Akron Result

Mad Hatter

Alright, I'm listening to the end of this game, and it's pretty clear we're going to lose. But the second half has been a completely different game. Did the offense learn something? The ground game seemed to come to life.

Also - The Defense seemed to knuckle up and show us something that has been SORELY lacking.

Did we turn some corner? Did something click?

Am I just grabbing for straws?

I agree.  Had it not been for the 2 KO returns and the INT we beat the Zips tonight.  Stats, TOP, and totally dominated the 2nd half.  We beat ourselves in the first quarter.

Offense still needs to learn to finish drives. We had excellent field position in the 4th qtr and got inside the 10 twice and had no points to show for it.

Edited by UNTFan23

Offense still needs to learn to finish drives.  We had excellent field position in the 4th qtr and got inside the 10 twice and had no points to show for it.

Very true, but we won't face a defense as tought as we have seen in 3 of the first 4 games the rest of the year with the exception of Troy.

Thomas got going tonight. Wilson took great steps but needs to work on his timing with Nwigwe. It seems like when they cut Wilson loose and let him do his thing he makes the offense click. They coached him too much during the Tulsa game. He made some big mistakes late, but its also only his 2nd D1A start mistakes are to be expected.

I'm sorry, but we dominated the 2nd half. Keep in mind that was the first time Woody and the offense got to play together for almost (minus 2:00 in the 4Q) a full game. Admittedly, Woody didn't look as sharp in the passing. Akron completed almost 150 yards or more in punt return yards.....you can't win with those numbers.... I can say definitively though, our offensive was 200% more dynamic and productive, and I haven't even seen the stats.... DD and Co. definitely took chances (went on 4th down several times, on-side kicks, etc., etc.) in this game. Hopefully, we can build on this second half performance. Conference starts next week.

Ah, positives in this?  Akron had second string players in the second half and was trying to run clock off.  If they had any kicking game it would have been 55-13.

I didn't know they had 2 string players in... are you sure?

I'm sorry, but we dominated the 2nd half.  Keep in mind that was the first time Woody and the offense got to play together for almost (minus 2:00 in the 4Q) a full game. Admittedly, Woody didn't look as sharp in the passing.  Akron completed almost 150 yards or more in punt return yards.....you can't win with those numbers.... I can say definitively though, our offensive was 200% more dynamic and productive, and I haven't even seen the stats.... DD and Co. definitely took chances (went on 4th down several times, on-side kicks, etc., etc.) in this game.  Hopefully, we can build on this second half performance. Conference starts next week.

Dominating? What was so dominating about getting inside the 10 twice in the 4th and not scoring any points?

Yes, we played better ball then against Tulsa (but not that much better), however, we still have a long way to go as far as offense goes.

i just don't understand. you guys wonder why our program won't be more successful? i mean our fans think that there are "positives" in a 20 point loss. you can find positives in a 20 point loss to UT, OU or LSU all you want but don't start this crap when we lose by 20 to Akron. I mean what the hell is a Zip anyway? our offense was pathetic. our defense was pathetic. our special teams was pathetic. but that's ok to some. it was a moral victory. yay! I can't wait to line up and get my tickets for this years Moral Bowl.

i just don't understand.  you guys wonder why our program won't be more successful?  i mean our fans think that there are "positives" in a 20 point loss.  you can find positives in a 20 point loss to UT, OU or LSU all you want but don't start this crap when we lose by 20 to Akron.  I mean what the hell is a Zip anyway?  our offense was pathetic.  our defense was pathetic.  our special teams was pathetic.  but that's ok to some.  it was a moral victory.  yay!  I can't wait to line up and get my tickets for this years Moral Bowl.

Believe me, I understand your frustration. I advise you to go look at the ending game offensive stats. I suspect you'll see a different game than the score (I haven't seen them yet). We simply didn't capitalize on NUMEROUS opportunities to score (and win), especially in the 3 and 4Q. Perhaps this is how it will be the rest of season, but perhaps not. I can't be angry at our team all the time.

Believe me, I understand your frustration. I advise you to go look at the ending game offensive stats. I suspect you'll see a different game than the score (I haven't seen them yet). We simply didn't capitalize on NUMEROUS opportunities to score (and win), especially in the 3 and 4Q.  Perhaps this is how it will be the rest of season, but perhaps not. I can't be angry at our team all the time.

I don't think many people are angry at the team. Most people are sick and tired of our coaches seemingly not having the team prepared to play and who can't seem to come up with anything resembling an effective offensive gameplan or defensive scheme. The players can only run the plays that they are told to run. If they are told to sit back and let the opposing offense pass at will, that is what they are going to do. If they are told to run directly into the arms of the opposing defense repeatedly, that is what they are going to do. We can't blame the kids, they are just doing what they are told to do. While that is very frustrating for the fans when they are watching the game, just think how the players feel out there.

Do many of you really believe a team that goes up 33-7 in the first half, never punts and scored on every position; is going to be really fired up the second half? I am happy that NT did not fold in the second half, I think that is definitely a positive but to somehow suggest NT was ever in this game is an enormous stretch. For those that did not watch on the computer broadcast, there was a quote when the radio station was playing commercials in the second half when the announcer opined it was fortunate that NT (offense) is so inept.

This was an embarrassing loss , Akron had scored 10 points in the first half in its first three games.

If they are told to sit back and let the opposing offense pass at will, that is what they are going to do. If they are told to run directly into the arms of the opposing defense repeatedly, that is what they are going to do. We can't blame the kids, they are just doing what they are told to do.

You take a difficult position. Your statements suggest the coaching staff wants to lose a game. I seriously doubt that. We have to hold our players somewhat responsible. However, I do agree that our coaches hold much responsibility for our play this season. I have been very critical this past few weeks, but I like what I saw in the second half. When reviewing film this week, our offense can actually move past, "how do we move the ball" to "how do we score when we have the ball in the red zone." Our special teams, however, have their work cut out for them this week of practice. Their play was horrible on kick returns, and cost us any chance of a win.

Do many of you really believe a team that goes up 33-7 in the first half, never punts and scored on every position; is going to be really fired up the second half?

I heard the inept comment too... didn't like it either..... I'm sorry, but I can't credit our 2nd half with "they didn't care." I seriously doubt that. We played good in the second half.. come on, you can say it.... we just didn't score at the end of our drives at their end zone... and yes, I know, that's what counts. Nonetheless, that was worlds different than our offensive play against Tulsa.

Edited by chrisfisher

This team lost the most important phase of the game -> Special Teams. When you lose that phase as bad as NT did tonight, you're going to lose. Special teams can turn games in a heart beat. In this case, they turned the game in Akron's favor early.

That is INEXCUSABLE, and is without a doubt, a testament to bad coaching. The special teams coach should be taken behind the woodshed tonight by DD.

I'm proud the team came out in the 2nd half and played tough. IMO, this proves they could hang and I agree with DD's post game comment(is hell really forzen now!!) about these two teams being on the same level as far as talent goes.

It is the job of the coaches to get the CORRECT players into teh right positions on special teams, period.