Albino Squirrel on Ch. 5 news

Stan R

They had a 5 minute report on the albino squirrel at north texas on Ch. 5 last night about our friend the albino squirrel. rolleyes.gif Said they were selling albino squirrel pens in the union and they were selling like crazy. At least they said we were the mean green. Interviewed several on campus as well. The news crews said they were shocked they even found him and were able to get footage. Supposedly some students on campus say that seeing the squirrel before a test is good luck. laugh.gif

Supposedly some students on campus say that seeing the squirrel before a test is good luck.  laugh.gif

Yup. Saw the original squirrel right before my finals first semester my freshman year. I made straight A's that semester. Every semester after that, around finals, I would look for the squirrel but I never saw him again.

But I did see the new squirrel on Monday walking between the Union/ESSC and COBA. I'm hoping the luck still works for masters classes. cool.gif

I hate to say it, but I am getting really tired of hearing about the stupid squirrel. This is getting out of hand. We are not the UNT Albino Squirrels, but that seems to get more attention on campus than anything else. Its just an animal that is not truely equipped to survive in the real world. I guess the world loves an underdog.

Guest JohnDenver

You know this is like the third squirrel right? The preservation society planted it on campus a few years ago and it died, so they got another one and it died. I believe this is the third one. They try to keep that under tight wraps but somebody told the wrong peson.

You are full of crap.

I hate to say it, but I am getting really tired of hearing about the stupid squirrel.  This is getting out of hand.  We are not the UNT Albino Squirrels, but that seems to get more attention on campus than anything else.  Its just an animal that is not truely equipped to survive in the real world.  I guess the world loves an underdog.

thats right!! were the Texas State Armadillo's damnit!! now there is an animal made to survive.

You know this is like the third squirrel right? The preservation society planted it on campus a few years ago and it died, so they got another one and it died. I believe this is the third one. They try to keep that under tight wraps but somebody told the wrong peson.

huh? blink.gif

Where the heck did you hear that? The albino squirrels (yes, plural) live discretely behind the Willis Library. I've seen 2 at the same time (outside the Music Annex), and a third later that same day.

Although I never saw more than one in the same day again, every time I saw the one that spends most of its time outside the Annex, it looked like it was in no hurry to die of bad health.

*has flashbacks of squirrel skittering up and down the tree and nibbling on food*

...gotta agree with forevereagle on this one: I was always pretty apathetic about them, and never understood their hype. Anyone who thinks that this "phenomenom" is unique to our campus needs to do a google search. However, if you prefer to hunt them out in hopes of finals luck, have at it. I'll stick to my guns, go back to my practice room and rest comfortably knowing that the piano faculty didn't approve of my juries because of animal sightings.

-gm

the albino squirrel makes everyone think of UNT as a bunch of idiots, remeber when they tired to vote the damn squirrel as our new mascot, that was riduculous, i mean even Rick Villareal and Darrell Dickey got involved and said it would hurt our image and we were always the Mean Green.

North Texas will always be the mean green always.

whenever i drive on campus i always try to hunt them down and run over them, as does everyone else who are true mean green fans. i bet im not the only one.

you people just like to piss and moan about anything. If this was a rare tree that grew on the campus you wouldn't complain because people wouldn't get "confused" about what our mascot is.

About 3 weeks before the fall 2004 semester I saw a family who had trapped an albino squirrel at their home and then released him on campus because they had heard about our naturally existing one. That day as I'm behind the ESSS and Matthews Hall and spot the "original" squirrel.

I've still yet to see my test scores go up as a result though... unsure.gif

Are albino squirrels as rare as out-of-conferece wins????. Most people at NT like seeing one.

Proof: The squirrel has something to do with football, therefore they are relevent to the football topic.

I've heard that UT claims to have an albino squirrel too. Although their time and news pages are filled with winning football teams and such and don't have need to cover common animals.

Plus, seeing the squirrel is not all that difficult. Everytime I venture to campus I see the lazy thing sitting up in the tree between Matthews and the Union's East entrance.

user posted image

Off the NTDaily web page. huh.gif

This seems to be old news. That picture and article is from January this year. There are other articles older then that.

This link to a Connecticut NBC station has video on the website.

NBC30 article and video of Albino Squirl

All NBC web sites picked up the story on Thursday.

Search the web for Albino Squirrel and there are about 24,000 hits.

Edited by gksmith

Any publicity we get as a school, albino squirrels or not, shouldn't be over looked. If they upset you then you must not have much confidence in yourself or your school. We are bigger than that. I could imagine somewhere like UTA or WTAMC being upset, but we are honestly on the edge of "Big Time Sports."

Give the little guys some slack. Maybe it gives the papers something to right about instead of our miserable OOC records.

biggrin.gif