New Coach Wish List

El Paso Eagle

Someone mentioned Nix at South Carolina -

His recruiting this year is fairly impressive -

http://www.rivals.com/viewcoach.asp?Coach=15

Here's his bio:

http://uscsports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/...x_tyrone00.html

He's young (33), looks like a good recruiter and defensive coach.

Downside - no apparent ties to Texas, not an offensive guy.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with Monkeypox - How about Bruce Chambers from UT?  Great recruiter, former UNT letterman and grad, outstanding DFW ties from his days coaching at Dallas Carter...

yep... i can't think of any better combination. he's a UNT alumnus, he's coordinated at practically every position, won championships at the High School and collegiate level, coached in the area, proven track-record recruiting...

now, he's probably in love with his job at UT, and he's likely to eventually get offers at a bigger conference school. but you just don't ever hear his name come up in these sorts of conversations, and it's a frickin' crime when you look at his resume.

I'm with Monkeypox - How about Bruce Chambers from UT?  Great recruiter, former UNT letterman and grad, outstanding DFW ties from his days coaching at Dallas Carter...

VERY intriguing. The recruiting ties could be crucial. Whichever direction UNT goes, they need to strengthen the relationships with the HS coaches Texas-wide. Chambers would definitely have a leg up here.

Chambers has the perfect resume. He is a dream hire. On top of his obvious qualifications he is an NT grad, and he happens to be an Afro-American which would insure a much-deserved increase in media coverage.

Does anyone have any idea how much money he makes at UT?

Can NT afford to pay him and DD too?

You all want a coach that is willing to rebuild your program and stay unless a big BCS school comes a long you need to look at some of the best IAA coaches in the nation. They know how to coach in big games and some know what it takes to beat the bigger schools.

Heres the list:

Deleware- Kurt Keller

Took jobin 2002- 33-16 IAA National Title

James Madison- Mickey Matthews

Took job in 1999- 47-37 IAA National Title

Montana- Bobby Hauck

Took job in 2003- 29-11, 3 Conf Chamionships

Former GA Southern Coach- Mike Sewak

Coach from 2002-2005 36-15

New Hampshire- Sean McDonnell

Took job in 1999- 44-38, #1 in IAA right now

You all want a coach that is willing to rebuild your program and stay unless a big BCS school comes a long you need to look at some of the best IAA coaches in the nation. They know how to coach in big games and some know what it takes to beat the bigger schools.

Heres the list:

They need to be able to coach and put together a recruiting staff that can recruit TEXAS effectively against the Tech/SMU/Tulsas/TCU's/SBC Conf. of the world.

If the next coach can do those things--consistently--the rest will take care of itself.

Effectively recruiting talent, and effectively coaching the talent.

Chambers has the perfect resume. He is a dream hire. On top of his obvious qualifications he is an NT grad, and he happens to be an Afro-American which would insure a much-deserved increase in media coverage.

Does anyone have any idea how much money he makes at UT?

Can NT afford to pay him and DD too?

Bruce Chambers. Good grief, I didn't know he's been out there coaching. He was one of Jordan Case's favorite targets in 78 and 79. Here is the summary of him that was printed in the 78 North Texas football guide.

BRUCE CHAMBERS, 5'-8", 142, junior wide receiver., Dallas (Carter, Coach Jack Keck). Bruce Edward Chambers, born 12-2-57 in Ennis TX, Industrial Management Major.

Started eight games at split end last season (77) while sharing game time with Charlie Murry. Moved in sping to No. 1 flanker. Caught 16 passes for 199 yards, a 12.4 average per catch. Led team in kickoff returns with 9 for 148 yards. Also had 4 punt returns for 32 yards. Lettered in 76 as a freshman and caught four passes. Primarily a defensive back in high school (so was the late and great Bernard Jackson). Won district and metro honors and was defensive player of the year in Dist. 12-4-A. Cleared 23 feet in the long jump. (coach Fry's comment/assessment) "Excellent speed and jumping ability. Potential game breaker".

This guy was recruited by Fry and played three years under him. He personally saw how Coach Fry turned things around at North Texas. He qualifies under one of my major criteria for a HC at North Texas.

KNOWING WHAT HE'S GETTING HIMSELF INTO.

Does anyone know what kind of public speaker/motivator Coach Chambers is?

here is the link to his bio on the Texas site.

http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/ind...hange_well_id=2

Edited by SilverEagle

I say we go with a Texas Football God. Someone who knows a little something about how to run an offense. Someone who can walk into any recruits home and have their attention and respect. He would be the youngest football coach in  the NCAA. But he is one of the hottest young coaches in football.

MAJOR APPELWHITE!!!!!

this is actually worth consideration.

What about Barry Switzer? Not that I like the guy, but he's got ties to Texas, definite college head coaching experience, no argument about name recognition, and I think I remember hearing at some point that he was originally interested in the HC job here before we hired DD.

He makes too much money in retirement with his restaurants and other businesses to waste his time in Denton. He's funny, though. The Real Lonnie Finch got a national title ring playing for The King.

Personally, I like our former OL coach Spencer Leftwich who has turned Tulsa's line into one of the best in the NCAA. Played prep and college ball in Texas, coached in Texas, plenty of ties.

http://tulsahurricane.cstv.com/sports/m-fo..._spencer00.html

But, at 41, he's too old for the Applewhite sycophants. Also, Tulsa has a winning record and Rice has a losing record. You always want to snatch coaches from losing programs. Serious programs are always combing the losers for coaching gems.

Anyway, other serious candidates:

Tony Samuel - former Cornhusker player, Standford and Prudue assistant, NMSU head coach, current Southeast Missouri State head coach.

Tim Billings - Wake Forest WR coach, former defensive coordinator at Marshall in the 1990s when they won two I-AA titles, and went undefeated at a I-A in 1999.

http://wakeforestsports.cstv.com/sports/m-...ings_tim00.html

Again, though, both are older and more experienced than Applewhite, so that may be a problem with some of you.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

Why? Oh why has no one mentioned the an obvious choice........

FWIW.... I'd pick MEAN JOE GREEN!!!! rolleyes.gif

I know that he is 60, but he has the big three:

1. HE'S A WINNER!!

2. NAME RECOGNITION!!

3. TEXAS TIES -- He IS the Mean Green for gosh sakes!!

Now I know that we need offense, but remember North Texas has always been about the defense... what HS defensive player in his right mind anywhere in the country, wouldn't want to be coached by one of the best defensive players in history?!?!?!