Next Coach ?

NT03

Hal Mumme - previously fired for recruiting violations

Mike Price - fired before he ever coached at Bama

Frank Solich - DWI after he got to Ohio.

Yeah, those are some guys we want associated with UNT.

If you would not want Mike Price you are crazy. As it goes most of the issues with him have now been proven false, or there is no evidence to support the claims. As Price does is get out and promote, promote, promote. He is extremely positive and he is bringing higher caliber athletes to UTEP than they have ever seen. In addition the amount of press Price receives is great for UTEP.

PLEASE GIVE ME A BREAK!!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hal Mumme - previously fired for recruiting violations

Mike Price - fired before he ever coached at Bama

Frank Solich - DWI after he got to Ohio.

Yeah, those are some guys we want associated with UNT.

Well I guess only Mother Teresa or the Pope then should be coaching at UNT according to your standards.

I'm just throwing some more big names out there:

Jimmy Johnson

Terry Bowden

Barry Switzer

Spike Dykes

Why would any of these guys come to UNT?  They wouldn't...we'll get stuck with some other no name guy that can't coach his way out of a paper sack.

I don't think any of these coaches are worth looking at. As far as I know UNT does not pay its players;-) Sorry ...could not resist.

Barry Switzer joke.....

Question: "How come Barry Switzer had a harder time as a Dallas Cowboys coach than he did as an OU coach?"

Answer: "In Dallas he had to work with a salery cap"

Well I guess only Mother Teresa or the Pope then should be coaching at UNT according to your standards.

She's dead and he's against abortions which is what this season is beginning to look like. So it looks like they're both out.

(I do hear he's big on passing the ball. Lots of hail mary's)

None of the above should have been an option.  I'm not sure who the right person is.  Dodge isn't leaving SLC until his son graduates, so he's out.  Please say no to Fran.  His reputation has taken a big hit the last few years.  Gary Barnett is an idiot and R.C. Slocum got run out of Collie Station because his offense was boring.

Bailiff @ TX St. San Marcos is an interesting option, but he's an alum of SWT and may not want to move.

The head coach at West TX A&M is interesting.  He runs a high powered offense and has been successful immediately.

I want a coach that is:

1.  Enthusiastic, a motivator and energetic.

2.  Has a relationship with the HS coaches in TX.

3.  Will sell the program to the community.

4.  Runs an entertaining offense.

Chambers and Applewhite would be at the top of my list.

Don Carthal is the coach at WT, turned a two win program into a 10 win program last year. Even tho he was hired after recruiting season was nearly over,. This year WT is 5-0 .

Dudes,

This has got to be one of the most nuttiest posts in a while.

You actually really think deep down in those shallow hearts of yours some "Big-Time" assistant coach in the BCS making more than Coach Dickey as a head coach would come to UNT?????/ hahahahahahahahahahahahha

I think too many of you, all together, stopped on the way back from work and grazed on some mushrooms along the side of the road.

Back in the 60's when UNTLifer, S.E., Buford Julip & PMG were going to NTSC/NTSU I heard there was some really good mind altering weed that actually helped your thought process.......but now......what you guys have been grazing on and eating along the side of the road had actually damaged your brains.

Step 1:

Go back and read the poll.

Step 2:

Go find out how much these guys make.

Step 3:

Would ya have the cajones enough to ask 'em for a pay cut?

Step 4:

Dudes, Coach Fry would have a heart attack at this level of play.

Singleterry would slam you so hard to the ground you may never come out of the mental hospital.

Step 5:

Go outside a get a lung full of fresh air.....

Dudes,

This has got to be one of the most nuttiest posts in a while.

You actually really think deep down in those shallow hearts of yours some "Big-Time" assistant coach in the BCS making more than Coach Dickey as a head coach would come to UNT?????/  hahahahahahahahahahahahha

I think too many of you, all together, stopped on the way back from work and grazed on some mushrooms along the side of the road.

Back in the 60's when UNTLifer, S.E., Buford Julip & PMG were going to NTSC/NTSU I heard there was some really good mind altering weed that actually helped your thought process.......but now......what you guys have been grazing on and eating along the side of the road had actually damaged your brains.

Step 1:

Go back and read the poll.

Step 2:

Go find out how much these guys make.

Step 3:

Would ya have the cajones enough to ask 'em for a pay cut?

