QB commit - Chandler Morris - transfer from TCU

12 minutes ago, cousin oliver said:

Is there not anyway we could get a firm commitment from him?

What would you like to see, weekly affirmations?  Everything from him will be verbal, since there is no NLI/signature involved here.

This Tweet is still at the top of his profile page.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 7

Regardless of whether he intends to transfer to TSU-SM or not, he won’t play in spring practice at either school, and it seems he would have little good reason to say “no thanks” to us until after he graduates from TCU and has the ability to truly commit somewhere by enrolling.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

3 hours ago, cousin oliver said:

Is there not anyway we could get a firm commitment from him?

We already have his commitment. There has been no actual evidence that would tell us otherwise. Just a lot of people speculating since his dad got hired at a school that needs a QB. 

Until we hear that UNT is actively seeking another QB or Chandler announces he’s going somewhere else, then I’m going to believe he’s still coming here.  

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

10 hours ago, Moobs said:

We already have his commitment. There has been no actual evidence that would tell us otherwise. Just a lot of people speculating since his dad got hired at a school that needs a QB. 

Until we hear that UNT is actively seeking another QB or Chandler announces he’s going somewhere else, then I’m going to believe he’s still coming here.  

It just seems strange that Jayden de Laura withdraws from TSU-SM on Jan 24 and 2 days later Chad Morris becomes the passing game coordinator. A guy that just happens to have a P5 experienced quarterback in his family that is only verbally committed to this point.

• Upvote 3
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

1 hour ago, Cr1028 said:

It just seems strange that Jayden de Laura withdraws from TSU-SM on Jan 24 and 2 days later Chad Morris becomes the passing game coordinator. A guy that just happens to have a P5 experienced quarterback in his family that is only verbally committed to this point.

100 percent.  If you haven’t noticed out fan base is quite naive at times.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 3
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 3

2 hours ago, Tom McKrackin said:

100 percent.  If you haven’t noticed out fan base is quite naive at times.

The student body through a fit in San Marcos because De Laura had an assault charge filed against him by a woman.

https://www.expressnews.com/sports/article/jayden-de-laura-leaving-texas-state-scrutiny-18626203.php

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Eye Roll 1

8 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

The student body through a fit in San Marcos because De Laura had an assault charge filed against him by a woman.

https://www.expressnews.com/sports/article/jayden-de-laura-leaving-texas-state-scrutiny-18626203.php

Which left them without 3 of their top 4 quarterbacks from last season and also without their top incoming quarterback.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Moobs said:

Did his dad get the Texas State job?

4 hours ago, Rudy said:

I would have thought that if he is following his dad, he would have done so by now.

4 hours ago, NT80 said:

Exactly.  He didn't go to Clemson when his dad was there.

https://www.si.com/college/2019/06/14/arkansas-chad-morris-son-chandler-morris-commits-recruiting

https://texashsfootball.com/highland-park-4-star-qb-chandler-morris-decommits-from-arkansas/

He was set to follow him to Arkansas until Chad got fired.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

1 hour ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Really though, y'all really think Chandler Morris, a 20 something year old college graduate student, wants to follow daddy around all the time? I know I wouldn't. Going to TSU would be my last choice if I were him.

He has proven that he doesn’t need daddy to hold his hand but some of us love our fathers and spending time with them. If my dad was back in Texas coaching college ball and I only had a year or two left I would want to spend some time with him before my hourglass ran out of sand. This is probably why Jim Harbaugh had his dad as part of the staff at UM even though he didn’t need him there.

Besides the dad/son relationship stuff, San Marcos and central Texas are a pretty sweet place to live.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

He has proven that he doesn’t need daddy to hold his hand but some of us love our fathers and spending time with them. If my dad was back in Texas coaching college ball and I only had a year or two left I would want to spend some time with him before my hourglass ran out of sand. This is probably why Jim Harbaugh had his dad as part of the staff at UM even though he didn’t need him there.

Besides the dad/son relationship stuff, San Marcos and central Texas are a pretty sweet place to live.

You can love your father and still want to pave your own way separately. If Morris chooses to go into coaching after his playing days are over, he'll probably want to go on his own for a bit. You see it all the time in the NFL where teams are accused of nepotism in hiring practices. It took Kyle Shanahan years to get his own respect, for example. Harbaugh had nothing to prove when he hired is dad at UM.

These guys are ultra competitive. If it were me, I'd want to go on my own to prove my worth. I'd hate to be labeled as a guy who only has a job because of who my dad is.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

You can love your father and still want to pave your own way separately. If Morris chooses to go into coaching after his playing days are over, he'll probably want to go on his own for a bit. You see it all the time in the NFL where teams are accused of nepotism in hiring practices. It took Kyle Shanahan years to get his own respect, for example. Harbaugh had nothing to prove when he hired is dad at UM.

These guys are ultra competitive. If it were me, I'd want to go on my own to prove my worth. I'd hate to be labeled as a guy who only has a job because of who my dad is.

I think the fact that he hasn’t played for his father though his 4 years of high school or his 4 years of college pretty much shows he can function fine on his own. Playing for your father or coaching under your father doesn’t seem to have set back Kendall Briles or Riley Dodge. If anything, they got a leg up because of the success of their fathers.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Several of y'all are sort-of neglecting the fact that TXSt is a better football team than we are at the moment, so that should also be a factor.   Pair the opportunity to play with dad, along with playing on a better team, and you have a cause for concern.  If Chad went to UTEP, I wouldn't be as concerned.

If it's just about playing under Chad, I suppose that's not out of the realm that he would want to do that in his final year.  But that's where we need Coach Brophy and Coach Morris to remain in constant pursuit of him until he's on campus. 

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 4

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Several of y'all are sort-of neglecting the fact that TXSt is a better football team than we are at the moment, so that should also be a factor.   Pair the opportunity to play with dad, along with playing on a better team, and you have a cause for concern.  If Chad went to UTEP, I wouldn't be as concerned.

If it's just about playing under Chad, I suppose that's not out of the realm that he would want to do that in his final year.  But that's where we need Coach Brophy and Coach Morris to remain in constant pursuit of him until he's on campus. 

One team is in the AAC, the other is not.

Some student-athletes think that's a big deal, some do not.

• Upvote 3

17 hours ago, greenminer said:

One team is in the AAC, the other is not.

Some student-athletes think that's a big deal, some do not.

TX St. destroyed an AAC team in their bowl game last season.    Some student-athletes think winning is a big deal, I suppose some do not... doubtful though.

I see my opinion is not a popular one.   Sorry folks, the truth hurts sometimes.   

I certainly hope CMorris believes he's the missing piece to get NT back to winning football games.   Equally, I hope he pays off on that confidence.  He has to show up here first.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

TX St. destroyed an AAC team in their bowl game last season.    Some student-athletes think winning is a big deal, I suppose some do not... doubtful though.

I mean, we destroyed Cinci in a bowl game once, and I didn't see CUSA-tier athletes coming to this Sun Belt school.

Both of us are right to varying degrees.  I just think, for most kids, a full conference slate of AAC teams is cooler than an opportunity to win a ton and be rewarded with....a matchup with Rice.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1