Tough schedule helps address concerns

MeanGreen61

Football: Tough schedule helps address concerns

Offense, mental toughness still worries Dickey

10:27 PM CDT on Monday, September 25, 2006

By Brett Vito / Staff Writer

North Texas head coach Darrell Dickey knew his team was in for a challenge during a brutal series of four non-conference games to open the season.

Four weeks and one win later, Dickey and his players believe they have made progress but still have a lot to accomplish before opening Sun Belt Conference play Saturday at home against Middle Tennessee.

The Mean Green solved a few of their problems in the first month of the season, including settling on Woody Wilson as their starting quarterback and adjusting to a new 3-4 defense. A 33-13 loss to Akron on Saturday showed UNT still has plenty of challenges left, though, including finding a groove offensively and developing the mental toughness that helped the Mean Green win four straight Sun Belt titles from 2001-04.

UNT’s streak of consecutive conference titles ended last season after a 2-9 campaign.

“My biggest concern is having enough healthy players and our younger players learning to stay focused when things go wrong,” Dickey said. “It’s not that we were not playing hard [against Akron]. We were just not settled down. By the time we got settled in, they had a bunch of points on the board.”

UNT gave up two quick touchdowns in the first quarter against Akron and didn’t recover until it was too late.

Getting off to a slow start has been a problem for UNT all season, including in its win over SMU in Week 2. Evan Robertson’s punt block for a touchdown prevented UNT from being shut out in the first half of a 24-6 win.

The Mean Green have not scored an offensive touchdown in the first quarter of 16 straight games.

UNT is hoping its performance running the ball against the Zips is a sign its offense – and its running game specifically -- is coming around. Junior running back Jamario Thomas rushed for 120 yards and a touchdown against Akron in his best outing since his freshman season.

The Mean Green came into the game averaging just 67.7 yards a game on the ground and more than doubled that total with 175 yards against an Akron defense that ranked No. 42 nationally in total defense.

“It was great to move the ball,” UNT offensive lineman Joel Foster said. “The biggest thing was that we proved to ourselves that we can do it.”

UNT still ranks No. 117 out of 119 teams in Division I-A in total offense at 196.0 yards a game after a slow start, but some of its struggles could be attributed to its schedule. The Mean Green faced three defending conference champions – Texas, Tulsa and Akron – all on the road.

The Mean Green’s win over SMU was its only home game thus far this season. The schedule was rough early, but it is one UNT believes has helped narrow down its problems heading into conference play.

“The schedule helped prepare us,” junior linebacker Brandon Monroe said. “We have started to learn how to fight through adversity. We have been challenged and learned a lot. We have to use that to our advantage.”

Briefly …

Linebacker Phillip Graves worked with a trainer during practice on Monday in his first action since suffering a knee injury during preseason practices. Fellow linebackers Derek Mendoza and Willie Ransom also worked out. Dickey said he was not sure if any of the three would be ready to play against MTSU. … Former Oklahoma State running back David Jackson will have two years of eligibility remaining, including this season, after transferring to UNT. … Junior safety Cliff Higgs is questionable for the MTSU game with a sprained ankle.

BRETT VITO can be reached at 940-566-6870. His e-mail address is bvito@dentonrc.com.

I'm glad DD is worried, cause I am too after 4 games with our offense.

The next 2 games could very well tell the tale of our season.

Very true about the next two games telling us where we stand relative to our past success. I think we'll win both of them, but if we don't... that's a VERY bad sign.

Just curious how these four games were tough Non-conference?

This is the dream OOC games we have wanted for years and now it is tough?

Who would you rather play? UT, Colorado, Arkansas, Air Force or what we have this year + La. Tech. No brainer and we just made it look brutal with the results.

Hopefully we get the 3 LB's back but what we have right now is some hope on the defensive side and lots of underutilized talent on the offenseive side.

Former Oklahoma State running back David Jackson will have two years of eligibility remaining, including this season, after transferring to UNT. …

What's the skinny on this Jackson kid? Also, why only two years INCLUDING this season? He hasn't played a game this year, and we will be 1 game shy of 50% of games played after the MUTS. If he is really good (I don't know anything about him) then it seems like a waste.

