Lamar to reinstate football?

DeepGreen

Those who want to re-kindle the North Texas ties with SFA, TSU-San Marcus, McNeese and the Southland will be happy to hear that Lamar could be returning football to Beaumont. We should add all of them to the Sun Belt Conference. The "serious donor money" is available in Beaumont with all of the trial lawyers in that city. dry.gif

From the Port Arthur News -

Bob West column for Sunday, April 2, 2006

"For the first time, I'm starting to believe the return of football is more than a pipe dream at Lamar. LU president Dr. Jimmy Simmons told me two weeks ago he's strongly in favor and it appears raising money to bring football back is going to be the top priority for Billy Tubbs as a full time athletic director. Tubbs, in fact, said last week that he thinks Lamar's long-term goal should be playing Division 1 football. In a meeting before he left for the Final Four, Tubbs said, “I think we need football. Right now, football has the best chance it's ever had of being revived at Lamar.” The key, of course, will be selling heavy-hitter type donors to step up with some serious money."

Edited by DeepGreen

Those who want to re-kindle the North Texas ties with SFA, TSU-San Marcus, McNeese and the Southland will be happy to hear that Lamar could be returning football to Beaumont.  We should add all of them to the Sun Belt Conference. The "serious donor money" is available in Beaumont with all of the trial lawyers in that city. dry.gif 

From the Port Arthur News -

Bob West column for Sunday, April 2, 2006

"For the first time, I'm starting to believe the return of football is more than a pipe dream at Lamar. LU president Dr. Jimmy Simmons told me two weeks ago he's strongly in favor and it appears raising money to bring football back is going to be the top priority for Billy Tubbs as a full time athletic director. Tubbs, in fact, said last week that he thinks Lamar's long-term goal should be playing Division 1 football. In a meeting before he left for the Final Four, Tubbs said, “I think we need football. Right now, football has the best chance it's ever had of being revived at Lamar.” The key, of course, will be selling heavy-hitter type donors to step up with some serious money."

they lost football because of lack of fans not money. they can not draw enough fans for d-1 football to beaumont.

They beat Baylor in 1988.

---Actually it was 1981 by 18-17 in Baylor's opening game... however they had lost in 1980 by 7-42. Baylor defeated us in their 1982 opening game by 21-17.

---Tubbs was once an assistant basketball coach at North Texas, under Blakely during the 70's, I think .....when we won 22+ games each of three consecutive years......and was ignored by the NCAA.... only 24 teams made "March Madness" during those years. Eight teams from the most succesful conference (included MVC) were automatic "Sweet Sixteen" teams and the other sixteen teams (including the SWC) had an additional playoff game to get into the sweet 16.

---Lamar would likely be years away from division I. Texas State may not be.

---Lamar, UT-Arlington, and West Texas State (A&M now) were placed into I-AA (purgotory) at the same time we were dropped back. Lamar and UTA dropped football and WTSU dropped into a non-schlorship conference. Only we have survived that mess in decent shape.

[[[ Thanks go to SMU for keeping us out of the SWC which resulted in us later having to drop to I-AA, ---jerks, ]]]

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

---Actually it was 1981 by 18-17 in Baylor's opening game... however they had lost in 1980 by 7-42.  Baylor defeated us in their 1982 opening game by 21-17.

---Tubbs was once an assistant basketball coach at North Texas, under Blakely during the 70's,  I think .....when we won 22+ games each of  three consecutive years......and was ignored by the NCAA.... only 24 teams made "March Madness" during those years.  Eight teams from the most succesful conference (included MVC) were automatic "Sweet Sixteen" teams and the other sixteen teams (including the SWC) had an additional playoff game to get into the sweet 16.

---Lamar would likely be years away from division I.  Texas State may not be.

---Lamar, UT-Arlington, and West Texas State (A&M now) were placed into I-A (purgotory) at the same time we were dropped back.  Lamar and UTA dropped football and WTSU dropped into a non-schlorship conference.  Only we have survived that mess in decent shape. 

[[[ Thanks go to SMU for keeping us out of the SWC which resulted in us later having to drop to I-A, ---jerks,  ]]]

Since when is the Lone Star Conference (West Texas/Div. 2) a non-scholarship conference? Also, we (and others) dropped to 1AA not 1A.

Since when is the Lone Star Conference (West Texas/Div. 2) a non-scholarship conference? Also, we (and others) dropped to 1AA not 1A.

