UNT VS. M. TENN

UNT_playmaker

Im starting to worry about our "FIRST" game of the season. if you asked me last week about the MUTS game i would have been like UNT 30 MUTS 17. But now we kinda have some disadvantages from the LSU-Katrina debacle...., even the lines have us as underdogs, knowing our obstacles

1. Biggest----we havent played a first game of the season to determine our strentghs and WEAKNESSES. (ex. New players in the mix and what they can or cant on the field during game time). The first game helps to see what we need to work on and what to expect heading into the season.

2. QB---Meager is as fresh a starter as you can get, having a starting QB is very unpredictable and could cost you a costly game, ask OU. With our case we are playing a crucial first game of our season against a conference foe. the first of its kind in the division 1A this season.

3. SBC Conference game- we all know that the 25 game win streak that everyone envys in the nation is because we learned from our mistakes and good fortunes against OOC games, and our very good coach knew what to do to counter those mistakes and do better on any good fortunes during the SBC games..(Remember: Florida Atlantic)

4. Consistency- we have for the last couple of years depended on a consistent schedule that had us playing our OOC games in order, then SBC games, and end the season with the annual lets tear down the goalposts against a lowly SBC team, this season our schedule has some hidden surprises in OOC games...

5. First things first- we dont have a history of winning our first games under our coach dickey, its like it is etched in stone that our fans, players and coaches know that we lose our first game, its tradition.

We might win OOC games this year cause we will be better prepared for them, but we might lose one SBC game at the beginning of the season because we were not tested or even aware it would be our first game of the season

I believe UNT will pull this one out, but if we dont we know the reasons behind it....

GO GREEN

Keys to the game PC and JT.  All we need from Meager is to throw the ball about 15 times.  We don't need gaudy numbers just no picks.  Our offense will be fine, it's up to the defense to stop them. Bottom line

I don't think we will see double digit passes. I do agree that the game comes down to our backs. Ball control offense, win the time of posession as well as the turnover battle and I think we will have the upper hand.

I don't think we will see double digit passes.  I do agree that the game comes down to our backs.  Ball control offense, win the time of posession as well as the turnover battle and I think we will have the upper hand.

I respectfully disagree. I think MUTS will put nine in the box, which will slow down (not stop) our running game. However, nine in the box will set the stage for several big passing plays. After a few of them, MUTS will be forced to respect the pass a bit more, and PC & JT will bust some big running gains.

I respectfully disagree.  I think MUTS will put nine in the box, which will slow down (not stop) our running game.  However, nine in the box will set the stage for several big passing plays.  After a few of them, MUTS will be forced to respect the pass a bit more, and PC & JT will bust some big running gains.

Sounds good to me:

8 passes the first quarter

1 in the second

Total game passes: 9

UNT win: priceless.

There are some things that sexy MUTS can't buy. For conference winning streaks, there's DickeyCard.

Edited by greenminer

I respectfully disagree.  I think MUTS will put nine in the box, which will slow down (not stop) our running game.  However, nine in the box will set the stage for several big passing plays.  After a few of them, MUTS will be forced to respect the pass a bit more, and PC & JT will bust some big running gains.

Ohh I agree that the stage will be set for several big passing plays..........we see eye to eye there. History tells me they will dare us to pass and we will respond with a 'no thanks' and a draw.

9 in the box including an all-american LB for the USM team only slowed J-Mo to 100 yards. The MUTS don't have nearly the defense that USM put on the field at the NO Bowl last year. Remember that neither of our RB should tire out either as J-Mo did at the NO Bowl. When either J-Mo or Cobbs is on the field almost no defense has kept them under 100 yards, and if you look at the Belt I don't think they have been kept under 170. Jamario Cobbs will run for over 200 yards no problem. They key to this game will be our defense. If it turns into a shootout the MUTS will win.

Ohh I agree that the stage will be set for several big passing plays..........we see eye to eye there.  History tells me they will dare us to pass and we will respond with a 'no thanks' and a draw.

I guess you haven't watched the last couple of games with MTSU then.

Hall threw for 285 yards and one TD last year vs MTSU.

The year before we beat them deep twice for TDs.