Step 4:

Dudes, Coach Fry would have a heart attack at this level of play.

Singleterry would slam you so hard to the ground you may never come out of the mental hospital.

Step 5:

Go outside a get a lung full of fresh air.....

Ouch! eulesseagle, don't put me in that particular AARP category just yet! LOL!

Actually, it was the 1970's when I began my walk "down the corridor of years" in Denton. BUT...............Fry Street adjacent to our campus during the Viet Nam war was one very unique place I think we'd all admit. I swear I see some of the same hippies I saw during my era at UNT when I still come up to MG Country. I know I can't be hallucinating, but then again, maybe I am. rolleyes.gif

SERIOUSLY? UNT could afford and offer almost the same package Mike Price is getting at UTEP and El Paso Eagle I think would agree with that since (I think) it was he who posted what Price made several weeks ago. Downsizing some dead weight in the UNT Athletic Dept. would easily come up with the $150,000 some of you have said we would need.

Truth be known, those kind of monies are probably "find-able" and do-able w/o downsizing, but at most school's athletic departments aren't there occasional needs for some fresh new faces? I mean come on, folks, don't ministers even move after they've sorta' worn their welcomes out or perhaps they've probably preached one too many sermons on tithing?

There are most likely those in the UNT Athletic Dept. who probably would benefit from having their own fresh new start elsewhere if they would admit to it because would our "possible" upcoming and completely new football staff at UNT need to really hear from some old athletic dept. nestors who may just attempt to throw some cold water on their enthusiasm?

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I've said this before. I don't have a problem with hiring a coach "on their way up" as long as our hiring authority has enough sense to hire someone just like them as a replacement. We just need to be very focused and consistent when we hire replacements, so that, eventually our program will have grown to a point (fan wise, and money wise) that the coaches that we WANT to stay, can end up staying because we can afford to keep them.

In other words, we should have hired someone just like Hayden Fry when he left. The alternative would have been to hire Bill Brasher (as Fry recommended). But what the "powers that be" did was ignore Fry's suggestion and went about hiring someone just the opposite of Fry.

Since then, the hiring process for coaches at North Texas has been (in the words of my father's generation) one big SNAFU.

I've said this before. I don't have a problem with hiring a coach "on their way up" as long as our hiring authority has enough sense to hire someone just like them as a replacement. We just need to be very focused and consistent when we hire replacements, so that, eventually our program will have grown to a point (fan wise, and money wise) that the coaches that we WANT to stay, can end up staying because we can afford to keep them.

In other words, we should have hired someone just like Hayden Fry when he left. The alternative would have been to hire Bill Brasher (as Fry recommended). But what the "powers that be" did was ignore Fry's suggestion and went about hiring someone just the opposite of Fry.

Since then, the hiring process for coaches at North Texas has been (in the words of my father's generation) one big SNAFU.

YOU WHO HAVE HYPERTESNION PROBLEMS FROM READING PMG POSTS I SUGGEST TO YOU TO NOT READ THIS POST: (OK, I GAVE YOU FAIR WARNING). rolleyes.gif

SNAFU, Bill? That is not the word I would have used for our hiring of head football coaches history at UNT, but I also realize this is a family "PG" rated board, too. smile.gif

My gut feeling is when we have a HFC's opening one day (most likely sooner than later) at UNT, we will stick with our usual modus operendi and hire someone few of our group have heard of and then we will all "with arms open wide" welcome him to our fold just like 99.0 of us did Darrell Dickey with the most careful, responsible "national" search UNT had when DD was hired? rolleyes.gif uh...........................NOT! sad.gif

Those of the UNT BOR's who are NT Exes and you who are the really Big Donors which gives you some semblance of expertixe in Denton, please do try to help break the unsuccessful cycle of our school's football coaches hiring process while doing the most "un-North Texas" thing for a change and act like we'd really like to get the kind of hire who won't need 4 years of losing while at the same time trying to introduce himself to Texas HS football coaches. Our NT Exes who can need to use their influence to hire the (insert sublimenal "NAME" coach a la UTEP/Idaho) that will get this football program (bowl year or no bowl year) airborne and out of this Bottom of the NCAA D1-A Barrell co-existance.

huh.gif I mean come on now, folks, how many more bowl game appearances do we need to have with our football program still being ranked nowhere near the Top 50 do some of you need until you (on your very own) figure out for yourselves that this thing has not been progressing at all?

