Not a Negative post, but I'm concerned...

I thought I was pretty disgusted when we got routed 54-2 at last season's home opener, and did not attend the last two home games. I got really criticized on this board for my decisions. I felt that I would reconsider and buy season tickets again this fall.

Now, I'm finding out there are many who are not going to renew their season tickets, for the same reasons I felt at the end of last season. This is not good news, at all. Hopefully, there are those among them who will reconsider.

I want us to improve, not only in the won-loss column, but also in the attitude of our coaching staff. I believe Coach Dickey's father said it best in the August 25th, 1978 issue of Sports Illustrated (page 12) when he said, as the new Kansas State Football Coach: "Kansas State hasn't won a Big Eight Championship in 40 years. I told them if I don't win a championship in that same length of time, I'll resign."

Do you think this runs in the family?

Well SE....the Dickies still have not won the Big 8, aka Big 12 but DD has won the SBC 4 times.

What were the university father's thinking when they hired an OC with a 13-31-1 record from UTEP and SMU??

1. What does that hint about his recruiting????

2. What does that hint about his play calling??

Think about all the other coaches who applied and were turned down.

Now after 8 years we are 39-55 and his trend is still in tact.

1. He still can not recruit.................................below average.

2. His play calling is abysmal...........................below average.

3. His P.R. is the pits.......................................below average.

4. His attitude toward OOC opponents is...........below average.

Am I going to get season tickets.....sure, why not. It's cheaper than taking my wife on a date and a lot more fun....becuz get to watch FFR get arrested for terroristic acts against humanity with his WMD's....get to watch, faux, fist fights in the stands between RF and Ninja SE .... laugh.gif

I'll be back! Thinking about upping my 2 season tickets plus selected games to a flat 4 season tickets this year. Mean Green Club, as usual. Yeah, it's miserable to witness our men being gang-raped but they are still my team, win or lose. Performances must/will get better this year IMHO.

I don't even have to think twice about my Season ticket renewal + mean green club donation. Its a no brainer w/ or w/o Dickey! I predict season ticket sales will beat last year, and call poppycock on this topic!

GGII, do you want to make a wager on that? Season ticket sales this year > last year?

I don't even have to think twice about my Season ticket renewal + mean green club donation.  Its a no brainer w/ or w/o Dickey!  I predict season ticket sales will beat last year, and call poppycock on this topic!

GGII, do you want to make a wager on that?  Season ticket sales this year > last year?

I will not make a wager on anything for now. It's still April. I'll make my decision after the 6 of us return from our trip to Canton, Ohio for the Hall of Fame induction ceremonies and NFL Hall of Fame Game (in early August).

I anticipate buying season tickets...but like I said...it's April!

I will not make a wager on anything for now. It's still April. I'll make my decision after the 6 of us return from our trip to Canton, Ohio for the Hall of Fame induction ceremonies and NFL Hall of Fame Game (in early August).

I anticipate buying season tickets...but like I said...it's April!

Oh, I get it.

GGII may not get season tickets = panic.

As many times as you have quit and come back, I think we'll be okay.

GGII, you sir, are a Drama Queen.

There will be no way to tell about season ticket sales...last year or this year...since ticket sales are a closely guarded state secret at the athletic department.

drex, perhaps they feel they are needing to adhere to the National Privacy Act on divulging such info? rolleyes.gif

I think most "lower" mid-major NCAA D1-A schools are basically getting the ones who are going to show up at their respective stadia on Game Day whether they buy seasons or not. When a program starts selling over 10,000 season tickets is when I think you start to see the big difference inside the stadium.

---I hate fair weather fans... I am an alum of North Texas...forever..... win, lose or draw.... I may be disappointed or get disgusted with them at times but I am NT-alum and reserve the right to mouth off but I am still a North Texan...... My biggest gripe in past few years has been, show some self discipline and quit shooting ourselves in the foot with stupid penalities. Draft players who "want" to win and don't accept losing, who are decent students, and have good sense.

----State secret??... then don't tell VP Cheney or his staff.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

I am purchasing 2 more season tickets this year for friends/family (already had 4) and joining the Mean Green Club. Heck, I've sat through driving, cold rain to watch a bad NTSU team get beat by an equally bad SHSU team at Fouts in front of *maybe* 3,000 fans. I've also seen a team go to 4 straight bowl games and get its first and only bowl win. I'm Mean Green through and through.

Last year I felt worried going into the season with the QB situation so up in the air. At least we have options this year (and experience). I feel *much* better going into this year. All programs have ups and downs. The best feeling is watching your team win its first bowl game, remembering the rainy SHSU games, and marveling at how far the program has come.

I've also seen a team go to 4 straight bowl games and get its first and only bowl win.  The best feeling is watching your team win its first bowl game

not the first.

1959 Sun...........New Mexico State 26, North Texas 8

1948 Salad.........Nevada 13, North Texas 6

1946 Optimist..... North Texas 14, Pacific 13

Guest Aquila_Viridis

I'm going to double my MGC as well as renew my 2 season tickets this year. I'm also going to give 5 times as much in my annual general UNT support.

If the football team loses no game by more than 30 (including UT), beats SMU, and has a winning season, I am going to further double both those annual gifts for the next five years.

