This is not a negative post but PLEASE GIVE

calvin

Unless he was not feeling well or his hamstring was sore I still dont see how he didnt get more carries. His first carry went for 12 and then he broke off a huge play on 3rd down. If you notice he never gets tackled for a loss. He is a threat to go at anytime and the way our offense was going I dont know why he wasnt in there. All he did was rush for 5 200 yard games last year. Out of 38 carries I could see it being split 20 and 18 not 28 to 10.

No offense to Cobbs b/c he is very good and looked good the other night but there are not too many in the country better than Thomas. Some people say well maybe he ran that much b/c of scouts, I dont buy that. And as far as him looking better than JaMario how could you tell, when he carries almost 3 times as more ? I thought for sure their thinking was alright now it is the 4th quarter and we have a fresh JaMario that we are going to send out there but they didnt even do that. Like I said I dont know what the situation was but I just couldnt believe that Jamario wasnt hardly involved in the game.

Guest JohnDenver

i was thinking it might have something to do with Meager being a Freshman, and Cobbs was essentially a coach last year, so he'd be a great person to have out there to calm everyone down and keep the QB focused.

On more than one play Cobbs would walk over and talk to Meager coming out of the huddle.

He was definitely out there to help the new QB.

It was one game, stop complaining.  It is was more important to have a senior in there in the first game.  Besides, there is already a thread about this...

With all due respect, if you want him out there for his experience and the fact he could help keep our new QB focused that is fine, but enough with this “because he’s a senior”. We need the best players on the field who the coaches believe will help us win the game – period! Some may agree, and others disagree with DD’s tactics, but let’s hope that he fielding the best players based on what they bring to the teams ability to win and not using their remaining eligibility to determine playing time.

i agree that jmo needs more touches, but we also necessarily sustaining long drives and racking up a large number of plays to begin with. i'm not going to worry about it as long as we keep winning. in a loss is when i'll get upset. i think this is a much tougher issue than i had initially thought it would be.

Cobbs is a very good runner and this is his senior year. He did real well, only time is was getting bad yards is when he was getting hit in the backfield, and J-mo was doing the same thing, both are very good backs and lets just wait and see what happens.

Edited by Nt4Life!

I was just hoping to see more of the both of them on the field at the same time. I only remember seeing that on 1 or 2 plays. Do we have plays that are designed to utilize both of the RB's at the same time? I would assume that we do...but I was thinking that the coaching staff may have not utilized all of the offensive playbook against MTSU because it was Meagar's first game and they didn't wan't to overwhelm him. Anyone know it that was the case?

Edited by Green Lantern

With all due respect, if you want him out there for his experience and the fact he could help keep our new QB focused that is fine, but enough with this “because he’s a senior”. We need the best players on the field who the coaches believe will help us win the game – period! Some may agree, and others disagree with DD’s tactics, but let’s hope that he fielding the best players based on what they bring to the teams ability to win and not using their remaining eligibility to determine playing time.

My comment with him being a senior concerned his experience with the game situation. He has seen MT beaten 4 times in a row. He was there to make sure there wasn't any mental mistakes and to point out nuances that may arise. I think that Cobbs has really become a student of the game and is becoming a wise mentor. Kudos to the freshmen for not making many mental mistakes.

Again after just one game, I cannot believe this topic has arisen.

Edited by MeanMag

I fully understand why The Emerald Express played most of the night. Everyone may as well get used to it. Patrick IS the leader of this team this year. After a tough return after kickoff he was back in there to start the offensive series. He will be on the field most of the time this year due to his leadership. SPJMo will get his chances also, but it's even more nice to have him come in knowing that he's very fresh.

One funny part of this game during the 3rd quarter was when a group of Blue Raider fans next to our seciton kept yelling..."THE RUNNING BACK IS GOING TO GET THE BALL!!!!" as if the defense didn't know it already? It was one of those "Thank you captain obvious for the heads up" type of funnies I suppose.

Rick

I agree with Calvin. If in your publicized depth chart, you have "Patrick Cobbs OR Jamario Thomas" and Thomas only gets 2 carries before halftime (is that correct?)--something is wrong.

I definitely think this will be a debate that lasts all season, though. Talking to one of my friends after the game, I realized that there are going to be 2 different camps....the kind that like Barry Sanders style running (to me that's what Cobbs reminded me of on Saturday with all his dancing behind the line of scrimmage) and the kind that don't. I'm one who really doesn't, so I was very disappointed that Thomas wasn't in more often. I'll take the guy who always makes it back to the line of scrimmage and seemingly always falls forward when the play is dead over the guy who's occasionally going to lose big yards while dancing in space trying to find holes. Granted, this is a GREAT debate to have to have about players on the SAME team!!

