Dickey will stay another year

UNT_playmaker

RV and BOR will not cut Dickey out of the head coaching position, some other members might go away but not the head football coach. As far as his health probelms, Dickey will recover enough to take over the team....He will not resign because of health issues, because at 44 years old he believes he is too young to bow out. Also Dickey has no options at being a head coach at any other college.

If Dickey has another disappointing season next year, then yes RV will pull the carpet from underneath him, but until then.... I havent seen anything that makes me believe they will be better next year.

Dickey will have at least one more year....

Also quick question, when Dickey got the Idaho coaching offer, did Dickey refuse or did Idaho back out of its offer...I forgot....Either way Idaho is much better off with Erickson then we are right now....

RV and BOR will not cut Dickey out of the head coaching position, some other members might go away but not the head football coach. As far as his health probelms, Dickey will recover enough to take over the team....He will not resign because of health issues, because at 44 years old he believes he is too young to bow out. Also Dickey has no options at being a head coach at any other college.

If Dickey has another disappointing season next year, then yes RV will pull the carpet from underneath him, but until then.... I havent seen anything that makes me believe they will be better next year.

Also quick question, when Dickey got the Idaho coaching offer, did Dickey refuse or did Idaho back out of its offer...I forgot....Either way Idaho is much better off with Erickson then we are right now....

There is not a chance in hell DD is back next year.

Did Shaft find out UNTplaymaker's log in info?

I will say this, if DD is still here next year the University should make NO attempt at asking people to step up and support UNT athletics since they will be sending the clearest message ever that when it comes to being a serious 1-A program they (administration) could care less.

Most all of you on this board are strong supporters of North Texas and, like me, feel bad about abandoning our alma mater's athletic program. So, here is my answer to getting rid of Dickey. Contact the athletic department that you will no longer buy season tickets if Dickey is still coach and you will not give to the athletic department. To satisfy your sense of loyalty to UNT, just take next year's games game by game as far as buying tickets and instead of giving to an athletic department that has chosen to keep Dickey, give what you did this year to the general scholarship fund of the university. That is what I plan to do if Dickey stays for next year.

This is what I started doing two years ago. I miss the football and everything that goes with it but after 6 years of DD and 5 years before that football was just not worth the money.

When I notified the athletic department their comment was that they did not care --- they had enough sales that mine would not make that much difference. mad.gif

Bill Ison, PhD

drison@sbcglobal.net

This is no shot at DD, but there cant be any way he is back next year. His health problems have taken too much out of him, and I seriously doubt his heart is in it as much as it used to be. I really think DD needs a year off with his family, and after his health recovers, I am sure he can find another head coaching gig.

As for the waiting to replace him, they could already be looking, and the decisions may have already been made, we just dont know it yet.

This is what I started doing two years ago.  I miss the football and everything that goes with it but after 6 years of DD and 5 years before that football was just not worth the money.

When I notified the athletic department their comment was that they did not care --- they had enough sales that mine would not make that much difference.  mad.gif

Bill Ison, PhD

drison@sbcglobal.net

My dad and I decided to do the same thing this year. We didn't renew our season tickets.....just couldn't take it anymore. Called the Athletic department and was basically told the same thing.

Terrific. When you cancel your GMC memberships, you're abandoning our other sports like soccer, track, basketball, etc. Go ahead and don't buy FB season tickets. If anything, lets say there are around 800 GMC members give or take. If they all reneew their memberships but 600 refuse to buy season tickets for football that would send just as clear a message than quitting altogether. And you'll still be helping out....

Please don't do that to the other sports.

Terrific.  When you cancel your GMC memberships, you're abandoning our other sports like soccer, track, basketball, etc.  Go ahead and don't buy FB season tickets.  If anything, lets say there are around 800 GMC members give or take.  If they all reneew their memberships but 600 refuse to buy season tickets for football that would send just as clear a message than quitting altogether.  And you'll still be helping out....

Please don't do that to the other sports.

I understand what you are saying, but I can guarantee you that if enough people did the same thing, they would make a change. As of right now, all we can do is cross our fingers. Every person has to make a decision as to what they are going to do, whether or not it is to buy tickets or buy tickets and stay home. I just decided to spend my hard earned money in a different way. Don't worry, the other sports will be fine.

That is completely bass-ackwards.  The loyal fans will be back (look up 'loyalty').  The front-runners will pack up and leave until things get better.  See you loyal fans next Saturday.

Completely disagree. There are many, many loyal fans that have been around for 20+ seasons that will be back once they make a change.

Guest GrayEagleOne

This season is my 59th following North Texas football and I've attended around 300 games but this year is my last unless there is a coaching change. I'm serious as a heart attack about this.

Call me disloyal if you like but I just can't stand to see the alma mater that I love sink to laughing-stock status among my friends and fellow alumni. It is not a second-rate university and I won't tolerate second-rate football teams anymore.

This season is my 59th following North Texas football and I've attended around 300 games but this year is my last unless there is a coaching change.  I'm serious as a heart attack about this. 

Call me disloyal if you like but I just can't stand to see the alma mater that I love sink to laughing-stock status among my friends and fellow alumni.  It is not a second-rate university and I won't tolerate second-rate football teams anymore.

