he has done here in his relatively short stay has been quite good. Just my opinion.

Since this thread seems to be focused on grading RV - here is my report card.

Fund Raising: A-

(Only AD to make facility improvements - EVER?? )

Coaching Hires: Incomplete

(incomplete - waiting the end of this season for a grade)

Promotions: A

(tailgating, family pack, all excellent ideas)

Keeping fans in the loop on goals: C+

(Started strong - but has fallen off the face of the earth as of late)

Marketing the brand: B

(good use of the website - updates could be better - otherwise A+)

Overall grade since hire at NT - B-

I take it back, this is dumbest post ever

I've seen dumber.

Way dumber.

Short bus dumber.

This guy may be nuts, but I hope RV will swoop down upon our board soon to tell us something shortly. He loves it on here. I mean, hey, we deserve it!

i wish that DD's cousin would stop posting on here. yeah i wish that RV would really step up to the plate. i mean facilities wise, marketing, winning, fund raising, attendance....... yeah we have taken a real big step back in the last 5 years. IF our football coach was half as good at coaching as our AD is at his job , we would be in the top 25

Good Question

Another Good Question

I'm waiting on answers.

Brett Tulloss

Some good points

I will be surprised if we see any answers just Villareal answers as he controls this board  ph34r.gif

Wow I think you are right, as I understand it RV writes over 80% of the posts on this board.

In fact I believe he is writing this one for me.

Have to agree, RV has done some good things, not near as many as he proclaims and honestly some of what has been accomplished he lucked into, he tends to talk a good game all in generalities nothing specific. I'm begining to believe what the TCU folks said when we hired him and that was in their opinion RV was nothing more than a used car salesman.

I have little faith in his hiring abilities and fully believe that if allowed to make a change he'll bring in not the best person for the job, but someone that will tout him as a great AD and someone that he will be able to get along with. Sorry folks but all that will get us is more mediocrity and it allows RV to save his own ass, buy a little more time, so he can continue to look for another job and when he's gone we can all say "at least we get to tailgate".

Edited by Green Tortilla

I'm begining to believe what the TCU folks said when we hired him and that was in their opinion RV was nothing more than a used car salesman. 

I, too, remember the folks at "Killer Frogs" making that statement. How about their other description of RV, "nothing more than a snake oil salesman".

I, too, remember the folks at "Killer Frogs" making that statement.  How about their other description of RV, "nothing more than a snake oil salesman".

Wow, has it gotten so bad that we have turned on the first good AD this school has seen in nearly 30 years? I agree that he should make some coaching reassignments, but the 2 coaches people have the most problems with he inherited. Now I won't say they shouldn't both be on the line, but Dickey just 2 years ago was one of the hottest mid-major coaches in college football and JJ comes in with an impressive pedigree trying to rebuild a program that Vic Trilli demolished. If you look at the coaching hires RV has made they have done well since coming in (look at this years tennis turn around).

Granted information has been slow in coming at times RV has always periodically taken the time to come on the board and communicate with the fans and alumni. Would I like to have constant updates on everything thats going on with every program and donation and fundraiser and everything else thats going on with the athletic department and in RVs head every moment. Yes, but until they can stream RVs brain waves like the stream sports scores its just not possible. RV has and will continue to do a great job here at UNT. If there is one man on this campus I have faith in to guide this school in the right direction its RV (lord knows we can't trust LJ).

Wow, has it gotten so bad that we have turned on the first good AD this school has seen in nearly 30 years?  I agree that he should make some coaching reassignments, but the 2 coaches people have the most problems with he inherited.  Now I won't say they shouldn't both be on the line, but Dickey just 2 years ago was one of the hottest mid-major coaches in college football and JJ comes in with an impressive pedigree trying to rebuild a program that Vic Trilli demolished.  If you look at the coaching hires RV has made they have done well since coming in (look at this years tennis turn around).

Granted information has been slow in coming at times RV has always periodically taken the time to come on the board and communicate with the fans and alumni.  Would I like to have constant updates on everything thats going on with every program and donation and fundraiser and everything else thats going on with the athletic department and in RVs head every moment. Yes, but until they can stream RVs brain waves like the stream sports scores its just not possible.  RV has and will continue to do a great job here at UNT.  If there is one man on this campus I have faith in to guide this school in the right direction its RV (lord knows we can't trust LJ).

I still support RV. I remember the Helwig years and they would make anyone appreciate what we have now in terms of gameday experience and overall facilities.

But, we do have issues RV needs to work on. I believe all current head coaches except for soccer have overall losing records. This needs addressed, especially in the major sports (BB, FB). We have fallen behind many mid-majors. Also, I would like to see better and more frequent communication with the fans.