So we have used and beat them with the passing game the past couple of meetings. Question is, will we do it this year? In my opinion, we have to have a couple of big plays from the passing game to beat them.

• Upvote 1

Ohh I agree that the stage will be set for several big passing plays..........we see eye to eye there.  History tells me they will dare us to pass and we will respond with a 'no thanks' and a draw.

Not exactly. Passing has been the MUTS downfall in our last two games.

In '03 Two long TD passes (63 & 47 yds) to Nwigwe were keys. Last year Hall passed for 285 yards, Quinn had 153 & a TD receiving.

user posted image

• Downvote 1

Not exactly. Passing has been the MUTS downfall in our last two games.

In '03 Two long TD passes (63 & 47 yds) to Nwigwe were keys. Last year Hall passed for 285 yards, Quinn had 153 & a TD receiving.

user posted image

To both Rob and MG61 - I would agree with the both of you if Hall was still here. My postings go off of how I think DD will handle a young and inexperienced QB. Do I think he should play that conservative? NO Do I think he will? YES.

I hope you guys are right because (as Rob said), we are going to have to have a big passing play here or there to win this game. IMO one of our 2 QB's throws a better long ball, perhaps DD will utilize his arm.

NT All American wide receiver candidate Johnny "the Mighty" Quinn could be the main key to our offense's overall performance against MT. Sorry, I don't think we are playing a Big 12 school in the MUTS this Saturday night, and if Super Jamario can have the kind of games he had against 2 Big 12 schools last year, I think both he and Patrick Cobbs can both have potentially super games against the Blue Radas' .

Time to see which of the 2 QB's can get the ball downfield to the best receiver I've seen in Mean Green Country for 30 plus years. A few exotic plays, ie, the halfback pass would not be a bad thing to add to the offensive plays repertoire for this Saturday night, too. Should be a fun game for college football fans to watch.

I don't think we do the panic thing if we lose against MUTS, though, because their team has shown a great propensity to lose 1 or 2 SBC games per year they should not lose. I see at least 2 other teams in the SBC who could more than give the MUTS tight games and one of those is Troy U who the B. Raiders have to play at the Trojans home stadium.

A COMMON PACT FOR ALL MEAN GREEN FANS EVERYWHERE: We "ARE" Mean Green fans and we will not jump off the MG bandwagon "IF" we lose against the MUTS; yet we will support this team at Fouts Field vs the Golden Hurrricane of TU, Sept. 17'th. rolleyes.gif

For the handful who might entertain the idea of giving up over "one" potential loss in Dollywood Country: Do you like where we are now compared to where we were 6 years ago with this Mean Green football program? smile.gif

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

I would open the game with a fake to PC/JT and a long pass over the middle to Zach Muzzy. If it works, it would be six and if it doesn't work, it would still loosen up the defense for the running game.

The reason I chose Muzzy is he will be the most overlooked player on the field. They will cover both Joel Nwigwe and JQ, as well as PC/JT. They would not expect a pass, especially to Zach "The Secret Weapon" Muzzy.

If he beats his man, which he will do, it's a stroll to the endzone.

The key is stopping them on their first 2 possessions. If we stop them twice, with our inexperienced defense then, not only, will they begin to question themselves, but our D will gain confidence.

• Upvote 1

I think there is a real good chance we lose this game. Not because we're not a better team than MTSU, but simply because we have such a young team with zero experience and time on the field in a game.

On the flip side, we have a distinct advantage - We get to see MTSU tape, and they have to play us blind. IF our team is ready and doesn't take a quarter to get their legs underneath them, this clould be what gives us our best chance to win.

Win or Lose, I think we can still take care of business this season against the rest of the 'Belt, and I agree with those who say MTSU will probably lose 2 games in the 'Belt.

...it's going to be a fun season no matter what happens though... If these young guys perform well, even if we don't 5-peat this year, we've got a good young team who will only get better.