WT did play non-scholarship football for two years after dropping out of DI. They now play DII with a full alotment of 45 scholarships. Last year they were 10-2 after only winning 7 games combined the previous 3 years. They led DII in attendance last year averaging nearly 15,000 per game. This spring they signed twenty high school and 19 transfers includingn five from the Big 12. They have also signed 20 more high school players who will walk on next fall.

Don Carthel, the new coach , was hired last spring , after recruiting season and managed to turn the program completly around.

WT did play non-scholarship football for two years after dropping out of DI. They now play DII with a full alotment of 45 scholarships. Last year they were 10-2 after only winning 7 games combined the previous 3 years. They led DII in attendance last year averaging nearly 15,000 per game. This spring they signed twenty high school and 19 transfers includingn five from the Big 12. They have also signed 20 more high school players who will  walk on next fall.

Don Carthel, the new coach , was hired last spring , after recruiting season and managed to turn the program completly around.

A. where did they find Coach Carthel?

B. Was he instrumental in turning around the program in his previous job? Or did he work for someone who did?

C. Do you know approximately what Coach Carthel's salary is?

D. How would you describe his personality? How much does he get out into the community to promote Buffalo Football?

F. How much does WT A$M charge for season tickets? How much for walk-up reserved seat tickets?

WT did play non-scholarship football for two years after dropping out of DI. They now play DII with a full alotment of 45 scholarships. Last year they were 10-2 after only winning 7 games combined the previous 3 years. They led DII in attendance last year averaging nearly 15,000 per game. This spring they signed twenty high school and 19 transfers includingn five from the Big 12. They have also signed 20 more high school players who will  walk on next fall.

Really very impressive, buff64 and I know you are very proud of your alma mater where you proudly played on the Buffs football team.

BUT...............the 15K per home game average part of your post for a DII school out in the Texas Panhandle sorta' makes many of us wonder (once again) as to "what in the wide world of sports are we doing wrong in Denton?!?!?!?sad.gif

FWIW....................people buy from people they like.

I still defer to my below "updated" signature.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

----I thought WT joined the conf with Howard Payne, Hardin Simmons, and McMurry, not the Lone Star with Angelo State, Abilene Christian and that group.. My error. In any case that is still a big drop in status from playing division I schools. I knew they they were playing Howard Payne for a while which did not give scholarships any more. I am surprised WT could not stay at the Southland level, I-AA. We are the only college of the four Texas ones that was removed from Divison I-A to still be playing at a high level. In any case for a while they had a non-schlorship program, that is what I remember and I knew they started playing Howard Payne which did not give scholarships.

---One advantage of being in West Texas is there is not a lot of competion for the sports dollar and attention (except HS) unlike in Dallas which is big problem for North Texas.. The only other university in the area is TxTech which is 100 miles away and other than that New Mexico is closest which is much farther and out of state.... Travel costs may have been the big factor in not staying at the Southland Conf. level. I know they had financial problems for a while in the early 80's so they dropped the scholarhips. I did not realize that WT had switched back. They even had no football team in 1991 for some reason.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

A. where did they find Coach Carthel?

B. Was he instrumental in turning around the program in his previous job? Or did he work for someone who did?

C.  Do you know approximately what Coach Carthel's salary is?

D. How would you describe his personality? How much does he get out into the community to promote Buffalo Football?

F. How much does WT A$M charge for season tickets?  How much for walk-up reserved seat tickets?

He had been out of coaching for about 10 years and was farming. His last head college coaching job was at Eastern New Mexico University, while there he won the Lone Star Conference a couple of times ( can you phanthom having to recruit to Portales , New Mexico ?). He returned to coaching as head coach of the Amarillo Arena League team for a little over a year before he was offered the WT job. He won the championship at Amarillo.

Don't know his salary, sure it's public record.

He is very visable to the community and supporters, has weekly luncheons with the public in Amarillo every week. Will respond to calls and emails. Active in fund raising. He was a very sucessful high school coach at one time.

WT charges $90 for chairback, with cupholders, season tickets ( 6 home games next year ) Last year walkup reserved tickets were $12. Gen. Ad. $5. This coming year Buffalo Club members , with a min. $250 donation, get 1/2 priced reserved chairback tickets (2) up to 12 with a $5,000 donation, reserved parking , private entrance into the stadium and personal host that provides concession service to your seat. The seats will also have name plagues on them.

