DMN: UNT's Byerly not expected to return

gruu

UNT's Byerly not expected to return

12:54 AM CST on Friday, January 13, 2006

By BRETT VITO / Denton Record-Chronicle

DENTON – Former quarterback Joey Byerly is not enrolled in school for the upcoming semester and is unlikely to rejoin the team.

Byerly came out of spring practice in 2005 as the starting quarterback but was declared academically ineligible over the summer and did not play last season.

"I don't believe at this point in time that Joey is going to return to North Texas," coach Darrell Dickey said.

Oooh...frustration!

Not that this exactly comes as a surprise, but it really ticks me off that we have trouble getting D-I talent in here unless there's an asterisk next to their name indicating grade or disciplinary problems. I know that's blanket statement that problably shouldn't be made but I'm just frustrated with Joey Byerly. I don't think that the loss of Byerly completely lost last season for NT...but it was the biggest problem IMO.

Byerly isn't anybody's fault but his own.  DD nor any part of the coaching staff failed.  Like others have said....this is no loss.  No big deal.

Exactly. He was not dressed last season because of academics. He is not enrolled for spring. Almost like he wasn't here...which he wasn't.

I sure would have liked to see him run over some Texas linebackers.  Oh well.

---I prefer a quarterback that is intelligent and is capable of making good decisions instead of one that is incapable of passing enough classes to remain eligible.

---Rather than have a quarterback that is a good athlete but incapable of good decisions we will be better off with a lesser athlete that makes good decisions. That postion is more about decisions and leadership than how many people they can run over or how far they can throw.. The more intelligent players would have little respect for a dumb QB.

Tell me one school that does not lose players..

Your right - its a high achieving academic power house program with a ton of accountability on all levels. My bad.

My concerns are that this is part of a trend - I know all schools lose players - we seem to lose many. It reflects on a growing lack of dsicipline and accountability that seems to exist here.

Edited by Michael Scott

---I prefer a quarterback that is intelligent and is capable of making good decisions instead of one that is incapable of passing enough classes to remain eligible.

---Rather than have a quarterback that is a good athlete but incapable of good decisions we will be better off with a lesser athlete that makes good decisions.  That postion is more about decisions  and leadership than how many people they can run over or how far they can throw..  The more intelligent players would have little respect for a dumb QB.

I would have had more confidence going into the Texas game if we had Byerly at QB. Meager is average... Phillips has a shot to be good...lets hope Woody can get it done.

I'll take a 6'4 250 pound QB over Meager who is very injury prone... especially against the National Champions.

Because you KNOW Texas is going to be in our backfield most of the night... I want a QB with some strength to break out of that first hit and gain some yards. Meager gets taken down by a shoestring.

Your right - its a high achieving academic power house program with a ton of accountability on all levels. My bad.

My concerns are that this is part of a trend - I know all schools lose players - we seem to lose many. It reflects on a growing lack of dsicipline and accountability that seems to exist here.

We lose players like everyone else. The problem is North Texas take a big hit when we lose a good one or a player with real potential. Our depth is just not strong enough to take many hits.

No big loss - but they did fail to keep a kid enrolled AGAIN. If this was an isolated case of this I would agree with you that no one failed.

The only thing they may have failed at was bad character judgement. Byerly is the one that failed, multiple times. I place no blame on the coaching staff. They can only do so much. Unfortunately, the kid chose to fail and he succeeded. NO BIG LOSS.

This just makes it easier on us and the coaching staff.  Now, the coaching staff doesn't have to include Byerly in the rotation for possible QBs, giving the others more playing time.  It also offers one less option to argue over on the board.  biggrin.gif

I think someone will find a way to pick up the slack laugh.gif

Why don't we have free ipods at every game?

Byerly isn't anybody's fault but his own.  DD nor any part of the coaching staff failed.  Like others have said....this is no loss.  No big deal.

Don't you think it is part of the recruiting process to evaluate the likelihood that a recruit may have academic issues. Teams like NT take more chances than more established programs with borderline recruits because they can't compete for less risky top tier players. The rewards are sometimes substantial, for example the signing of Lineberry and Buckles. On the other side, there are many players that don't make it; for example Ruff, Raymond and Byerly.

I am not sure that I would be to quick to blame recruits for academic issues. Unless you know that particular players' background, you have no basis to evaluate their effort. There are computant hard working people that just are not cut out for college.

If you'll remember last summers' Dave Campbell's committed a full page to Joey and listed him as the starting QB for '05. After talking to the editor during halftime of the SL Carrol game he mentioned that it was a bit of an embarrassment for them as well as for NT. I agree.

Can't recall the last major starter lost to grades by one of the money programs from the Big 12? Seems OU lost a guy a while back but I can't remember his name. Maybe it's just that we don't keep up with them as closely as we do NT, but Byerly was a top featured player for us last year in the media. NT has lost numerous starters to grades or discipline problems the past 4 years. It makes the winning streak seem that much more amazing.

Rick

If you'll remember last summers' Dave Campbell's committed a full page to Joey and listed him as the starting QB for '05.  After talking to the editor during halftime of the SL Carrol game he mentioned that it was a bit of an embarrassment for them as well as for NT.  I agree.

Can't recall the last major starter lost to grades by one of the money programs from the Big 12?  Seems OU lost a guy a while back but I can't remember his name.  Maybe it's just that we don't keep up with them as closely as we do NT, but Byerly was a top featured player for us last year  in the media.  NT has lost numerous starters to grades or discipline problems the past 4 years.  It makes the winning streak seem that much more amazing.

Rick

UT lost P.J. Tucker, their best BB player,to grades last year. A&M lost about 8 football players last year at semester, assume several were because of grades.