Totally agree. This is OUR program, not Dickey's. WE want it back!! mad.gif

This season is my 59th following North Texas football and I've attended around 300 games

This is off-topic but if you have followed them for this long, could you enlighten me as to whether Fouts Field was ever a comparatively nice stadium? Also, how packed were the stands during the Mean Joe NTSU days?

Most all of you on this board are strong supporters of North Texas and, like me, feel bad about abandoning our alma mater's athletic program.  So, here is my answer to getting rid of Dickey.  Contact the athletic department that you will no longer buy season tickets if Dickey is still coach and you will not give to the athletic department.  To satisfy your sense of loyalty to UNT, just take next year's games game by game as far as buying tickets and instead of giving to an athletic department that has chosen to keep Dickey, give what you did this year to the general scholarship fund of the university.  That is what I plan to do if Dickey stays for next year.

If I were any UNT upper echelon leader or a UNT Board of Regent, I think I'd pay close attention to a 59 year follower of Mean Green football who says if Darrell Dickey is back in 2007 then he (himself) won't be back to watch yet another way too predictable season of Dickey Ball. In fact, any smart UNT leader would be wise to focus on that kind of response from one of our best fans and then start trying to fix each and every problem that has created such a scenario that would cause GrayEagleOne to say after this football season, he's done with it all if UNT officials plan to give us one more year of DD Ball.

What is gaining even more momentum like that of a runaway freight train in Denton and Mean Green Country and what will be the results of this kind of momentum is "NOT" going to look good on the resume's of a few strategic UNT officials if they are naive' enough to think what they are doing will gain more football season ticket sales and MG Club (or significant private) donations in 2007. sad.gif

IF DD IS ALLOWED ONE MORE YEAR THEN....................I'd say the in-mates are truly running the asylum at UNT if such an absurdity as that is allowed to continue for yet another year in Denton. I'd also say I smell even more rat crap with SMU alum Lee Jackson as the UNT chancellor along with his hand-picked LYG,ie, Little Yankee Gal as his Denton campus president.

Sorry fellas' but many of us have been there, done that and heard all this before and our new Madam UNT President can say how great athletics is to some of you (who are most impressionable) till the cows come home but wouldn't we all rather see some dramatic and positive moves that will prove to all that she means business and will support with budgets and new hirings whatever takes for us to have an upwardly bound UNT football program.

HEARD IT ALL BEFORE.................I can close my eyes and still hear coming from Dr. Hurley's mouth with his saying what smart NT presidents have all learned to say upon their hiring and that is their using the "athletics is the picture window of our university" card at UNT. Folks, we've heard all this before from most other recent UNT presidents only to see budgets under their watch (save one Dr. Pohl) get mysteriously slashed and NT Athletics being put (basically on a life support type of athletic budget.

I've been saying this awhile now, but not only do I smell 1 or 2 skunks on our campus, but I think there is a whole pack of the little stinkers running loose in Denton and putting their mark on just about everything around Denton with their most special perfume that when they make yet another marking with what seems (of late) to be a very un-Midas type of marking. ph34r.gif

Only North Texas would buy a Jaguar (UNT-Dallas) it cannot possible afford with our probably having the smallest financial endowment of any school our size and years of existence not only in the Lone Star State, but probably the entire United States of America. The focus is on Dallas and Fort Worth in the UNT System, fellow alums, while Denton (and a new football stadium) comes in 3'rd place.

Fund Raising? Wasn't there one in the UNT Athletic Dept. charged with that major responsibility upon his hiring and all that has yet to materialize even to this day for a school of our scope and size? From what I've heard from a couple of you one such UNT athletic employee has been taking credit for what some who have been in the sales business any length of time would call a, uh..................house account? ? ? sad.gif For example, the Warranch gift materialized in the first place because it was he who made the initial call to UNT leaders as to take their suggestions as to what part of UNT needed his rather large gift of monies the most.

Yet (again) one source told me it was Mr. Warranch who made that first initial call to UNT with monies that one source said that once Dr. Pohl got the call from the NT Ex & California home building magnate that he actually forwarded it to UNT Athetics; so sorry folks, (again) in the sales business such a donation as that would be called a "house account" since no one on our campus made the initial contact with our fellow and very wealthy NT Ex from the great state of California.

SO @ UNT ISN'T IT STILL ALL ABOUT FUND-RAISING AND MARKETING? smile.gif

I suppose in Denton we are getting much in the area of well thought out and very profound theories on athletic fund-raising and marketing to the masses from UNT Athletic Department staffers , but (once again for those who seem a bit "cranium impaired" thinking we are setting the woods on fire because we now have successful tailgating........................YET.............. don't those 15K per home game averages spread out over the last 9 years still suggest that theories and hypotheses for fundraising but specifically athletic marketing are still all that we are getting in Denton, Texas, America? sad.gif

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

From everything that I've heard, DD was born on December 6, 1959 in Galveston. That makes him almost 47 years old according to my math. I don't know why they've been calling him 44 for the past 3 years or so. I guess somebody decided that it might make him a little more of a marketable commodity. cool.gif