So just what is it that we could all agree is progress at UNT? Well, we seem to have some examples to follow if we only will...........and we can start with the simple fact that even WAC and MAC football champions have been in or near the Top 25 when they are at the top of the heap of their respective leagues so wouldn't that be a starter for any SBC football champion and not just when UNT is at the top of the SBC? NO RESPECT? Of course we don't get respect because we can't beat anyone in NCAA D1-A ranked between the Top 50 thru the Top 75--so what kind of respect are we supposed to be getting with those kind of OOC results?

HOPE ABOVE ALL HOPE..............There have been some "name' coach suggestion coming from various quarters and eras of this message board. That is a positive IMHO. Now if this all falls on deaf ears like it did with our KSU Konnection ring-leader, ie, former AD Craig Helwig still remains to be seen if we start looking for a new MG HFC in the next month or so.

OH GOD! PLEASE..............NOT AGAIN? ? ? ? ? ? But still...........my gut feeling is when the time arrives for their to be a change that our officials will blow yet another head football coaches hire because of why? Well, how about the fact that we have a history that suggests that we will blow it once again, that's why. wink.gif We'll have a couple UNT leaders who will tell us "we can't afford" the kind of hires that even the freakin' Idaho Vandals pulled off with their Coach Dennis Erickson and worse........... some of you will actually fall for that explanation, but many of us will not but merely shake our heads and tell each other: "Whoops! We Did It Again!" We let our own do it to us just one more time! Couldn't they have at least brought a jar a vaseline this time? :blink

BUT..............here's hoping that I will have to eat crow (that I have rarely had to eat concerning UNT football going on 4 decases because "dammit" we just have a history to go by in Denton AND.................. just like many of you, I, too, have been pretty accurate with an assessmennt of this football program for going on those 4 decades as far as who should be most likely be employed at our alma mater and (most likely) those who probably shouldn't be on our payroll. So for all us who are "EXPERTS" on such things rolleyes.gif you might ask "just what has been the barometers that has been used to make our assessments? HOLD THE BOARD...................

...........YOU MEAN UNT HAS A BAROMETER OF SUCCESS WHEN IT COMES TO ATHLETICS?

IF SO, WHAT THE HELL IS IT? Is it.............building yet another venue or facility out at Eagle Point Campus that if we don't build such we are going to be out of the inter-collegiate athletic business? No, I don't think we can really use that for our baromether, either, can we? I mean aren't those faclities sort of, uh, bare minimum neccessities? huh.gif

A BAROMETER FOR UNT: With many of us, you can simply start with turnstile numbers at the 4'th largest university in the Lone Star State, thats uh, Texas, for those of you who got here as quickly as you could. But what has been the turnstile count even during bowl years at our Denton-based main campus which is now closing in on 34,000 enrollment; what has been our turnstile count at our Denton-based school located in a boom population city with over 100,000 citizens in Denton and Denton Country closing in on 600,000 citizens? So who would be the one to tell us that during s 4 bowl year run that 15K per home game averages during those 4 years is really the norm? Who would tell you that that you could look at such a person imparting such information and your being able to maintain a straight face while he is telling you such? smile.gif

BE NICE TO CUSTOMERS THAT DON'T GIVE A JILLION BUCKS TO UNT: Also not to be over-looked in past years are attitudes of condescending arrogance some UNT athletic employees have pompously dished out without (apparently) being accountable to anyone for such. And such arrogance (wait a minute--arrogance from those who annually gave us 15K per home game turnstile numbers during 4 bowl years? laugh.gif (FWIW, even that is worth a Norm Hitzghes kind of giggle).

Nevertheless, such arrogance aimed at some of our very own fellow NT Exes who have probably forgotten more about NORTH TEXAS than most of the ones dishing out such arrogance will ever take the time to learn about an employer who has paid them pretty well and (quite frankly) not expected much in the area of results while doing so. ph34r.gifsad.gif

ARROGANCE, YOU SAY? That is such a non customer friendly attitude from some NT employees who have most of their careers in Denton been an integral part of a department that has (mostly) been an across the boardfailure if one even uses multi-year W/L records huh.gif as another barometer. And to quote one of those illustrious NT employees: Did You All Like That? rolleyes.gif Well, many of us don't like that and hope that future administrative methods by Rick V (or whoevers in charge up there) will change that as to insure that this kind of condescending bullshit is not allowed to continue at a Texas state-assisted institution, namely most of our's alma mater; you know, the one that even Texas tax payers help underwrite?

