OU Peterson may be looked at by NCAA

WHen it comes down to it you can investigate probably every major university and many of the mid-major universitys and find things like this. I would be willing to bet a player at every major university in the nation has taken dirty money. Maybe not this season, maybe not last season but I am sure that the dirty money is out there and being accepted it just happens Bomar and the OLman got caught. You know what pisses me off. Bush and his family did alot of illegal stuff during his college career and USC is not being punished for it. I don't care if the coach knew or not. Someone in that program knew and the comany knew and you better belive that Bush knew he was doing wrong while he was there. USC should be punished for NOT knowing they SHOULD have known what was going on with their star player and you can't tell me they don't have the staff to be able to know it was just not caring and that is not a precident the NCAA should set. Plausible deniability is not an excuse for crap like that to be going on in your program.

Edited by MeanGreenBuzz

I dont think that having a job is an "extra benifit". I am certain that the only reason he has the job is because of who his son is, but it would not be possible to regulate that no family members get promotions / jobs / etc.. while their family member is playing football for Blank U. I just dont see how they could legaly define that as an extra benifit. they would have to show that no other Felon has ever been employed at any dealership anywhere with the job description that he has. then they would have to prove that he has none of the qualifications that the job requires. if they were able to prove both of these they would have a 50 / 50 chance of proving somthing in violation of the NCAA rules occured here.

I dont think that having a job is an "extra benifit". I am certain that the only reason he has the job is because of who his son is, but it would not be possible to regulate that no family members get promotions / jobs / etc.. while their family member is playing football for Blank U. I just dont see how they could legaly define that as an extra benifit. they would have to show that no other Felon has ever been employed at any dealership anywhere with the job description that he has. then they would have to prove that he has none of the qualifications that the job requires. if they were able to prove both of these they would have a 50 / 50 chance of proving somthing in violation of the NCAA rules occured here.

You are right. In and of itself this is nota violation. However, since Adrian Peterson got to "test-drive" a Lexus for 6 months, and now the Bomar thing....this cannot go over looked.

However, the NCAA just re-instated the USC WR Jarret since he paid back the extra rent money

(even though rent was $3,866/month, of which his part was 23,196 for the year. And since Matt Leinart's dad only charged him $650/month, Jarret should have had to pay back $15,396. Though somehow $5,000 makes it all better).

I will take the NCAA seriously when they suspend a big time player or sanction a big time school (in a money sport, sanctioning OU women's gymnastics doesn't count).

Wait, OU knew that Peterson's dad had a job at that dealership but didn't know that at least two of their players had "jobs" at the same dealership? The same exact dealership that gave Peterson a free car for a couple of months? If there isn't a large scale investigation into OU and some pretty severe consequences, then I will give up all hope in the NCAA. I probably should have already considering their ignoring the free house Bush's family got, medical redshirts to everyone who has gotten a DUI or had a hangnail at OU, and how they have done everything possible to keep non BCS schools down, among many other things, but this would be the last straw.

Wait, OU knew that Peterson's dad had a job at that dealership but didn't know that at least two of their players had "jobs" at the same dealership? The same exact dealership that gave Peterson a free car for a couple of months? If there isn't a large scale investigation into OU and some pretty severe consequences, then I will give up all hope in the NCAA. I probably should have already considering their ignoring the free house Bush's family got, medical redshirts to everyone who has gotten a DUI or had a hangnail at OU, and how they have done everything possible to keep non BCS schools down, among many other things, but this would be the last straw.

different dealership

While we're at it let's investigate all of the local Big XII schools.  I'm sure Ramonce Taylor had some help screwing up.

That is the truly sad part. It seems that every time a player gets heat from the NCAA is when he did something incredibly stupid to get attention. If they don't call into the police to report that the free car they got that was full of free electronics was stolen, the NCAA would have no clue about it. It's almost as if they do not care what is going on, just as long as the public doesn't know about it.

You are right.  In and of itself this is nota violation.  However, since Adrian Peterson got to "test-drive" a Lexus for 6 months, and now the Bomar thing....this cannot go over looked.

