The best part of last night

19 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

One of the things I have hated for YEARS, and discussed with other fans, is that we have a “tradition” of:

- Hyping up big games, and

- Having a chance to really make a statement, and

- Pulling in big crowds, and

- Crapping the bed

Last night we had a great atmosphere, showed everyone a great game…and WON!  

That is huge because that is how you turn people who are just there for the novelty into people who want to come back consistently.  The group sitting behind me commented several times “this is really fun” and “I didn’t know North Texas games were like this.”   THAT is how you build a lasting fanbase.

This.

• Upvote 1

I feel like it's a coin flip if we win home basketball games in front of big crowds.  In the last 20 years.

2007 - Oklahoma State 

2010 - Texas Tech

2018 - San Francisco

2022 - LA Tech

2024 - SMU

All of those were Ws.  In that span we also lost a few in front of big (6K+) crowds:

2011 - LSU

2012 - ULL

2019 - WKU

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

One of the things I have hated for YEARS, and discussed with other fans, is that we have a “tradition” of:

- Crapping the bed

That is huge because that is how you turn people who are just there for the novelty into people who want to come back consistently.  The group sitting behind me commented several times “this is really fun” and “I didn’t know North Texas games were like this.”   THAT is how you build a lasting fanbase.

Absolutely.  Consistent winning, and winning big games has always been a problem at UNT.  Moreso in football than in basketball though.  Last night was a step in the right direction. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

- Crapping the bed

Yeah, too many times whenever we get to the cusp of breaking through, we've not only failed, but done it horribly. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

- Crapping the bed

Proud The Karate Kid GIF

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

I’m talking about North Texas across the board, football included. 

With as much as the AD was hyping this game, I automatically assumed we would lose. Maybe even blown out.

North Texas fan PTSD is real, ya’ll. 
Sad Tobey Maguire GIF

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 6

15 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

- Crapping the bed

All very true. 

This build up scenario is what derailed Seth Littrells head coaching career. Blocked fg vs LaTech. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, drex said:

Now the challenge for the athletic department is to equally hype the next home game and get similar results.

I respectfully disagree.  Need to cut them some slack after such a huge and successful promotion.  Just my opinion.

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 4
  • Puking Eagle 1

On 1/26/2024 at 5:44 PM, CMJ said:

I feel like it's a coin flip if we win home basketball games in front of big crowds.  In the last 20 years.

2007 - Oklahoma State 

2010 - Texas Tech

2018 - San Francisco

2022 - LA Tech

2024 - SMU

All of those were Ws.  In that span we also lost a few in front of big (6K+) crowds:

2011 - LSU

2012 - ULL

2019 - WKU

You can definitely argue Mac/Hodge's teams have a better record in these games. Because to your list you can also add a second San Francisco game as both games were pretty well attended. And last year in the tournament against LA Tech, even though the setup at The Star didn't allow for a high capacity, it was an amped up crowd that helped us avenge the 2022 tourney loss.  

On 1/27/2024 at 8:57 AM, Jonnyeagle said:

I respectfully disagree.  Need to cut them some slack after such a huge and successful promotion.  Just my opinion.

Terrible take. Their goal should be continuous improvement, period. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/27/2024 at 7:36 AM, NorthTexasWeLove said:

I mean this with no offense, but this is such a bad, awfully short sighted take. Striking while the iron is hot is the name of the game. Not sitting back and relaxing, ever. 

A good marketing opportunity vs UAB on Wednesday. NIT Championship rematch... a former CUSA hated foe and CUSA Championship rematch. We need you to get back on track. Come will OUR team to a victory. 

• Upvote 1