For crissakes', you still reading this?!?!?!? laugh.gif

It is the belief of many that we would all rally behind a true name head football coach in our future; but is is also the belief of many that at this point in time of our football history and with our past dismal record of hiring HFC's at UNT the last 2 1/2 decades that any less of a hire could really become a problem and UNT leaders can mostl likely count on the fact that there will be no rallying to take place the way it really needs to be taking place right now at a school like UNT.

YIELD NOT TO THE TEMPTATION TO KEEP OUR POOR HIRING OF HFC'S AT UNT RECORD IN TACT, CUT THRU THE FAT & POLITICS OF ALL THIS AND PLEASE DO NOT HIRE CRONIES BUT GIVE US A NAME COACH THAT WE WILL ALL RALLY BEHIND (and then you'll really be Glad 2B Green).

PS: Have A Nice Day! smile.gif

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

---I would think our best shot (if UNT makes a change) would be Dodge, Dykes, or someone similiar. Applewhite might be an interesting choice but is extremely young and inexperienced at this point. . They are fairly new, (no college head-coach experienced) both Texans with Texas connections and likely affordable. Ambitious people often will take a lesser salary if it provides them an opportunity to go to bigger things. If they succeed, I would would think their tenure in Denton would be 4-5 years at most.

---This may all be premature if DD succeeds the rest of the way. I think he is a good man and person but two years of little success usually does a coach in, one bad year is usually not a big problem after he has been there a while, especially if there are some reasons to explain the situation. Two consecutive one is a different matter.

--- I love Fry, but you have to be kidding... He is unlikely to want to coach and his age is a big factor now.

---"If a change occurs," we need someone who can recruit, can motivate, can teach, can have good game plans but change as necessary, and it would not hurt any to have one who has an outgoing personally as did Fry and Spike Dykes to get public attention. A college coach is very different that HS and pro ones who don't recruit and don't have to have the personality to satisfy alums and supporters. It is also important that the head hires good assistants and not just inempt buddies... that would do them in. A head coach needs good leadership skills and good assistants as much as anything.

Couple of comments:

Kitchens coached our RB's not the OL.

Euless, I was born in the 60's not attending NTSU.

An assistant at a BcS program that has aspirations to become a head coach may very well be willing to take a pay cut in the short term to fulfill his dreams.

Couple of comments:

Kitchens coached our RB's not the OL.

Euless, I was born in the 60's not attending NTSU.

An assistant at a BcS program that has aspirations to become a head coach may very well be willing to take a pay cut in the short term to fulfill his dreams.

Or if he is caught with strippers or lies on his resume. Those are the kinds of people we need to be scouting out. rolleyes.gif Suddenly a cut in pay doesn't look so bad for those types.

Edited by Stan R

Ouch!

SERIOUSLY? UNT could afford and offer almost the same package Mike Price is getting at UTEP and El Paso Eagle I think would agree with that since (I think) it was he who posted what Price made several weeks ago. Downsizing some dead weight in the UNT Athletic Dept. would easily come up with the $150,000 some of you have said we would need.

Some things to consider –

We might be better off to go with an up and coming coach (like the one at West Texas) but if we do he had better be very “fan friendly” and one hell of a salesman.

If we did try to go after a “name” coach who might be out of coaching – what would it hurt to try. So what if he uses us for 3 to 5years to get another job. If he does move on it will be because he was successful.

I think 3 things people might be overlooking with respect to getting a “name” coach to come here that might be out of coaching trying to get back in.

Ego/Pride – Desire – Location

Ego/Pride – There are those on the outside who want to get back “in the game” to prove that they are still good. The pride factor can play a large role in our ability to sign a coach for a lower base and load it with incentives.

Desire – These guys’s live football and want to be a part of it.

Location – The ole “Sleeping Giant” theory – If they can make it happen it UNT it could open the doors at a Major University.

To those who think a I-AA or II coach can't cut it, I give you Jim Tressel of OSU. Came from Youngstown State, took OSU to a National Title in '02. He does have more talent to work with, but if we could get someone from a lower class here in Texas we would at least have the recruiting covered.