I love them both, but Super Jamario is my favorite!! rolleyes.gif

PC stayed out there for three reasons:

1)Dickey will always defer to the senior. 

2)The box was stacked and Cobbs is more of a "power" runner.  True or not that's the perception.

3)He's now only 122 yards shy of the all-time rushing mark at NT.  Think him breaking it this weekend AT HOME wasn't considered?

Yeah, ok....I'll accept #3 if that was the reason...

Did I dream that we won on Saturday? I don't know why so many people would be crying about a win, so I must have.

WE WON THE GAME! PC was the man on Saturday, just as JT will be the man in future games. Stop criticizing every little thing and enjoy the win.

PC stayed out there for three reasons:

1)Dickey will always defer to the senior. 

2)The box was stacked and Cobbs is more of a "power" runner.  True or not that's the perception.

3)He's now only 122 yards shy of the all-time rushing mark at NT.  Think him breaking it this weekend AT HOME wasn't considered?

If #3 is a reason, then after this home game, JT better get every carry the next two games.

Reason being:

I dont how many of you know this, but last week Adrian Petterson became the fastest back in NCAA history to rush for 2000 yards in his career, he did that in 15 games.

Right now JT is sitting around 1850 for his career, but has only played in 11 games.

How nice would it be to see at NT Running Back sitting atop another record about the likes of Adrian Petterson, Barry Sanders, Rickey Williams, Marcus Allen, etc.???????????????????????????????????????????

If #3 is a reason, then after this home game, JT better get every carry the next two games. 

Reason being:

I dont how many of you know this, but last week Adrian Petterson became the fastest back in NCAA history to rush for 2000 yards in his career, he did that in 15 games.

Right now JT is sitting around 1850 for his career, but has only played in 11 games. 

How nice would it be to see at NT Running Back sitting atop another record about the likes of Adrian Petterson, Barry Sanders, Rickey Williams, Marcus Allen, etc.???????????????????????????????????????????

That would be really great but let's worry about beating Tulsa. J-MO will get his carries and I dont think we need to worry about that.

Edited by untStein

That would be really great but let's worry about beating Tulsa. J-MO will get his carries and I dont think we need to worry about that.

I completly agree that winning is more important, but IF and only IF Cobbs got more of the carries last Saturday night to he they could get him a record, I would like to see the favor returned for Thomas once Cobbs has his record.

Now i dont think that was the reason that Cobbs got most of the carries, i think the reason he did was just becuase he was the leader of that team and has the hot hand most of the night.

I never complained about winning the game and I will never complain about wins. To me it seemed like you heard that their carries would be split and/or we would go with the guy with the hot hand and rotating the backs would give us an edge b/c one would be fresh.

Now Cobbs looked good the other night but he wasnt setting the world on fire with a hot hand. Also in the 4th quarter we had a guy that was fresh in Thomas but Cobbs continued to stay out there. I thought for sure after Cobbs returned that kickoff back that Thomas would come in. Whatever the circumstances are I think you always have to go with the one that gives you the best chance to win. Now I dont know who is better but I do know that if it wasnt for the Texas game last year J-Mo would have avg. 200 yards a game. I also know that J-Mo had like 10 runs of 40 yards or more. My point is when our offense wasnt going so great I dont understand why you dont have your biggest home run threat out there. I know this is a tired argument but I figured more people would be frustrated that out of 38 carries that J-Mo would only get 10.

After watching Sir Patrick Cobbs in a recent scrimmage when he returned a kick-off for a TD and even watching him the other night, is it possible that he rehabilitated so successful as to gain a half or full step of speed?

Jamario will get his carries this year and next year, he'll get most all of them.

I never thought DD would be able to get both of them in for many plays in his playbook, but let's all wait and see, stranger things have happened.

This will be a fun team to watch develop and grow up this Fall. I still have no idea how the 3'rd youngest football team in NCAA D1-A got out of the Boro' with that "W." That game was a another bonus for this emerging football program and a football program that is re-tooling right now.

Darn we need as close to a full house at Fouts Field for Tulsa as we can get because I think this Saturday our Mean Green football players need to be as impressed with their fan support as most of their fans have been with them as of late.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

JMo is going to get his piece of the pie - he has that coming and it is deserved. Patty looked really good, noone is talking about his receptions - he appears to have some great hands. Back to JMo tho, man there were a couple of plays where he looked like he was shot out of a rocket....unbeliveable talent.