If they miss any of those objectives, I'll continue the 5X general support (but not doubled i.e. 10X) for 5 years, but I will not continue MGC or season tickets after this year.

I hope others will adopt the same approach. That would make some upside for the school besides avoiding embarrassment this coming season. Maybe then some pressure will be felt. But my bit alone is not going to do that. Others need to take a similar approach and let the school know.

Maybe it seems extreme to hinge so much on the season and those games, but it is important to me to not have NT thought of as pitiful in this regard. Further, I say there is plenty of time to get ready to accomplish those objectives.

not the first.

1959 Sun...........New Mexico State 26, North Texas 8

1948 Salad.........Nevada 13, North Texas 6

1946 Optimist..... North Texas 14, Pacific 13

Heh, I must have forgot about the 1946 Optimist Bowl

Ok - second bowl win - but the first in my 37 years biggrin.gif

I'm going to double my MGC as well as renew my 2 season tickets this year. I'm also going to give 5 times as much in my annual general UNT support.

If the football team loses no game by more than 30 (including UT), beats SMU, and has a winning season, I am going to further double both those annual gifts for the next five years.

If they miss any of those objectives, I'll continue the 5X general support (but not doubled i.e. 10X) for 5 years, but I will not continue MGC or season tickets after this year. 

I hope others will adopt the same approach. That would make some upside for the school besides avoiding embarrassment this coming season. Maybe then some pressure will be felt. But my bit alone is not going to do that. Others need to take a similar approach and let the school know.

Maybe it seems extreme to hinge so much on the season and those games, but it is important to me to not have NT thought of as pitiful in this regard. Further, I say there is plenty of time to get ready to accomplish those objectives.

Very interesting, AV, maybe you should have also added: "If all the spots suddenly disappear from leopards world-wise" to your 2'nd paragraph, too"?smile.gif

But, AV, I'm afraid many have already begun their personal moratoriums a year earlier than yours if your criteria are not met. Some out here think being ranked (much higher) among the rest of the 117 member NCAA D1-A may now be even more important than winning the SBC and being ranked anywhere from #90 to #117; you know, just more of the same?

Just depends on what athletic neighborhood NT Exes and MG fans feel we deserve long-run. Some on the UNT athletic payroll are banking on the hope (and for their continued service on the UNT payroll) that the majority of the MG Nation will just be content beating the ULM's of the NCAA D1-A world. I think they (unfortunately for them) are just now beginning to hear the rumblings of an earthquake that will only increase on the Richter scale in Denton, Texas, America.

As you (among many) would very well know, AV, this is a program that in some of its lowest moments (as in a 1 win season in 1972 under Rod Rust) could still hire a Hayden Fry when many of our green-tinted Doubting Thomases even back then didn't think we of little ol' NTSU worthy of such a hire; yet we still hired a "name" coach to come to a much smaller Denton, Texas, as was the town in December of 1972 when NT officials inked Fry to a contract.

GRANDKIDS OF NTSU'S DOUBTING THOMASES STILL HANGIN' AROUND: In spite of what some of that group would have or like you to believe, there is one out there waiting to come to Denton just like there was a Mike Price waiting to come to a traditional basketball school with very little football success school and that we now call UTEP. Also, a school whose football program had never even come close to a ""Top 25" football ranking...............so "down in the West Texas town of El Paso" Mike Price (allegations and all) was hired at UTEP and a Top 25 ranking would soon follow. (The ghost of Marty Robbins was said to have been smiling after that hire).

STILL JUST HIND-SIGHTING: Wish ol' Hay' boy would have still had a 32,000 enrollment UNT, a 100,000+ populated city of Denton and a Denton County that is now larger than New Orleans (proper) was even before Katrina hit; anyway, wish the public relations-minded Pied Piper Fry could have marched in Denton with the constituency we now have. Could have been interesting to say the least.

At UNT, this is still not about well-meaning personalities presently on the UNT staff for those who want to make it that, but moreso about W/L records after years of service and where that has us standing among the rest of NCAA D1-A. If being the best in the SBC and 4 bowl games in a row would have vaulted the Mean Green to a similar kind of success UTEP gained after only 2 years of Mike Price at the helm; if after 4 bowl games MG football would have had rankings inside (at least) a Top 50 NCAA D1-A world; then this post would have most likely never been posted. **Jeez, folks, do some of our elect think UTEP deserves Top 25 and UNT doesn't? Check out the all time UNT/UTEP football series W/L record for those who might think we shouldn't be able to emulate what UTEP has done in football under Mike Price.sad.gif

YET..............a Mean Green Nation divided cannot stand and with that our apparent situation from reading this board and listening to those outside this board, its just (probably) time to move on to a brand new era with many new faces and fresh ideas. Across the board, can things really remain how they've been in Denton?

One still only has to look at NT varsity team's media guides which show in plain o' black and white the records of all those team's W/L performance from the last few years and then with those records for anyone connected with UNT to come to his/her own conclusion as to what they think this athletic program deserves and at what level; also, as to what they feel we should be annually striving for among the rest of the 117 members in NCAA D1-A.

If merely SBC success and #90 thru #117 rankings are what floats some of our MG fans boats, then they have everything that will make them most very happy & content in some years of SBC competition. Many think we can do much, much better because many have seen better, but at a much higher profile than SBC successes seem to be giving us.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen