Memphis (2/15/24)

Big Z

46 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

DJ's commentary is little more than crutch cliches...cliches he often trips over and misuses. see how many times next broadcast that every good play "is getting the crowd involved". and I'm sorry...his voice just wears me out...it'd be tolerable if his commentary was insightful, but it's a double-miss for me. 

Yoemans'...less is more. there's just so much artificial enthusiasm...it's the ESPN way, though I suppose. like, it's the preference of Troy over Romo...or even Doris Burke over Dicky V/Bill Raftery. just talking louder isn't adding to a broadcast. 

maybe I'm spoiled in that I watch more English soccer than any other sport and the Brits are just so much better in commentary...you can add knowledge and cover the game in largely conversational tones...and then when there are significant moments, adding enthusiasm and volume actually has meaning. 

Yeah, I can't hold someone's voice against them when it comes to broadcasting. Obviously they can't help that. I can't say DJ is my favorite, he is OK, but with Youmans, he does offer some knowledge to the broadcast and the enthusiasm is part of many broadcasters for basketball. As stated before, Mark Followill is one of those enthusiastic broadcasters for the Mavs and I love it. It's like watching it with another fan. 

I guess it's preference, much like golf, no matter if the content is A+, if you are speaking monotone, it puts me to sleep. Maybe that is conversational, I don't know.

Edited by BigWillie

I think Kyle Youmans is top notch. Maybe some bias since we graduated around the same time, but I believe he's the newest generation's Followill. And I think his goal is to provide a professional, non-homer broadcast. You rarely get that on the ESPN+ broadcasts of the mid major schools. The homers need to be saved to the college/town-exclusive broadcasts, like Hank and Dave on the MGSN.

I do get the complaints about Draper. We could have a better color guy. Draper's a business major and works in real estate. He didn't go to school to be a commentator. But like a lot of the other mid majors, including UTSA if I remember correctly, they get a former school player to be on the broadcast team, whether they are good or not.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1