Edited by yyz28
  • Upvote 1

Well boys it is Football time ...... it is time for:

1. The Waaaaaaaa-bulance to show up for all the doom sayers & Whiners.

2. All those who can coach better on Sunday Morning than Saturday night.

3. All those who predict a mediocure season.

4. All those who still say MTSU and Troy are going to beat UNT.

5. All those who want to fire Coach DD after the first 4 games (again).

6. All the inside information everyone knows about trouble on the team.

7. All those who love the smell of freshly cut grass at Fouts Field.

My predictions for this season:

1. Another SBC championship.

2. Confidence in the UNT Coaching staff to pull #1 off.

3. With 9 in the box, again, Thomas and Cobb still put up BIG numbers.

If you do not think that we can beat MTSU, Troy and the other Belt teams then leave the coaching to those who have the CONFIDENCE to win these games.

Like the majority of you I feel confident that Coach DD and his staff can beat all the SBC teams and 2/3 remaining OOC games.....we may have trouble with K-State .... to me that is a toss up.

BELIEVE

• Downvote 1

We win. This is still SBC play, guys. We've got the best players in the league. DD's gameplan works on equal or lessor opponents. MTSU has tons of experience returning, which gives them a chance in the early going, but they'll have to jump out to a big lead or our running game will wear them out--same as always.

• Upvote 1

Will we have a Wright or Weatherford? That in my opinion will help determine our fate on Saturday.

After watching UM/FSU last night I was impressed with Wright and equally unimpressed with Weatherford. If we lose it will be because the mtsu offense has caught a beat after week 1. However, if Meager can play even inbetween Wright and Weatherford we can steal this win in the boro. Our weapons in the backfield will see to that.

I was amazed by the TCU defensive turnaround. If they can have that kind of turnaround I am confident in our Green. How we gelled as '04 wore on gives me hope that a new defensive attitude will prevail.

Keys to the win:

1. A stronger D

2. Ball control

3. Non-super conservative gameplan for Meager (this scares me most)

4. Decent performance by our new QB (before last night I didn't think it was possible with a new QB, but I was impressed with Miami's future.

This is new proving ground for Dickey. He has to get his team up without the usual September warm up. At a minimum it is going to be a hell of a fascinating game to watch - pure drama on the field, with the players and with the coaches.

This is going to be FUN!

North Texas 35

MTSU 24

• Upvote 1

I believe the most important aspect of this game is our O-Line. If they play well we should win. Look what happened to OU with an inexperienced O-Line and QB even though they still had Peterson.

I think this is the make or break aspect of the game.

From what I could tell on Saturday night, our D is much improved and should be able to get some push up front. If your inexperienced O-line can give Meager a chance to make some plays and he capitalizes, we could be in trouble. Otherwise, I feel pretty good about this game.

I think this is the make or break aspect of the game. 

From what I could tell on Saturday night, our D is much improved and should be able to get some push up front.  If your inexperienced O-line can give Meager a chance to make some plays and he capitalizes, we could be in trouble.  Otherwise, I feel pretty good about this game.

RedBeardBlueRaider, our offensive line is "NOT" inexperienced. laugh.gif What in the wide world of sports are you reading that says we are? rolleyes.gif

OK, one more time, here is the NT offensive line:

** Dylan Lineberry, 6-3/310, both an Outland and Lombardy trophy nominee; you may want to check out last years NT/MT game video and you will see NT's offensive line's version of Moses opening the Red Sea for Super Jamario to run thru; or should I have said, uh, Blue Sea? smile.gif

** Jason May, 6-4,/300, has All Sun Belt Conference written all over him. Was a key offensive lineman the year Patrick Cobbs became the national all purpose running back leader. He redshirted last year to take care of a personal situation.

** Jeremy Brown, 6-6/300 of Tecumseh, Oklahoma, was named by OUFans.comas the 27'th best player in the state of Oklahoma, while Joe Dickenson's Fab50 listed Brown as the 26'th best player in the Sooner state. If Brown had played HS in Texas, he probably would have made a few state top 100 lists. Came on strong at the end of last Fall as he developed Mono early last football season but graded out very high the last few games of last year.

Chad Rose, 6-3/290, a RS frosh who made the Waco Tribune's Super Centex Team of elite Texas HS football players is the "one" inexperienced player on this Mean Green offensive line. He will not be a liability, though, because he had a very impressive Spring football experience.

