DRC Practice Briefs: Gilmore, Meager

NT80

Tight end gets work at defensive end

09:58 PM CDT on Tuesday, August 16, 2005

By BRETT VITO / Denton Record-Chronicle

DENTON – Freshman Eddrick Gilmore moved from tight end to defensive end during practice Tuesday. Coach Darrell Dickey said he plans on leaving Gilmore at defensive end throughout fall practice but may use him at tight end in certain situations. UNT lost both of its starting defensive ends after last season and has been without projected starter Jeremiah Chapman for most of fall practice. The sophomore is expected to return in the next few days.

Briefly ...

Quarterback Daniel Meager sat out practice Tuesday with a pulled hamstring. The redshirt freshman left practice Monday after hitting his head on the ground before returning for noncontact drills. He then pulled his hamstring while running at the end of practice. Meager began fall practice atop UNT's depth chart.

..................................................................................................

Question for you medical types or trainers out there: Are there different degrees of hamstring pulls and how serious (time to recover) is this for a QB or RB?

Briefly ...

Quarterback Daniel Meager sat out practice Tuesday with a pulled hamstring. The redshirt freshman left practice Monday after hitting his head on the ground before returning for noncontact drills. He then pulled his hamstring while running at the end of practice. Meager began fall practice atop UNT's depth chart.

Oh boy is this going to draw some replies. I understand that a lot of people are quick to the defense of Meager and his supposed string of bad luck, but it HAS to be a concern.

Oh boy is this going to draw some replies.  I understand that a lot of people are quick to the defense of Meager and his supposed string of bad luck, but it HAS to be a concern.

Injuries are part of the game, but durability in this situation is a huge concern. The backup QB, whoever that may be, will need just as many reps as Meager is getting.

Injuries are part of the game, but durability in this situation is a huge concern. The backup QB, whoever that may be, will need just as many reps as Meager is getting.

Oh my. Could we possibly start the season with a true freshman under center? Is Ieans still in the mix? As bad as zero experience is there's gotta be some benefit a RS freshman has over a true freshman at such a key position. On top of all that, our O-line is undersized. They all better have speed and excellent technique.

Keith

Edited by keith

You know, Cobbs got hurt last season (2 injuries as I recall) and he lost a season, we had a 2-a-day Fall practice-induced injury with Scott Hall 3 years ago who would lose an entire season that left an opening for a inexperienced RS frosh to take over--and engineer our team to a winning bowl game that year. Yet Hall was also hurt his freshmen year when we went to a bowl game, but I never heard the injury bugaboo title given to either. Booger Kennedy did not have the senior year we thought he would have because he had nagging inuries all last season that prevented that. No "Mr. Injury" title given to Booger. huh.gif

The young RS freshman QB Dan Meager has a few injuries here and there and he is a marked man. I don't get it with the Mean Green Nation sometimes; I think if our RS frosh were to get a razor cut shaving today some of you would suggest he just hang it up. rolleyes.gif

Football? You ever play it? It usually means injuries at some point, some major and some minor. Until someone says any of our Mean Green players have the dreaded "season-ending injury" these guys just have to go with what they've been dealt and go with it. Even Super Jamario had a hammy' problem last season and sat out an entire game because of it. Its just what happens if you play the game no matter what level you play it.

NOW....LET'S CHANGE TO A SUBJECT WE DO HAVE SOME SEMBLANCE OF CONTROL OVER! HOW AOBUT.................A NEW FOOTBALL STADIUM! blink.gif

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

You know, Cobbs got hurt last season (2 injuries as I recall) and he lost a season, we had a 2-a-day Fall practice-induced injury with Scott Hall 3 years ago who would lose an entire season that left an opening for a inexperienced RS frosh to take over--and engineer our team to a winning bowl game that year. Yet Hall was also hurt his freshmen year when we went to a bowl game,  but I never heard the injury bugaboo title given to either.  Booger Kennedy did not have the senior year we thought he would have because he had nagging inuries all last season that prevented that.  No  "Mr. Injury"  title given to Booger. huh.gif

The young RS freshman QB Dan Meager has a few injuries here and there and he is a marked man.  I don't get it with the Mean Green Nation sometimes; I think if our RS frosh were to get a razor cut shaving today some of you would suggest he just hang it up. rolleyes.gif

Football? You ever play it?  It usually means injuries at some point, some major and some minor.  Until someone says any of our Mean Green players have the dreaded "season-ending injury"  these guys just have to go with what they've been dealt and go with it.  Even Super Jamario had a hammy' problem last season and sat out an entire game because of it.  Its just what happens if you play the game no matter what level you play it.

NOW....LET'S CHANGE TO A SUBJECT WE DO HAVE SOME SEMBLANCE OF CONTROL OVER!  HOW AOBUT.................A NEW FOOTBALL STADIUM! blink.gif

GMG!

