NCAA Bans Indian Mascots during postseason

NT80

NCAA Bans Indian Mascots During Postseason

INDIANAPOLIS - The NCAA banned the use of American Indian mascots by sports teams during its postseason tournaments, but will not prohibit them otherwise. The NCAA's executive committee decided this week the organization did not have the authority to bar Indian mascots by individual schools, committee chairman Walter Harrison said Friday.

Nicknames or mascots deemed "hostile or abusive" would not be allowed by teams on their uniforms or other clothing beginning with any NCAA tournament after Feb. 1, said Harrison, the University of Hartford's president.

"What each institution decides to do is really its own business" outside NCAA championship events, he said.

Guidelines were not immediately available on which logos and nicknames would be considered "hostile or abusive."

The NCAA two years ago recommended that schools determine for themselves whether the Indian depictions were offensive.

Among the schools to change nicknames in recent years over such concerns were St. John's (from Redmen to Red Storm) and Marquette (from Warriors to Golden Eagles).

The NCAA plans to ban schools using Indian nicknames from hosting postseason events. Harrison said schools with such mascots that have already been selected as tournament sites would be asked to cover any offensive logos.

Such logos also would be prohibited at postseason games on cheerleader and band uniforms starting in 2008.

NCAA Bans Indian Mascots During Postseason

INDIANAPOLIS - The    NCAA banned the use of American Indian mascots by sports teams during its postseason tournaments, but will not prohibit them otherwise. The NCAA's executive committee decided this week the organization did not have the authority to bar Indian mascots by individual schools, committee chairman Walter Harrison said Friday.

Nicknames or mascots deemed "hostile or abusive" would not be allowed by teams on their uniforms or other clothing beginning with any NCAA tournament after Feb. 1, said Harrison, the University of Hartford's president.

"What each institution decides to do is really its own business" outside NCAA championship events, he said.

Guidelines were not immediately available on which logos and nicknames would be considered "hostile or abusive."

The NCAA two years ago recommended that schools determine for themselves whether the Indian depictions were offensive.

Among the schools to change nicknames in recent years over such concerns were St. John's (from Redmen to Red Storm) and Marquette (from Warriors to Golden Eagles).

The NCAA plans to ban schools using Indian nicknames from hosting postseason events. Harrison said schools with such mascots that have already been selected as tournament sites would be asked to cover any offensive logos.

Such logos also would be prohibited at postseason games on cheerleader and band uniforms starting in 2008.

What a sad testimonial to our overly "politically correct" society. Next thing you know, not only will schools not be able to use American Indian nicknames of any kind, even schools with any type of "hostile or abusive" names could be in trouble. Hell, even the 101st Airborne will have to change their name from the "Screaming Eagles" to the "pecking birds". ph34r.gif

So I guess they are going to make Florida State (Seminoles -- offends Native Americans), Duke (Blue Devils -- promotes Satanic Worship) and U of North Carolina (Tar Heels -- Term used to talk about Slaves in the Carolina's)

Florida State to Challenge Ban on Mascots

By MICHAEL MAROT, AP Sports Writer

INDIANAPOLIS - Fed up with what it considers "hostile" and "abusive" American Indian nicknames, the NCAA announced Friday it would shut those words and images out of postseason tournaments, a move that left some school officials angry and threatening legal action.

Starting in February, any school with a nickname or logo considered racially or ethnically "hostile" or "abusive" by the NCAA would be prohibited from using them in postseason events. Mascots will not be allowed to perform at tournament games, and band members and cheerleaders will also be barred from using American Indians on their uniforms beginning in 2008.

Major college football teams are not subject to the ban because there is no official NCAA tournament.

Affected schools were quick to complain, and Florida State — home of the Seminoles — threatened legal action.

"That the NCAA would now label our close bond with the Seminole people as culturally 'hostile and abusive' is both outrageous and insulting," Florida State president T.K. Wetherell said in a statement.

"I intend to pursue all legal avenues to ensure that this unacceptable decision is overturned, and that this university will forever be associated with the 'unconquered' spirit of the Seminole Tribe of Florida," he added.

The committee also recommended that schools follow the examples of Wisconsin and Iowa by refusing to schedule contests against schools that use American Indian nicknames.

While NCAA officials admit they still can't force schools to change nicknames or logos, they are making a statement they believe is long overdue. Eighteen mascots, including Florida State's Seminole and Illinois' Illini, were on the list of offenders.

Those schools will not be permitted to host future NCAA tournament games, and if events have already been awarded to those sites, the school must cover any logos or nicknames that appear.

"Certainly some things remain to be answered from today, and one of those things is the definition of what is 'hostile or abusive,'" said Tom Hardy, a spokesman at Illinois.

The NCAA did not give a clear answer on that.

President Myles Brand noted that some schools using the Warrior nickname will not face sanctions because they do not use Indian symbols. One school, North Carolina-Pembroke — which uses the nickname Braves — will also be exempted because Brand said the school has historically had a high percentage of students, more than 20 percent, who are American Indians.

"We believe hostile or abusive nicknames are troubling to us and it can't continue," committee chairman Walter Harrison said. "We're trying to send a message, very strongly, saying that these mascots are not appropriate for NCAA championships."

The decision, however, quickly evoked passions and complaints from both sides.

At Florida State, Wetherell said the NCAA was trying to embarrass the school for using its nickname, even though the Seminole Tribe of Florida has given the university permission to continue using it.

"Other Seminole tribes are not supportive," said Charlotte Westerhaus, the NCAA vice president for diversity and inclusion.

Supporters also were unhappy.

Vernon Bellecourt, president of the National Coalition on Racism in Sports and Media and a member of the Anishinabe-Ojibwe Nation in Minnesota, approved of the ban but had hoped the NCAA would take even stronger action.

"We're not so happy about the fact that they didn't make the decision to ban the use of Indian team names and mascots," he said.

Harrison, president at the University of Hartford, said the executive committee does not have the authority to do that, and schools can still appeal their inclusion on the list.

Brand and Harrison said they hoped school officials would pursue policy changes through the NCAA first, before going to court.

"I suspect that some of those would like to having a ruling on that," Brand said. "But unless there is a change before Feb. 1, they will have to abide by it."

Two years ago, the NCAA recommended schools determine for themselves whether Indian depictions were offensive.

Among the schools to change nicknames in recent years were St. John's (from Redmen to Red Storm) and Marquette (from Warriors to Golden Eagles).

But that hasn't changed opinions on either side.

"They're not willing to give up this money," Bellecourt said, referring to merchandising revenue. "We would hope that it (the decision) was the handwriting on the wall that would urge them to drop these team names and mascots."

There are a lot of fanatic bird lovers out there......... Rice and North Texas may be in trouble because they think our mascots (Scrappy & the Rice owl) is insulting to birds.

Personally those NFL Vikings insult me and my heritage....... my anscesters never put those silly horns on their helmets when they were pillaging, axeing, and stealing from folks. ----LOL.

---we must be politically and socially correct---

Interesting isn't it that a bunch of university presidents know better than Native Americans as to what is offensive to Native Americans who have endorsed nicknames used by various schools.

Truth is this deal means zip.

It doesn't apply to bowl games, the NIT and WNIT.

Teams can still play they just won't have their nickname announced and won't be able to use the nickname or an Indian type logo on their uniforms in NCAA championship competition.

Hmmm.....is "Mean" Green considered hostile? What a joke. These people need to find something better to do with their lives.

Keith

Hmmm.....is "Mean" Green considered hostile?  What a joke.  These people need to find something better to do with their lives.

Keith

My own Texas pioneer ancestory (as a few of you are aware) were all but slaughtered by about 500 Commanches and Kiowas near present day Mexia, Texas, on May 19, 1836, and I suppose I should be as anti-Indian as anyone but I'm not; after all, it is 2005 so I think most of the family has gotten over that episode by now.

If I had any Indian blood in me (and I don't) I think I would almost be pissed over this dire need by some of our nation's most politically correct groups to get rid of their names from U.S. college and universities athletic teams. We cannot change history, and I wish some of these gol' darn liberal do-gooder revisionists would quit trying to do so.

The Indians were and still are a proud nation and should be honored as such by all of us in this most unique melting pot called America. My late brother-in-law was half Sioux (yes, the Sitting Bull group) from South Dakota, was an exemplary American, served over 20 years in the U.S. Army and had a full military funeral which still chokes me up to this day when I reflect back to that day as to what I witnessed at a south Texas cemetary.

I think the NCAA has overreached it's bounds. The one thing I haven't heard is outrage by Native American groups about the use of various nicknames. None of the articles cite tribal leaders, or mention any group of any kind that may be upset about this.