----I thought WT joined the conf with Howard Payne,  Hardin Simmons, and McMurry, not the Lone Star with Angelo State, Abilene Christian and that group..  My error.  In any case that is still a big drop in status from playing division I schools. I knew they they were playing Howard Payne for a while which did not  give scholarships any more. I am surprised WT could not stay at the Southland level, I-AA.  We are the only college of the four Texas ones that was removed from Divison I-A to still be playing at a high level.  In any case for a while they had a non-schlorship program, that is what I remember and I knew they started playing Howard Payne which did not give scholarships.

---One advantage of being in West Texas is there is not a lot of competion for the sports dollar and attention (except HS) unlike in Dallas  which is big problem for North Texas..  The only other university in the area is TxTech which is 100 miles away and other than that New Mexico is closest which is much farther and out of state....  Travel costs may have been the big factor in not staying at the Southland Conf. level.  I know they had financial problems for a while in the early 80's so they dropped the scholarhips. I did not realize that WT had switched back.  They even had no football team in 1991 for some reason.

Don't recall ever playing Howard Payne, even when scholarship football was dropped they remained DII/

wow while we're at it we could make rivals with the university of phoenix online.

Like I posted acouple months back... the University of Phoenix has a pretty stout team coming back this year. Scheduling this powerhouse might be a problem as the University of Phoenix plays at a neighboring high school's soccer field... but don't knock their talent! Supposedly they scrimmaged a high school team out of FLORIDA, yeah I said Florida and UP won 21-17. rolleyes.gif

Edited by ipEAGLE

Like I posted acouple months back... the University of Phoenix has a pretty stout team coming back this year.  Scheduling this powerhouse might be a problem as the University of Phoenix plays at a neighboring high school's soccer field... but don't knock their talent!  Supposedly they scrimmaged a high school team out of FLORIDA, yeah I said Florida and UP won 21-17.  rolleyes.gif

You're way off. U of P only competes in Division 1A online XBOX tournaments. They are ranked consistently in the top 10 for online only universities..

He had been out of coaching for about 10 years and was farming. His last head college coaching job was at Eastern New Mexico University, while there he won the Lone Star Conference a couple of times ( can you phanthom having to recruit to Portales , New Mexico ?). He returned to coaching as head coach of the Amarillo Arena League team for a little over a year before he was offered the WT job. He won the championship at Amarillo.

Don't know his salary, sure it's public record.

He is very visable to the community and supporters, has weekly luncheons with the public in Amarillo every week. Will respond to calls and emails. Active in fund raising. He was a very sucessful high school coach at one time.

WT charges $90 for chairback, with cupholders, season tickets ( 6 home games next year ) Last year walkup reserved tickets were $12. Gen. Ad. $5. This coming year Buffalo Club members , with a min. $250 donation, get 1/2 priced reserved chairback tickets (2) up to 12 with a $5,000 donation, reserved parking , private entrance into the stadium and personal host that provides concession service to your seat. The seats will also have name plagues on them.

That former Washington St, San Diego Charger, & Dallas Cowboy QB that was a bust in the NFL was just recently signed to be the OC of WT.

That former Washington St, San Diego Charger, & Dallas Cowboy QB that was a bust in the NFL was just recently signed to be the OC of WT.

Not OC , QB coach. They also have Michael Sinclair , former all-pro Seahawk LB, coaching the LB'ers .

Don't recall ever playing Howard Payne, even when scholarship football was dropped they remained DII/

In 1986, West Texas defeated Howard Payne 31-7 in Brownwood

In 1994 West Texas defeated Howard Payne 59-56 in Canyon. (which is susrprising because HPU was a division III team at that time. I assumed WT was as well).

It appears that WT has lost 17 games to North Texas which is exceeded only by Hardin Simmons (26) Texas Tech (20) and Abilene Christian at (21). They have also defeat TxTech 7 times. Their most common opponent has been NMSU, 39 games including 26 wins..

http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_ii/ls...php?teamid=1482

Buff64,

Have they updated Kimbrough Stadium lately?

Have not been back in that area in quite sometime but I remember growing up and hearing the PA from my home.

Renovations are underway now. Replacing old chairbacks, adding several hundred new ones also. Working on restrooms and concession areas, as well as installing jumbotron scoreboard. Installed new carpet last year. Local group, Amarillo Cowboys, completly remolded practice fieldhouse last year.