Plumm I appreciate your defending the kid, and you are right we have no control over these things, but we're not talking just one or two injuries. He came in to NT with several injuries in high school, then hurts a shoulder which keeps him out of the spring, then hurts his head, THEN hurts his hamstring. If you're not worried about his durability then you must at least be concerned about the lack of continuous reps at the position.

There are a lot of players out there with nagging injuries (I observed Jamario on the sideline bicycle almost as much as he was out on the field last year because of his hamstring) , but we don't sound the alarm about them. The difference being that the QB position requires that a new guy get as many "reps" as possible while getting ready.

Issac Thomas, Brandon Monroe,and J. Chapman to name a few have been out with nagging injuries and we haven't been sounding the "durability" alarm with them....nor have we been implying that any of them are sissy's etc.

Plumm I appreciate your defending the kid, and you are right we have no control over these things, but we're not talking just one or two injuries.  He came in to NT with several injuries in high school, then hurts a shoulder which keeps him out of the spring, then hurts his head, THEN hurts his hamstring.  If you're not worried about his durability then you must at least be concerned about the lack of continuous reps at the position.

Emmitt, I just feel like this particular discussion has turned into a little ol' ladies quilting bee social concerning Meager, that's all. Certainly Meager has had some bad luck with some nagging injuries, but he went thru all last Fall as a true freshman (working out every day) without any injuries that some seem to have forgotten about BUT.......... the part about his HS career that got my undivided attention came from a link Harry posted and that is how he came back from a HS injury at a Texas 5A HS and then led his team into the Texas UIL state play-offs. That showed some character about this young man IMO.

Many of us once saw a QB who had had 5 major knee surgeries take his team to a Super Bowl and led his team in beating the Baltimore Cots in that game back in 1969 (I think that was the year that Namath guaranteed that NY Jets win).

If we start seeing QB Dan Meager miss football games because of injuries then I would be more concerned, but I don't think we should until then. None of us really know how many reps anyone is getting out at the Mean Green Athletic Village. Dickey will probably let all of us know if there is a really serious problem with any of our players, but all we do on this board is speculate on things we think are happening out there.

How many concussions (which Meager did not have the other day BTW) did Troy Aikman have in his Dallas Cowboy's career and he just kept coming back like that battery-operated rabbit?

I hope for Meager and all of us most concerned (and thats the entire MG Nation) that he overcomes this string of nagging injuries and becomes the QB that made about 1/4'th of NCAA D-A show an interest in him his senior year at Richardson Pearce HS. I think we would all like such a happy ending to this story in Mean Green Country. I bet the entire Meager family would too. smile.gif

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

There are a lot of players out there with nagging injuries (I observed Jamario on the sideline bicycle almost as much as he was out on the field last year because of his hamstring) , but we don't sound the alarm about them. The difference being that the QB position requires that a new guy get as many "reps" as possible while getting ready.

Issac Thomas, Brandon Monroe,and J. Chapman to name a few have been out with nagging injuries and we haven't been sounding the "durability" alarm with them....nor have we been implying that any of them are sissy's etc.

A tweak to his shoulder, concussion, pulled hamstring, etc. after surgery for spring injury, and we haven't been through the first week in pads and no scrimmages. Anyone not concerned that this QB can hold up to a season of D-1 FB is really naive.

A tweak to his shoulder, concussion, pulled hamstring, etc. after surgery for spring injury, and we haven't been through the first week in pads and no scrimmages. Anyone not concerned that this QB can hold up to a season of D-1 FB is really naive.

Meager held up all last Fall as a true freshman w/o any injuries. I think we should give the kid some credit when its due. I am not a prophet so I don't know of any of our players that will hold up a full season without injuries. I do know we have lost other players for entire seasons with injuries and those players never received this much pre-season "can't stay healthy" hype. Once again, they lost full seasons to injury.

Lets all worry that gas may go up to $3.00 a gallon, now that worries the hell outta' me and (unfortunately) we have no control over that, either. blink.gif

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Meager held up all last Fall as a true freshman w/o any injuries.  I think we should give the kid some credit when its due.  I am not a prophet so I don't know of any of our players that will hold up a full season without injuries.  I do know we have lost other players for entire seasons with injuries and those players never received this much pre-season "can't stay healthy" hype.  Once again, they lost full seasons to injury.

Lets all worry that gas may go up to $3.00 a gallon, now that worries the hell outta' me and (unfortunately) we have no control over that, either.  blink.gif 

GMG!

