Memphis (2/15/24)

Big Z

25 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Memphis fans not taking the loss well (as expected).  Most want the coach gone for their team's performance, not really much about us.   18 pages as of now on their fan forum...

https://csnbbs.com/thread-986584.html

Penny is a good coach. High IQ but a bit too passive. Great recruiter who lets the guys get too loose. I hope he stays and they have success. 

• Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 3

7 minutes ago, drex said:

I have followed NT since 1966 and I can tell you that we NEVER beat Memphis ever.  Hats off to the team, the crowd and especially Coach Hodge.

I think the audio broadcast said it'd been 50 years.

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, Andrew said:

Penny is a good coach. High IQ but a bit too passive. Great recruiter who lets the guys get too loose. I hope he stays and they have success. 

On David Jones “Chasing Jason Edwards - that’s not what I wanted him to do.”

Gotta be able to defend & score. CRH makes Jason do it. Penny has to make David do it. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2

4 minutes ago, HoosMeanGreen said:

On David Jones “Chasing Jason Edwards - that’s not what I wanted him to do.”

Gotta be able to defend & score. CRH makes Jason do it. Penny has to make David do it. 

So tired of hearing about how great David Jones is even from our own announcers.  I like Youmans doing our games, but he was starry-eyed about the Tigers.  Sorry Kyle, best TEAM won, toughest team won.  I would like to see Jones under Boss Hodges' tutelage.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

Just watched the highlights and realized what the issue is with Memphis.  NBA coach teaching the NBA style.  They don't like grind it out basketball, lazy on defense and flash over substance.

• Upvote 7

1 minute ago, UNTLifer said:

Just watched the highlights and realized what the issue is with Memphis.  NBA coach teaching the NBA style.  They don't like grind it out basketball, lazy on defense and flash over substance.

I don't think it is good to dog pile on Penny.  He owned the loss and was very positive towards our coaches and players.  I hope he can rebound against SMUt.

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1

8 minutes ago, Ross Hodgeson said:

I don't think it is good to dog pile on Penny.  He owned the loss and was very positive towards our coaches and players.  I hope he can rebound against SMUt.

He didn't seem to have many answers for why his players did things.  He owned not coaching them in moments but also implied out of touch with them as far as strategy.  Overlooking us is still my answer before this game was even played!  We will eventually become a "known" team if we keep playing this well.

• Lovely Take 1

4 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

So tired of hearing about how great David Jones is even from our own announcers.  I like Youmans doing our games, but he was starry-eyed about the Tigers.  Sorry Kyle, best TEAM won, toughest team won.  I would like to see Jones under Boss Hodges' tutelage.

both Youmans and Draper are terrible broadcasters. 

• Haha 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 3

3 hours ago, Ross Hodgeson said:

Not dog piling anyone.  Just my observation.  They remind me of what NBA teams want to run.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Perhaps, although I’m leaning more toward Penny is a laissez-faire NBA style coach who gives in to the players. He rips into the refs but not his own guys. Worried if he does they will turn or transfer. Same reason Jason Kidd never holds Luka accountable for his childlike tantrums on the court. Superstars…. Hard to control and highly recruited  kids who play more AAU ball than organized high school basketball…. That’s a problem. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

both Youmans and Draper are terrible broadcasters. 

I don't agree with this. I think Draper is inexperienced and Youmans is pretty fair and discusses both squads. I am interested to hear what makes them so bad. I think sometimes when you don't have the voice for radio/commentary like this (Draper) it's easy to say they are bad. Youmans definitely has the voice. Everyone starts somewhere and I think we have had some good ones come through here. Emrich and Followill are the two that come to mind.

8 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

See above comment. I think they talked about JE just as much, if not more. My Dad is like this too, it's like if they talk about any of the other team's players, they are "in love with the other team".

21 hours ago, HoosMeanGreen said:

The more I watch JE on and off the court, the more I feel like he is such a great person and player. I mean he is so well spoken, respectful, knowledgeable about basketball and seems like a good guy. The fact that he already has more 30 point games against better competition than TP....well......

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, BigWillie said:

See my question above. 

DJ's commentary is little more than crutch cliches...cliches he often trips over and misuses. see how many times next broadcast that every good play "is getting the crowd involved". and I'm sorry...his voice just wears me out...it'd be tolerable if his commentary was insightful, but it's a double-miss for me. 

Yoemans'...less is more. there's just so much artificial enthusiasm...it's the ESPN way, though I suppose. like, it's the preference of Troy over Romo...or even Doris Burke over Dicky V/Bill Raftery. just talking louder isn't adding to a broadcast. 

maybe I'm spoiled in that I watch more English soccer than any other sport and the Brits are just so much better in commentary...you can add knowledge and cover the game in largely conversational tones...and then when there are significant moments, adding enthusiasm and volume actually has meaning. 

12 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

DJ's commentary is little more than crutch cliches...cliches he often trips over and misuses. see how many times next broadcast that every good play "is getting the crowd involved". and I'm sorry...his voice just wears me out...it'd be tolerable if his commentary was insightful, but it's a double-miss for me. 

Yoemans'...less is more. there's just so much artificial enthusiasm...it's the ESPN way, though I suppose. like, it's the preference of Troy over Romo...or even Doris Burke over Dicky V/Bill Raftery. just talking louder isn't adding to a broadcast. 

maybe I'm spoiled in that I watch more English soccer than any other sport and the Brits are just so much better in commentary...you can add knowledge and cover the game in largely conversational tones...and then when there are significant moments, adding enthusiasm and volume actually has meaning. 

I think the spectrum of preference varies WILDLY.  I cannot believe it, but sometimes I run into people who prefer a vibe a la Monster Jam.