Edited by chrisfisher

What's the skinny on this Jackson kid? Also, why only two years INCLUDING this season? He hasn't played a game this year, and we will be 1 game shy of 50% of games played after the MUTS. If he is really good (I don't know anything about him) then it seems like a waste.

If I had to guess, I'd guess that this young man is worth bringing in for 1 1/2 seasons, if for no other reason than as insurance if anything happens to Jamario. As hard as Mr. Robertson is playing (especially on special teams) this is obviously a statement about how confident the coaches are about Mr. Robertson being able to be the feature back.

Personally, I feel that James Mitchell should be moved over if they don't think that Mr. Robertson is an adequate back-up.

If Ramone Archie had any input into this decision (bringing Jackson in) then I'm all for it! Ramone Archie was one hell of a player!

Just curious how these four games were tough Non-conference?

This is the dream OOC games we have wanted for years and now it is tough?

With the exception of Texas, an OOC schedule including Tulsa, Akron, SMU, and La Tech is a dream lineup of very winnable games. I guess since this was really tough, maybe we should be scheduling Tarlton State, SFA, Sul Ross, Abilene Christian, or Henderson State(Ark). mad.gif

With the exception of Texas, an OOC schedule including Tulsa, Akron, SMU, and La Tech is a dream lineup of very winnable games. I guess since this was really tough, maybe we should be scheduling Tarlton State, SFA, Sul Ross, Abilene Christian, or Henderson State(Ark). mad.gif

I am not excusing our play. I was outraged after the horrendous Tulsa loss. But I have a few statements: new center, freshman QB, brand spanking new defense. Let's talk next year after OOC play. I think (and hope) and it will be a completely different story.

This is just typical DD's way of excusing why his team is 1-3. Thats all it is.

I am not excusing our play. I was outraged after the horrendous Tulsa loss. But I have a few statements:  new center, freshman QB, brand spanking new defense.  Let's talk next year after OOC play. I think (and hope) and it will be a completely different story.

The center should not have been an issue, we had the starter returning from last year, of course it all leads back to some poor recruiting the last few years after we did not replace the super stars from the 2002-2004 teams.

The center should not have been an issue, we had the starter returning from last year, of course it all leads back to some poor recruiting the last few years after we did not replace the super stars from the 2002-2004 teams.

Perhaps we did replace them, and haven't see it yet.

I seem to recall an article saying that a freshman center was working over time with a coach (a coach that was one of UNT's best center's ever) b/c we needed a center ASAP. I can't recall what, if anything, happened to the returning center you mention. I might be remembering this wrong though. Bring me up to speed if I am.

Guest GrayEagleOne

I seem to recall an article saying that a freshman center was working over time with a coach (a coach that was one of UNT's best center's ever) b/c we needed a center ASAP. I can't recall what, if anything, happened to the returning center you mention. I might be remembering this wrong though. Bring me up to speed if I am.

Last year's center was Chad Rose, who, I believe, played every down in 2005. He replaced one of UNT's best center ever, Andy Brewster. Andy is a graduate assistant coach this year. But Rose was injured for much of the fall drills and perhaps our prize recruit, Kelvin Drake, was switched to center. He had been a guard in high school. He was tutored by Brewster during Rose's absence. When Rose returned, he was again the starter in part because he was the more experienced and Drake was having problems with the exchange with the quarterback.

I don't know how Rose has graded this year but it must be pretty good because Drake has played sparingly. From what I've seen he's definitely improved over last year.

Last year's center was Chad Rose, who, I believe, played every down in 2005.  He replaced one of UNT's best center ever, Andy Brewster.  Andy is a graduate assistant coach this year.  But Rose was injured for much of the fall drills and perhaps our prize recruit, Kelvin Drake, was switched to center.  He had been a guard in high school.  He was tutored by Brewster during Rose's absence.  When Rose returned, he was again the starter in part because he was the more experienced and Drake was having problems with the exchange with the quarterback. 

I don't know how Rose has graded this year but it must be pretty good because Drake has played sparingly.  From what I've seen he's definitely improved over last year.

Thanks GreyEagleOne. I appreciate the info. I wish I had time to track all our players and their stories... I am so thankful for GMG.com... keep all the good info coming!