This offensive line will be a more than formidable force in SBC play this year, just as they were last year.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

RedBeardBlueRaider, our offensive line is "NOT" inexperienced. laugh.gif  What in the wide world of sports are you reading that says we are? rolleyes.gif 

** Dylan Lineberry, 6-3/310,  both an Outland and Lombardy trophy nominee; you may want to check out last years NT/MT game video and you will see NT's offensive line's version of Moses opening the Red Sea for Super Jamario to run thru;  or should I have said, uh, Blue Sea? smile.gif   

** Jason May, 6-4,/300,  has All Sun Belt Conference written all over him.  Was a key offensive lineman the year Patrick Cobbs became the national all purpose running back leader.  He redshirted last year to take care of a personal situation.

** Jeremy Brown, 6-6/300  of Tecumseh, Oklahoma, was named by OUFans.comas the 27'th best player in the state of Oklahoma, while Joe Dickenson's Fab50 listed Brown as the 26'th best player in the Sooner state.  If Brown had played HS in Texas, he probably would have made a few state top 100 lists.  Came on strong at the end of last Fall as he developed Mono early last football season but graded out very high the last few games of last year. 

Chad Rose, 6-3/290, a RS frosh who made the Waco Tribune's Super Centex Team of elite Texas HS football players is the "one" inexperienced player on this Mean Green offensive line.  He will not be a liability, though, because he had a very impressive Spring football experience.

This offensive line will be a more than formidable force in SBC play this year, just as they were last year.

How do you argue with that?

PMG has his facts in order! Our offense will be just fine. For all the worries about this season, just remember this. After 4 Confrence championships and 4 Bowl berths, we are recruiting a much higher caliber of player than we were 4 years ago. Remember 4 years ago when we got the first shot at New Orleans? We were so excited! We new then that win or lose, being able to tell recruits that we were the defending confrence champion and had just played in a bowl game was going to help a ton. Now multiply that by 4.

We are going to be just fine this year. We got some good kids!

• Upvote 1

I will predict we will win by our largest margin ever against MTSU.

I understand that we have a ? at QB, but the RB and receivers are the best we have ever had.

The LB core is better than last year.

MTSU is not a very consistant team.

They did not do well in the opener. (Only 157 total yards against a weak Alabama team.

Mental edge goes to UNT

I say UNT wins big.

• Upvote 1

NT by 14.

Now, we know what happened with the OU game. We know that the QB royally kicked the dog, but we also know that OU had a relatively new O-line. In our case, the QB is new, but the only new guy on the O-Line is the center. Now I'm not saying that's not important, but it won't kill the offense.

On the other side of the ball, the D-line is all new, but they've had to go toe-to-toe with an experienced O-line and 2 great RB's. If that's not as good as actual game time, I don't know what is. LBs are strong, and the secondary has plenty of people who are capable of a lot of great things.

RedBeardBlueRaider, our offensive line is "NOT" inexperienced. laugh.gif  What in the wide world of sports are you reading that says we are? rolleyes.gif 

** Dylan Lineberry, 6-3/310,  both an Outland and Lombardy trophy nominee; you may want to check out last years NT/MT game video and you will see NT's offensive line's version of Moses opening the Red Sea for Super Jamario to run thru;  or should I have said, uh, Blue Sea? smile.gif   

** Jason May, 6-4,/300,  has All Sun Belt Conference written all over him.  Was a key offensive lineman the year Patrick Cobbs became the national all purpose running back leader.  He redshirted last year to take care of a personal situation.

** Jeremy Brown, 6-6/300  of Tecumseh, Oklahoma, was named by OUFans.comas the 27'th best player in the state of Oklahoma, while Joe Dickenson's Fab50 listed Brown as the 26'th best player in the Sooner state.  If Brown had played HS in Texas, he probably would have made a few state top 100 lists.  Came on strong at the end of last Fall as he developed Mono early last football season but graded out very high the last few games of last year. 

Chad Rose, 6-3/290, a RS frosh who made the Waco Tribune's Super Centex Team of elite Texas HS football players is the "one" inexperienced player on this Mean Green offensive line.  He will not be a liability, though, because he had a very impressive Spring football experience.

So your line won't have any problems keeping us out of the backfield then? None whatsoever? OK thanks for the reply.

• Downvote 1