Saturday Night Quarterbacking!

Black Scholes

Wilson will immediately be in the mix with Meager and Phillips at QB.

Stanley will probably start at Center or guard.

Loren will be in the mix at CB and hopefully be a starter

Carlson should get significant time at TE in running situations.

Drake, Santiago, Patton, Hemeng, and Sykes are true freshman that could contribute.

Wilson will immediately be in the mix with Meager and Phillips at QB.

Stanley will probably start at Center or guard.

Loren will be in the mix at CB and hopefully be a starter

Carlson should get significant time at TE in running situations.

Drake, Santiago, Patton, Hemeng, and Sykes are true freshman that could contribute.

so?? what is your grade? to quote a screaming Chuck Cooperstien "ANSWER THE QUESTION!! ANSWER THE QUESTION!" biggrin.gif

so?? what is your grade? to quote a screaming Chuck Cooperstien "ANSWER THE QUESTION!! ANSWER THE QUESTION!" biggrin.gif

It's very tough to grade a bunch of guys who have yet to take a snap at D1A but I will go with a C+ as well since we have a few guys that can step in and get significant playing time next year and some freshman that could play early at need positions. The grade could improve depending on what we do with the remainin 2-3 ships that are in our back pocket.

OK, I'm no expert here...but I love this class. 2-3 GREAT linemen (really think Tim Patton and Trent Stanley were HUGE recruits)...should be (hopefully) a good QB grab, awesome DB.

Most of these players were 1st-Team something...that sounded good to me.

But, and as several people on this board will no doubt emphasize, you never can tell how good a player is until he actually plays. Even a great JUCO can stink it up once he hits D1-A ball...

I give it a B+...agree, would have liked to have seen at least 2 good/great QB's and another great RB.

OK, I'm no expert here...but I love this class. 2-3 GREAT linemen (really think Tim Patton and Trent Stanley were HUGE recruits)...should be (hopefully) a good QB grab, awesome DB.

Most of these players were 1st-Team something...that sounded good to me.

Do you realize that there are over 4000 first team all district players just in class 3a to 5a in Texas? Other related insights, I've seen players praised for being in top 50 in Oklahoma and top 300 in Texas. On an average year there are usually less than 50 players in Oklahoma that get 1A ships and in Texas the number to get 1A ships is usually in the 300 to 350 range. Therefore, I am not sure why being on these lists is considered being significant.

I hope you are right on your evaluation of the class.

Guest GrayEagleOne

Not to be Mr. Negative but I'd have to rate this class a C.

There is some potential in this class but, by and large, few that the 'experts' knew about and hardly any had other Division 1-A offers.

I don't know a lot about the JUCO players except that Loren was the only player listed in the NJCAA list of their Top 100. It seems to me that Stanley should have been there, too. If Wilson returns to form, he could be a steal. He is accurate on short passes but I don't have a clue as to whether he can throw deep. Carlson is an impressive physical speciman who needs to develop in a short time.

As for the freshmen, Drake is the only highly-rated recruit but there are others who could work out. Patton is the most intriguing of the unknowns. Most of the linemen listed have decent to great size but are either a little short or a little slow.

We didn't sign a kicker and replacing Bazuldua should have been a high priority. How many points was he responsible for last year? There are no wide receivers and only one smallish running back; albeit with great high school talent.

I'm always a little uneasy when I see us beat Southwestern and Southeastern Oklahoma, Midwestern State and maybe a few 1-AAs for an athlete.

Let me get this straight. We now have two of three quarterbacks on board that cannot throw the deep pass? Without one or two good high school quarterbacks in this class that can throw a deep ball at least as good as Hall, I'd have to rate this class a C also. Not sure that means a thing since none of them have played D1A ball yet.

If I had to "unbundle" this class for a grade, I'd give the linemen we recruited a C+ to a B. We needed more lineman. Now, if they can play the game.

