ESPN Blurb

LongJim

WORKING OVERTIME

By Brad Edwards, ESPN Research

North Texas entered Saturday as the only team among the 119 in Division I-A that had never played an overtime game. The Mean Green not only ended that streak, but they did it in style (sort of) with a 25-22 thriller (sort of) over Florida International in a record-tying seven overtime periods. By any account, it was an ugly win. There were four scoreless overtime periods -- also a I-A record -- as the kickers (neither was substituted for) combined to miss 8 of their 13 field-goal attempts in OT. North Texas kicker Denis Hopovac tied an NCAA record with nine field-goal attempts in the game. He made five, including the merciful game ender from 34 yards away.

Edited by LongJim

WORKING OVERTIME

North Texas entered Saturday as the only team among the 119 in Division I-A that had never played an overtime game. The Mean Green not only ended that streak, but they did it in style (sort of) with a 25-22 thriller (sort of) over Florida International in a record-tying seven overtime periods. By any account, it was an ugly win. There were four scoreless overtime periods -- also a I-A record -- as the kickers (neither was substituted for) combined to miss 8 of their 13 field-goal attempts in OT. North Texas kicker Denis Hopovac tied an NCAA record with nine field-goal attempts in the game. He made five, including the merciful game ender from 34 yards away.

Yep, this was a game for the ages rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

And who said a DD coached team could not produce a NCAA record performance wink.gifwink.gifwink.gif

Edited by El Paso Eagle

Yep, this was a game for the ages  rolleyes.gif  rolleyes.gif

And who said a DD coached team could not produce a NCAA record performance wink.gif  wink.gif  wink.gif

WOW, I guess you are right, D "K8MITB" D can produce some NCAA records. That is awesome pub for our university. I really like the "four scoreless overtime periods - also an I - A record". We may share the OT record with Arkansas, but they don't hold a candle to that scoreless record of ours. dry.gif

Edited by GoMeanGreen1999

Guest GrayEagleOne

See, we're better than the team that has consistently been last in Division 1A for what seems like forever. They are also usually last in attendance each year as well. They have had three coaches since we hired Dickey. The average life of a coach at Kent is about three years and they always hire some obscure assistant. No wonder, it seems to be a coach's gravehyard.

This year could be different. Currently they are 4-2 and ranked 69th in the country. That's 36 slots above us. Still, we have a better situation than they do. Let's keep it that way.

Anyone remember Northern Illinois? A mere grain of sand on the Div. 1A landscape, NIU was at the bottom of the 1A gutter rankings for several years. Heck, even a Matt Simon team went up there and beat them.

Low and behold, they changed coaches! Now look at them. I'd say they have come a long way in a short period of time.

Edited by DeepGreen

WORKING OVERTIME

---There were a lot of missed field-goals... including one that hit the up-right. However if you look at them they were not chip shots and most were 30, 35, 40 yards away. These are not automatic for most college kickers. One that was made was made by us after a fumbled snap and from 39 yards.... It was rather amazing that it succeeded.

We made the following FGs --- 29, 34 and 39 yards in OT and 35 and 23 in regular time. A lot of the missed ones were very long. Some folks need to be less critical of those kicks. I wonder if the defenses had failed and a TD had been scored in every OT attempt if they would claim that was a great game because of the extreme scoring??? There was some very good Defense in the OT periods.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

There was some very good Defense in the OT periods.

Was it really "very good" Defense, or was it a little bit of defense with HORRIBLE offenses? A very bad offense, can make a defense look very good. Case in point - would our defense this past saturday night, kept MTSU out of the end zone during 7 OT's? We won, yes. For those that were able to attend they enjoyed. For those of us that were forced to listen to it on the radio it was bad. I would argue that the offenses were very bad and therefore the Defenses had the appearance of being very good....but that is just my opinion.

Anyone remember Northern Illinois?  A mere grain of sand on the Div. 1A landscape, NIU was at the bottom of the 1A gutter rankings for several years.  Heck, even a Matt Simon team went up there and beat them.

Low and behold, they changed coaches!  Now look at them.  I'd say they have come a long way in a short period of time.

Joe Novak's overall record is 57-62. People would be talking about low expectations, and how can we have a coach with a losing record after 9+ years. wink.gif

---There were a lot of missed field-goals... including one that hit the up-right.  However if you look at them they were not chip shots and most were 30, 35, 40 yards away.  These are not automatic for most college kickers.  One that was made was made by us after a fumbled snap and from 39 yards.... It was rather amazing that it succeeded.

We made the following FGs --- 29, 34 and 39 yards in OT and 35 and 23 in regular time.  A lot of the missed ones were very long.  Some folks need to be less critical of those kicks.  I wonder if the defenses had failed and a TD had been scored in every OT attempt if they would claim that was a great game because of the extreme scoring???  There was some very good Defense in the OT periods.

Good points. I know one of the misses was from 52 yards and another was from 49. Taking that into account, think about this: if you start at the 25 and try from there, it is a 42-yard attempt. dry.gif One miss hit the upright and I have not been able to find the length on the other miss, but I was thinking it was over 40 as well. I think the kicker was doing well enough.

Good points.  I know one of the misses was from 52 yards and another was from 49.  Taking that into account, think about this:  if you start at the 25 and try from there, it is a 42-yard attempt.  dry.gif  One miss hit the upright and I have not been able to find the length on the other miss, but I was thinking it was over 40 as well.  I think the kicker was doing well enough.

Hopovac missed 51, 29, 38, 47 yd fgs

Rivist missed 26, 36, 42, 35 yd fgs

Hopovac missed  51, 29, 38, 47 yd fgs

Rivist missed 26, 36, 42, 35 yd fgs

Considering you are given the ball on the 25 yard line to start OT, the typical deep snap for a FG is 7 yards, then the length of these misses tells me how inept our offense was.

Considering you are given the ball on the 25 yard line to start OT, the typical deep snap for a FG is 7 yards, then the length of these misses tells me how inept our offense was.

Take the distances minus 17 yards. (7 yds from line of scrimmage / 10 yds from goal line to fg crossbar)

51 yd attempt los 34 - loss of 9

29 yd attempt los 12 - gain of 13

38 yd attempt los 21 - gain of 4

47 yd attempt los 30 - loss of 5

Edited by GreenGramma

Take the distances minus 17 yards.  (7 yds from line of scrimmage / 10 yds from goal line to fg crossbar) 

51 yd attempt los 34 - loss of 9

29 yd attempt los 12 - gain of 13

38 yd attempt los 21 - gain of 4

47 yd attempt los 30 - loss of 5

Ouch - A "net" 3 yards on those 4 series sad.gif