Build a new football stadium, get us into CUSA, start baseball, and have Top 25 programs in football and basketball and I'll be happy. That's all it takes. smile.gif

Edited by NT80

http://web2.unt.edu/ira/sacsr/static/docs/...rvillarreal.pdf

Richard A. Villarreal

Duties: Under the direct supervision of the president of the University.....

...submit recomendations and supporting documentation to the President and Board of Regents as necessary......

....keeps the Athletics Council informed as to all significant current actions (both pending and accomplished), and as to long-range planning for athletics program....

Any one here go by the name of Dr. Gretchen Bataille?

Anyone here go by the names of C. Dan Smith, Gayle Strange, Bobby Ray or any other Board of Regent member...etc?

Anyone here on the Athletics Council?

No one?

That's what I thought.

It's not RV's job to report to the fan message board about recruiting budgets, revenue plans or strategies. In fact it's not even his job to make any of us happy about anything, but he's done a hell of a good job doing just that by staying the course that was lined out for him by his superiors, while at the same time trying to balance the wants and needs of this fanbase to bring us a winner against, at times, un-freaking-believable odds.

Shaking head!

Rick

Guest GrayEagleOne

Good grief, people, stop and think where we were before RV was hired and where we are now. There have been more improvements than I really care to count that has happened on his watch. I don't know how deeply he was involved, and I doubt that anyone else does either but face it, they happened during RV's time as athletic director.

Facilities - New diamond vision scoreboard and artificial turf at Fouts. No more peeing on the walls; at least we have raised troughs. New scoreboards at the Pit. New women's soccer field, volleyball arena, softball field, tennis center, basketball practice facility, athletic center, and football practice fields. Had a deal for a new baseball stadium but the Denton Outlaws owner couldn't fulfill his end of the deal.

Has completed plans for new football stadium and has quietly began soliciting funds.

Fund Raising/Revenue - From reports has increased Mean Green Club membership more than 400% and total amount given much more than that. Hired two full-time fund raisers. Has raised over $500,000 toward a new baseball stadium. Athletic budget has increased from $8 million to $14 million with no deficit, per report to USDOE.

School Spirit/Game Day - Established ver popular tailgating where none existed under predecessor. Campus program to swap shirts from other universities for a North Texas shirt was a success. Orientation programs speeches have resulted in increased student attendance.

Academics - Graduation rate has increased dramatically. More athletes on the Dean's List than ever before.

Marketing/Promotions - Advertising revenue has been steady to improved. Junior Mean Green for families has had decent success. I have been a little disappointed at the lack of gameday promotion, however, and believe that this is an area that can be improved further.

Communication - Started off great and yes, there was a plan. I still have a copy in my possession. RV made bullet-point presentation at quarterly meetings. The meetings and information did fall apart after a couple of sessions but RV has come on this baard at times to update us on various situations. At least, it's far better than Helwig did.

Coaching Hires/Contracts - This is my biggest gripe. It appears that he has made a great hire with the tennis coach. The softball coach, while well qualified, had or developed mental problems and had to be replaced. Her replacement has fielded a reasonably competitive team for a third year program. Basketball has improved to near the .500 level but this year should be a make-or-break season regarding winning a division or conference championship and going to the Tournament. JJ has won more home games in the last five years than any coach since Bill Blakely, albeit with a relatively easy schedule. It the extensions granted to success at the conference level but, except for two years, disappointment at the national level. I could be wrong, but I believe that RV will correct what needs to be corrected at season's end.

Scheduling - RV has weaned us away from the money games to one money game, with several regional games now on the schedule. This should result in better home attendance. .

While there has been an occasional wart, the good has far outweighed the bad IMO.

Perhaps things have been mismanaged for so many years that an AD doing the basics of his job description makes him look like the greatest ever to grace our school. YAY!

RV came in with a bar set around his ankles and lept over it. He lept far over it, but there is a reason he is still here too....despite chasing quite a few jobs in the meantime.

Not here to bash him, but I don't see why he is untouchable. I'm starting to think if Dickey posted here on occasion he might be held in higher regard too. More likely, someone would ask how he would have time to post here rather than gameplan for his next game.

Perhaps I got drunk at the Stars game. A lot of uncertainties are all over this post....but why not ponder all this? It can't hurt no matter what side you are on...

Yet another ridiculous post.

WhatIsThePlan......This terribly negative post, won't tear down the remarkable last five years of growth in the facilities of UNT Athletics.

Please provide us with the financial dollars that you have contributed to UNT over the last five years to help improve our Athletic situation.

WhatIsThePlan....or I'm sorry, I mean't WhatIsThePoint. I forgot...it has to do with Clueless!