PLUMM, I live @ Washington DC so, believe me, I'm extremely worried about the cost of gas- man, living here is way too expensive, especially when you factor in flights to Denton to catch my "beloved" Mean Green beat up on teams!!! biggrin.gif

test

ok--

#1 Which university has more players in the NFL hall of fame TxTech or North Texas? ________

#2 Which of following has the most players in the NFL hall of fame, Baylor, A&M or North Texas? __________

#3 Which university did NOT play football during WWII, TxA&M or North Texas?

#4 How many universities in the Big XII have larger enrollment than North Texas? _____

#5 What was the the largest college in Texas when North Texas was founded? _______

#6 Name all colleges in Texas that were a member of a conference whose representative won the NCAA basketball championship (Division I). _______

Answers will appear later.

Meager held up all last Fall as a true freshman w/o any injuries.  I think we should give the kid some credit when its due.  I am not a prophet so I don't know of any of our players that will hold up a full season without injuries.  I do know we have lost other players for entire seasons with injuries and those players never received this much pre-season "can't stay healthy" hype.  Once again, they lost full seasons to injury.

Yeah, I don't see why anybody would be worried about the durability of a QB who's been injured at every competition level since junior high. We need to give him credit for surviving one season where he wasn't a starter, played in 0 games, and received a fraction of the reps in practice?

He missed way too much of the spring because he was injured. As soon as he comes back, he starts getting banged up again. Any scout in football's gonna look at this kid and write down "injury-prone." That label might be unfair, but our fears are not. Meager hasn't shown the ability to make it through PRACTICE when taking the majority of reps.

No, injuries are not something we have any control over, and sometimes people just get hurt or are unlucky, but the concerns here are legitimate, ESPECIALLY since they're regarding an inexperienced QB who needs all the reps he can get. The advantage of his pedigree is fading every time he gets jostled around in practice. Heck, Meager might make it the next three years without even getting a hangnail, but I wouldn't bet on it. I don't like the idea that my team will have to rely on a question mark. Unfortunately, that's all we have at the position this year, but every day Meager misses a practice is a day that his particular question mark gets bigger.

ok--

#1  Which university has more players in the NFL hall of fame TxTech or North Texas?  ________

#2  Which of following has the most players in the NFL hall of fame, Baylor, A&M or North Texas? __________

#3  Which university did NOT play football during WWII, TxA&M or North Texas?

#4  How many universities in the Big XII have  larger enrollment than North Texas? _____

#5  What was the the largest college in Texas when North Texas was founded? _______

#6 Name all colleges in Texas  that were a member of a conference whose representative won the NCAA basketball championship (Division I). _______

Answers will appear later.

#1 North Texas

#2 North Texas

#3 Texas A&M

#4 2

#5 ???

#6 UTEP, North Texas, ???

#1 North Texas

#2 North Texas

#3 Texas A&M

#4 2

#5 ???

#6 UTEP, North Texas, ???

1---yes,

2---yes (you would think the school with the large military corps would have cancelled)

3---Baylor, North Texas and A&M each have one. [singletary, Joe Greene and Yale Lary] UT has two players-[Earl Campbell and Bobby Layne, plus Tom Landry and Tex Schram], UTEP- Don Maynard, TCU- Bob Lily and Sammy Baugh,

4---yes, UT and A&M

5---Sam Houston State

6---yes , UTEP won and Cincinnatii of the MVC won in 1962, 1963 while a member with North Texas. The SWC had a near miss when Arkansas won after leaving the SWC, (Basketball in SEC, and widespread and constant cheating in the SWC were reasons they chose to leave) Houston made the final four several times but lost them all.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

Lets all worry that gas may go up to $3.00 a gallon, now that worries the hell outta' me and (unfortunately) we have no control over that, either.  blink.gif 

GMG!

And exactly how many big hits did he take as the third string last year? Plumm I know that the "injury prone" tag is unfair but we're talking about a need position. If we don't have a quarterback with some experience in this offense teams will put 8,9, maybe even 10 in the box on every single play and take their chances...and Dickey will run right at them. You know it as well as I do. We are less than three weeks from LSU then we go on the road for a conference game. Even if you held him out of the LSU game you'd be throwing him into a possible 'must win' game on the road in Smurfboro.

Brandon Monroe is a wussy, too...!!! biggrin.giftongue.gifsmile.gif

I am taking great offense to the name calling.  According to the rules of this board name calling is supposed to be unacceptable and these posts deleted.

No offense meant here. I was just relating back to another one of my posts on Meager. I was truly just kidding here, if you were really offended...

No offense meant here.  I was just relating back to another one of my posts on Meager.  I was truly just kidding here, if you were really offended...

I was truly offended. Sometimes people on this board forget these are just young people/kids. Calling them names doesn't make the situation or their injuries better faster. Also, some of the players along with their parents read this site. If you have kids, stop and think how you would feel as a parents if strangers were calling your kids wussies and sissies.