And Plumm, I'm one of those "gol' darn liberal do-gooders", but "revisionist". ?I have no idea what that refers to. I suggest reading "Lies my teacher told me". A wonderful book about how our history books in classrooms are just wrong! So I wouldn't call it revision, but an accurate telling of history would be nice, though.

I think the NCAA has overreached it's bounds.  The one thing I haven't heard is outrage by Native American groups about the use of various nicknames.  None of the articles cite tribal leaders, or mention any group of any kind that may be upset about this. 

And Plumm, I'm one of those "gol' darn liberal do-gooders", but "revisionist". ?I have no idea what that refers to.  I suggest reading "Lies my teacher told me".  A wonderful book about how our history books in classrooms are just wrong!   So I wouldn't call it revision, but an accurate telling of history would be nice, though.

Well, I'm not one of those liberal do-gooders so I guess we know where we both stand on that subject. laugh.gif I'll also say I'm no right-winger, either.

An accurate account of history is most important, but for that that took place 200 years ago, its almost one groups word against anothers at this stage of the game. Just like today, one group will interpret US action in Iraq one way while another has an entirely different interrpretation and much of that many times depends which political party you might be affiliated.

PS: Just saw on TV that the Florida State (Seminoles) and their administration basically told the NCAA to butt out of their mascot matters. I concur with the FSU administration and if I were of Seminole ancestry, I would be honored that Johnny Bowden's school chose Seminoles as their mascot; but that is my opinion on the matter and that is what GMG.com is for (among many other informative matter). smile.gif

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

And I think FSU has a good relationship with the Seminole Tribe.  I can't find info to back that up.  But I do recall reading that.  FSU should tell the NCAA to go ... well we'll keep it clean.

here ya go, from espn.com

"Florida State University is stunned at the complete lack of appreciation for cultural diversity shown by the National Collegiate Athletic Association's executive committee. ... That the NCAA would now label our close bond with the Seminole Tribe of Florida as culturally 'hostile and abusive' is both outrageous and insulting," Wetherell said Friday in a statement.

The Seminole Tribe of Florida passed a resolution in June supporting the school's use of the nickname and tribal images. Seminole tribes in other states have disagreed with the Florida group

i think this whole thing is stupid as well. bored people doing stupid crap!

I for one, think this is a great idea, not because I find the names offensive nor do I think native americans do. I just think those type of mascots are way overused. I mean we have 2 indian mascots in our conference alone, for christ sake, get creative. Next I hope they go after tigers and eagles.

I think the NCAA has overreached it's bounds.  The one thing I haven't heard is outrage by Native American groups about the use of various nicknames.  None of the articles cite tribal leaders, or mention any group of any kind that may be upset about this. 

That's because there isn't consensus. Arkansas State works with the Cherokee Nation on its logos and images and Florida State with the local Seminoles. There are those in leadership opposed to it and those who favor it.

The NCAA knows better than those in favor and has taken it upon themself to let them know that they have better awareness of what is offensive than the poor ignorant Indians who are in favor of such usage.

I for one, think this is a great idea, not because I find the names offensive nor do I think native americans do. I just think those type of mascots are way overused. I mean we have 2 indian mascots in our conference alone, for christ sake, get creative. Next I hope they go after tigers and eagles.

Why not protect those of Greek ancestery? Besides we have two Trojans in the league as well.

We cannot change history, and I wish some of these gol' darn liberal do-gooder revisionists would quit trying to do so. 

Plumm, I love your enthusiasm for the Mean Green. But, I think you have been watching too much Bill O'Reilly. Be careful that man will rot your brain.

I am glad FSU is challenging this. I hope all the other schools that fall under the ban join the challenge.

Exactly how is the NCAA going to "enforce" this directive? If they kick FSU and the other schools out of the NCAA, the NCAA will go out of business. I can see ALL of the NCAA Schools leaving if one gets kicked out for that.

Be a huge boon for NAIA or form a new collegiate athletic governing body.

What is next? Ban "nature" mascots. There go all the birds (including Eagles), trees (Stanford Cardinal), horses (SMU, et al), all animals of any type (Texas, TCU, UCLA, Cal, Baylor, et al), natural disasters (Tulsa and Miami Hurricane).

The only ones left are Aggies, Sooners, Cornhuskers, Cowboys, Raiders (including color like Red and Blue), Devils.