NT gets no votes in Coaches Poll

NT80

2005 Top 25 Coaches' Poll sad.gif

Coaches' Top 25 College Football Poll

The USA TODAY Top 25 college football coaches' poll, with number of first-place votes and last year's record in parentheses, total points and last year's final ranking:

College Football Coaches' Top 25

Team Record Points Prev

1. USC (60) 13-0 1,547 1

2. TEXAS (2) 11-1 1,405 4

3. TENNESSEE 10-3 1,259 15

4. MICHIGAN 9-3 1,242 12

5. OKLAHOMA 12-1 1,223 3

6. LSU 9-3 1,109 16

7. VIRGINIA TECH 10-3 1,090 10

8. MIAMI FL 9-3 1,080 11

9. OHIO ST 8-4 1,033 19

10. IOWA 10-2 1,014 8

11. FLORIDA 7-5 910 25

12. FLORIDA ST 9-3 879 14

13. GEORGIA 10-2 838 6

14. LOUISVILLE 11-1 758 7

15. AUBURN 13-0 723 2

16. PURDUE 7-5 616 --

17. TEXAS A&M 7-5 366 --

18. ARIZONA ST 9-3 304 20

19. BOISE ST 11-1 303 13

20. CALIFORNIA 10-2 293 9

21. TEXAS TECH 8-4 247 17

22. BOSTON COLLEGE 9-3 237 21

23. VIRGINIA 8-4 210 23

24. ALABAMA 6-6 194 --

25. PITTSBURGH 8-4 193 --

Others Receiving Votes:

FRESNO ST 188, OREGON 145, UTAH 103, GEORGIA TECH 88, WISCONSIN 79, NC STATE 69, BOWLING GREEN 63, PENN ST 44, COLORADO 40, MINNESOTA 34, UCLA 24, UTEP 22, NEBRASKA 21, KANSAS ST 20, SOUTH CAROLINA 16, NOTRE DAME 13, WEST VIRGINIA 12, WYOMING 12, CLEMSON 9, NEW MEXICO 9, ARIZONA 8, NORTHN ILLINOIS 8, SOUTHERN MISS 7, TOLEDO 7, WASHINGTON ST 7, IOWA ST 6, MICHIGAN ST 6, MEMPHIS 5, WASHINGTON 4, MIAMI OH 3, MARYLAND 2, UAB 1, DUKE 1, KANSAS 1

Edited by NT80

C'mon people! Enough of the green tinted glasses!

I can still remember as a child my dad giving me a little advice. "Son you can not demand respect, you earn it" I am willing to bet you all got the same advice. Can you really tell me that winning the Sunbelt each year and getting stomped out of conference should earn us much respect. There is much to be proud of with this program. The number one priority for your team should be winning conference and they certainly have not let us down there. Nevertheless, the Sunbelt is a bad football conference. It is a great place for us to be as we try to catch up in the facilities arms race of college football. But, between being in a horrible conference and getting rolled out of conference. I don't get too bent out of shape when we do not garner much respect from the national media. Honestly, I think we often get more than we deserve. Which is just fine by me.

The future looks good for the Mean Green but lets not put the cart before the horse.

---At this time of the season there are quite of few teams that just get an extremely low vote by someone (perhaps an alum) to just get their college listed. Don't take the list at the bottom very seriously especially those getting less than 5 votes. That lower list will shrink in size shortly as rankings become more realistic. The low ones now are often "political" or sentimental picks.

---Do you honestly think Duke (2-9, last place in ACC), Kansas (4-7, and last in Big-12 North), plus Maryland (9th in the ACC) belong on that list? Someone just wanted to see their name there.

--- I am slightly surprized Dickey (if he had a vote) did not put us at 25 on his ballot. No one would have complained at this point of the season. I guess he assumed the results of our first game will take care of that one way or the other.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

---At this time of the season there are quite of few teams that just get an extremely low vote by someone (perhaps an alum) to just get their college listed.  Don't take the list at the bottom very seriously especially those getting less than 5 votes.  That lower list will shrink in size shortly as rankings become more realistic. The low ones now are often "political" or sentimental picks.

That's the only way I can find an explanation for Duke of all teams getting a vote, I mean come on they finished 2-9 in the ACC, and it's only going to get harder for them this year.

The Sun Belt is the only 1-A conference that did not have any teams receiving votes. You can try to spin the Sagarin rankings till the cows come home but the bottom line is that the numbers that matter(attendance, bowls, polls, tv contracts, NCAA revenue, etc...)all show the Belt is the worst league in 1-A and while it may be making progress it is doing so at a glacial pace and we are not making up any ground on the other non-BCS conferences, let alone the BCS leagues. Just look at this poll: CUSA and MAC each have 4 teams receiving votes, MWC has 3, and even the WAC has 2 and Boise is in the top 25. We need to do whatever it takes to move to a better conference.

I don't think DD can vote for his own school. I think I read that somewhere.

---If that is true then it would be a disadvantage to be able to vote. Suppose than are 25 voing coaches.... A highly ranked team without a "voting " coach would get votes from 25 ballots while a team who has a voting coach could gather votes from only 24 ballots. That could make a diffrence.

---Surely a voting coach could place his team as high as the previous weeks standing in the poll to give his team an even break.

---If every coach voted then it wouldn't matter, but not every college has representation in voting, do they? It appears only 62 ballots were cast.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

cool.gifcool.gif .We need to do whatever it takes to move to a better conference.

Then several of us would need to go to Mockingbird Lane in University Park, set explosives and implode the entirety of the SMU campus AND I'm just not ready to go to prison for taking part in that kind of venture! rolleyes.gif

Seriously (and I was just jokin', SouthernMustang) I just don't see any options other than for NORTH TEXAS to just: Bloom where planted? wink.gif

PS: We still need to finish out those 200 acres of athletic venues at Eagle Point, continue to grow this entire athletic program and then see if we have other options because of that in a few years. Who knows, the 4 year old SBC may by that time be the cock of the walk, eh? cool.gif

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

The Sun Belt is the only 1-A conference that did not have any teams receiving votes.  You can try to spin the Sagarin rankings till the cows come home but the bottom line is that the numbers that matter(attendance, bowls, polls, tv contracts, NCAA revenue, etc...)all show the Belt is the worst league in 1-A and while it may be making progress it is doing so at a glacial pace and we are not making up any ground on the other non-BCS conferences, let alone the BCS leagues.  Just look at this poll: CUSA and MAC each have 4 teams receiving votes, MWC has 3, and even the WAC has 2 and Boise is in the top 25.  We need to do whatever it takes to move to a better conference.

Agree. It's time to take another step. We can start with some OOC wins this year and getting the Stadium Fund rolling!

Edited by NT80

I would bet if we make the New Orleans bowl Dickey will vote for us again.  Right now though, until we prove it, we do not deserve to voted up there.

Ok, one more more time - coaches cannot vote for their own team. Another Sun Belt coach (I think Andy Mack has a vote as does Ricky Bustle) will probably vote for us because it makes their win/loss to us mean more for their strength of schedule - and also because what is good for North Texas is good for the Belt - which in turn is good for their schools in a roundabout way. But I see these claims every year that Dickey is the one guy votnig for us and that is just not possible from everything that I have read. We will see this year for sure as the votes will be made public for the first time in the history of the Coach's poll.