Carson Coffman chooses KState over NT

OldTimer

Message Boards Database Commits The Ticker Rankings Radio Subscribe

NTex New and Improved: The Signing Day Ticker January 31, 2006

Brian Gates

GoPowercat.com

Peculiar (Mo.) Raymore-Peculiar quarterback Carson Coffman visited Manhattan last weekend. Then the two-star rated prospect spent two days weighing his options on where he will go to college and now, one day before the signing period opens the son of former K-State and Green Bay Packers tight end Paul Coffman has made his decision.

Rivals.com

Carson Coffman will sign a scholarship agreement with K-State.

"I am going to Kansas State," The 6-foot-4, 190-pound Coffman said. "I just really liked the coaches a lot. It is also a good football atmosphere. I called the coaches and told them this morning of my decision.

"Coach Prince was excited when I told him. He welcomed me to the team."

Coffman also was able to notify the coaches at North Texas, his other finalist.

"I couldn't reach Coach (Darrell) Dickey because he is in the hospital," he said. "I did get one of the assistant coaches called and told them what I was doing. He sounded disappointed in my decision, but wished me well."

Coffman will begin school this fall at K-State as a part-time student.

"I'll be a part-time student this fall and then join the team in the spring since I am taking the grayshirt offer. I am excited about my chances there and happy to be going to Kansas State. I will sign a scholarship agreement tomorrow with them."

Ray-Pec coach Tom Kruse believes the Wildcats have picked up a very good quarterback in Coffman.

"I really think he'll be a great college quarterback," Kruse said. "He's a young kid right now, still only 17, a young senior. I really wish he was here another year to be honest. The big thing with him is obviously the bloodlines. He's got a brother (Chase) who really burst onto the scene as a true freshman at Missouri last season. I think he's got what it takes."

I too wish him well, but again question our strategy of putting "all of our eggs in one basket" when recruiting a quarterback. DD did the same last year with the QB that eventually signed with Nebraska.

I really think Meager will be much improved this year and am excited about what Wilson could bring to the team, but DD is going to have to continue to open up the offense to become more desirable to the quarterbacks out there.

This one hurts as I don't know if he will ever see the field at K-State. They just signed a 4* QB this year. So by the time the 4* is gone it will be Coffmans senior year. And most likely they will sign another 4* QB next year or the year after. I thought that he would have been great at NT. Anyway best of luck mad.gif

This one hurts as I don't know if he will ever see the field at K-State. They just signed a 4* QB this year. So by the time the 4* is gone it will be Coffmans senior year. And most likely they will sign another 4* QB next year or the year after. I thought that he would have been great at NT. Anyway best of luck mad.gif

I think you hit oit on the head. This kid will end up a TE or transfer in a year or 2.

I am happy to see that the majority of our fan base is so gracious. I am not. I will therefore reserve my coments for those who happened to be sitting next to me when I read this news and heard exactly what I thought about this. dry.gif

Im not excited about it at all. I think its laughable that someone would take a greyshirt over a scholarship and a shot at starting at another D1 program. But thats my opinion. Im guessing he had his reasons, among them had to be a chance to play against his brother in the Big12 North division. Just a thought. So for that, I say good luck with all that.

I agree with the sentiments of Lifer and Emmitt, I dont understand why we put all our eggs in one kids basket. thats 2 years in a row for 2 Big12 schools.

I'm not sure what to think about what some people say on this board. A lot of people whine and cry that we don't go after highly rated recruits, and when we do some of the same people whine and cry that we "put all our eggs in one basket", and the like. For NT to go after highly rated recruits I would assume that we would have to pitch playing time and being THE guy to get him to come here. NT doesn't have the ability, or the resources for that matter, to go after a lot of highly rated recruits. Anyways, just something I was thinking about. I'm sure someone will come set me straight about how we should be battling UT and OU for all the same recruits.

I'm not sure what to think about what some people say on this board. A lot of people whine and cry that we don't go after highly rated recruits, and when we do some of the same people whine and cry that we "put all our eggs in one basket", and the like. For NT to go after highly rated recruits I would assume that we would have to pitch playing time and being THE guy to get him to come here. NT doesn't have the ability, or the resources for that matter, to go after a lot of highly rated recruits. Anyways, just something I was thinking about. I'm sure someone will come set me straight about how we should be battling UT and OU for all the same recruits.

I am not sure a 2* recruit constitutes a highly rated recruit. The 2* comes directly out of the article.

I am more impressed with Woody Wilson.

I think we should be battling UT, OU, and even LSU for recruits. rolleyes.gif

A highly recruited player who doesn't get another offer? There is no guarantee that a grayshirt will ever get a ship. Imo I don't think this is a big loss, but do wonder why NT did not go after several QB's. Perhaps there is another in the wings.

On another note, I see nothing wrong with NT going after any recruit. No you are not likely to ever win a recruiting battle with the top power league programs. But if you don't think you can go toe to toe with most CUSA and WAC teams, then you have no business in 1A.

Edited by GrandGreen

Big deal.  I didn't like his attitude towards UNT.  The whole time it seemed like he wanted to go somewhere else.  a family friend deal to start with.

I had the same thought earlier. I don't care how talented the kid is, with the kind of attitude he had, I'm not sure I'd want a prima donna coming into the program thinking that he lowered himself to our standards.

If he'd rather grayshirt and wind up third on the bench than actually have a shot at playing... I'm not sure I'd want that guy, either.

I can't ever prove this, but my hunch is this might end up being for the best.

This is the catch-22 about this whole process. You're not going to get a kid of that talent at our level pitching casually. If you go after him, you almost have to put all your eggs in the same basket to get him to sign. If not, you have no shot. But if you do pin all your hopes on one guy, you risk him making a bonehead young kid type decision, like Coffman did.

Thi sis why he took the greyshirt:

1. Woodrow Wilson -> College Experience as a QB. 3 years of eligibility

2. Matt Phillips -> College Experience as a QB. 3 years of eligibility

3. Daniel Meager -> College Experience as a QB. 2 years of eligibility

4. Steven Prince -> new QB recruit.

Combine that with the fact that Coffman really never wanted to come here. Never expected him to sign here. Williams, the stud DE from Dallas, was a better shot at coming to UNT than Coffman, IMO.