I think that a C+ sounds about right. We got a lot of good size in this class which is what we needed. It's tough to look at a OL/DL in HS and tell how they will work out in college. Here is my breakdown of a few of the new players.

TE- Brian Carlson- Weighing in at 260+ he will be used as a blocking TE

OL Kelvin Drake- Should help right away. Saw his tape on rivals and was impressed. He got off the ball quick and looked nasty. Good size already at 6'2 300

OL Nick Foster- At 340 already but is only 6'3. Coaches will have to trim him down.

DB Robbie Gordon- Sounds like a shut down corner with good size and speed.

DB Ray Loren- Hurts that he isnt coming until summer. Real good size and speed

QB Woody Wilson- Very mobile and accurate short passer. There were no long passes on his rivals video so the jury is still out. He is on campus already and I believe that he will start

DE Marqueis Sykes/Draylan Ross/Sam Osuwu Hemeng- All 3 have good size and speed for the position. It would be nice to redshirt all 3 but I doubt it will happen

OL Trent Stanley- Huge pickup. Will start at guard or center if Rose doesn't get it in gear in the first few days of spring. All Sun Belt player

TE Bryant Seidle- Possibly another Andy Blount? We can only hope

DL Esteban Santiago- Great sign as he already has desired size. And was an All-State player. But that was on the O-line. Signed as DT if doesn't produce there he would be a canidate to move to OL

Tim Patton- WOW! 15 tackles avg. during the stretch. Was anyone blocking him. Great size and should get in the rotation this year.

Just my opinion on most of the class.

We have a few ships left over. Hopefully we can pull off another Aaron Weathers type deal. One player to look for is juco OL James Maddox 6'6 340. Instant starter

Edited by H-towngreen

I think that a C+ sounds about right. We got a lot of good size in this class which is what we needed. It's tough to look at a OL/DL in HS and tell how they will work out in college. Here is my breakdown of a few of the new players.

TE- Brian Carlson- Weighing in at 260+ he will be used as a blocking TE

OL Kelvin Drake- Should help right away. Saw his tape on rivals and was impressed. He got off the ball quick and looked nasty. Good size already at 6'2 300

OL Nick Foster- At 340 already but is only 6'3. Coaches will have to trim him down.

DB Robbie Gordon- Sounds like a shut down corner with good size and speed.

DB Ray Loren- Hurts that he isnt coming until summer. Real good size and speed

QB Woody Wilson- Very mobile and accurate short passer. There were no long passes on his rivals video so the jury is still out. He is on campus already and I believe that he will start

DE Marqueis Sykes/Draylan Ross/Sam Osuwu Hemeng- All 3 have good size and speed for the position. It would be nice to redshirt all 3 but I doubt it will happen

OL Trent Stanley- Huge pickup. Will start at guard or center if Rose doesn't get it in gear in the first few days of spring. All Sun Belt player

TE Bryant Seidle- Possibly another Andy Blount? We can only hope

DL Esteban Santiago- Great sign as he already has desired size. And was an All-State player. But that was on the O-line. Signed as DT if doesn't produce their a canidate to move to OL

Tim Patton- WOW! 15 tackles avg. during the stretch. Was anyone blocking him. Great size and should get in the rotation this year.

Just my opinion on most of the class.

We have a few ships left over. Hopefully we can pull off another Aaron Weathers type deal. One player to look for is juco OL James Maddox 6'6 340. Instant starter

I believe Santiago played both OL and DL for El Paso Coronado

Edited by OldTimer

Not to be Mr. Negative but I'd have to rate this class a C.

There is some potential in this class but, by and large, few that the 'experts' knew about and hardly any had other Division 1-A offers.

I agree with you GEO. That was my main concern.

I was reading the Star Telegram this morning and noticed not one of the area's top 100 was going to UNT. Central Florida and SMUt both had commitments. Very. very sad, for UNT.

The biggest acquisitions - Wilson , Stanley, & Loren - are the keys to this class, IMO.

unsure.gif

Edited by Got5onIt