However, the NCAA just re-instated the USC WR Jarret since he paid back the extra rent money

(even though rent was $3,866/month, of which his part was 23,196 for the year.  And since Matt Leinart's dad only charged him $650/month, Jarret should have had to pay back $15,396.  Though somehow $5,000 makes it all better).

I will take the NCAA seriously when they suspend a big time player or sanction a big time school (in a money sport, sanctioning OU women's gymnastics doesn't count).

---Unfortunately this is likely going on quite a bit and often the university has absolutely no knowledge of it occuring. (many are likely never discovered) They should get supicious however when a player with little money shows up with a new or really good car and other items. The same thing happened about 10-15 years ago to A&M... little work and really good "pay" for some plays from Dallas Carter. (That HS also got a state title taken away as well, they taught their students well about ethics) ... Slocum and group had no idea that it was going on but the Aggies paid for it by not being able to attend a bowl for a year or two.

---The case of SMU (and some others) is completely different. The school personal knew exactly what was going and in some cases participated in payments to student/athletes. The NCAA did the absolute right thing there. The college itself was a "cheating snake". I would say the same about some of the things that has happened at Ohio State and Colorado where "supposedly tutors" just flat our did the students work for them. They too really deserve to get hit hard. OU reported it once than found out the situation and were not really responsible for the act of the idiot kid and overzealious supporter.

---One of fine OSU alums is in the news again.... Colorado still has its moments as well. Meanwhile Baylor got rid of their corrupt former SMU basketball coach and seems to cleaned up their act.

I think this story is relevant to whatever investigation is going on, but I am completely unoffended by it. Good for Nelson Peterson for getting out of the hoosegow and getting a job (assuming he actually has to show up, of course). Even better that it's in a location where he can go to his son's games.

Even if a university does not have direct knowledge of particular events, they know stuff like this is going on. When nothing comes of it, it is going to keep happening. Now if a team has scholarships or the postseason taken away from them because of boosters paying kids, don't you think those boosters would think again before they take part in the demise if their beloved football team?

What is there to investigate?

I think they're supplying the pot.

Ricky Williams- UT running back who left the league because he couldn't leave the pot alone

Cedric Benson-UT running back who may or may not be a pot head but he did enter a residence to "recover" his plasma screen TV. Everyone I know calls that burglary.

Ramonce Taylor-UT running back who is leaving the school because of pot possession charges.

All I'm saying is this, if Selvin Young or Jamaal Charles get caught burglarizing a residence to "recover" their pot red flags should go up. laugh.gif

I think they're supplying the pot. 

Ricky Williams- UT running back who left the league because he couldn't leave the pot alone

Cedric Benson-UT running back who may or may not be a pot head but he did enter a residence to "recover" his plasma screen TV.  Everyone I know calls that burglary. 

Ramonce Taylor-UT running back who is leaving the school because of pot possession charges. 

All I'm saying is this, if Selvin Young or Jamaal Charles get caught burglarizing a residence to "recover" their pot red flags should go up.  laugh.gif

You mean all college students don't have Plasma screen televisions?

Well, I would say that makes a difference, but it doesn't. If OU can keep track of player's felon parents then they should be able to keep track of the players.

I think it makes a difference. one dealership is paying players who dont work there, the other is just employing a family member of a player. I dont think that giving the guys dad a job is dirty. I have a freind from High School who went to prison who now works in the mechanic shop of a car dealership. that just dosent seem like a big deal to me. Paying players for not working on the other hand is

You mean all college students don't have Plasma screen televisions?

---Cedric Benson is an odd situation... He was a very good baseball player as well and had signed a professional baseball contract (Yankees?) He had been drafted by them and in the summer he played professional baseball (minor league) and had received a rather good salary for it. He played for them I think three summers. He did not play the summer before his senior year at UT. He had signed a fairly large bonus and received a pretty good salary as well. I am surprised that this is not very widely known but it isn't. He could afford a new plasma TV and well as a good car. The reason I am aware of this is that is from Midland, where I live.

--- Years ago this would not have been illegal by NCAA standards but it is not now. Pay from a different sport no longer makes a person a professional any more. There have been several cases that a kid tries pro-baseball, fails or dislikes it, and goes back to college and plays football or some other sport sometimes on scholarship.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66