Are we not signing a transfer QB?

meangreenfaninno

12 hours ago, DentonLurker said:

Agreed. If you can get paid now, go do it. You can always worry about school later.

That's the mindset of kid's today...get mine now.  Screw the school, the program, the team...I want mine NOW!

• Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 2

Maybe some highly-recruited players to big-box programs are finally seeing a new path to playing time in the portal...

Ex-USC QB Malachi Nelson, No. 1 recruit in 2023, to visit Boise State

"While Nelson got interest from bigger programs in the portal, the potential to play immediately and a strong roster loomed large in him choosing to first visit Boise State. This visit could end up as an anecdote that supports the trend of players in the NIL era seeking playing time over big brands, as the generations-long path of top recruits signing with the biggest schools and waiting their turns is being tested."

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/39241601/ex-usc-qb-malachi-nelson-no-1-recruit-2023-visit-boise-state

• Upvote 3

51 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Maybe some highly-recruited players to big-box programs are finally seeing a new path to playing time in the portal...

Ex-USC QB Malachi Nelson, No. 1 recruit in 2023, to visit Boise State

"While Nelson got interest from bigger programs in the portal, the potential to play immediately and a strong roster loomed large in him choosing to first visit Boise State. This visit could end up as an anecdote that supports the trend of players in the NIL era seeking playing time over big brands, as the generations-long path of top recruits signing with the biggest schools and waiting their turns is being tested."

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/39241601/ex-usc-qb-malachi-nelson-no-1-recruit-2023-visit-boise-state

Cobbs supposedly told a running back come to UNT and run for 1500yds. Morris needs to tell the qb recruits come to UNT and throw for over 3,000 yds. GMG 

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, NT80 said:

This is totally the problem with college football now!  Not looking at education or school program to be a team leader, it's ONLY about a payday!   

I don't know how Kaidon grew up.  Maybe his folks are wealthy.   But, in general, do you understand what a $500k check would do for a kid from Cedar Hill?    He's going to get "education" anywhere.  A scholarship is a scholarship.
And do you mean to tell me that if somehow Cam Ward decided to come play for UNT that he wouldn't immediately be considered a "team leader"?    Get outta here.

You guys taking out your frustrations with NIL on the players need to step back and look at the big picture a bit.  What the kids are doing is completely understandable.    Your problem is not with the kids.   It's with the new system.

• Upvote 7
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 2

8 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

You guys taking out your frustrations with NIL on the players need to step back and look at the big picture a bit.  What the kids are doing is completely understandable.    Your problem is not with the kids.   It's with the new system.

The kids are making the system what it is.  The adults have given the keys to the children!

Why even involve scholarships?  Make them now pay for school with their $$ like everyone else has to.  Do players even care about attending class now? 

Edited by NT80
  • Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 4
  • Downvote 2

10 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Do players even care about attending class now? 

Why?  If you know, or are hoping to only be there a year, just take some blow-off classes and concentrate on your sport.  There's a reason you don't hear about the APR anymore.

• Upvote 1
  • Pissed 1

47 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

3rd stringer at USF doesn't instill much confidence but it'd be worth a try with him. Similar frame to Chandler Rogers and it appears that he's a big threat with his legs. Could just be the clone of Rogers this offense needs so it can produce again

8 hours ago, NT80 said:

That's the mindset of kid's today...get mine now.  Screw the school, the program, the team...I want mine NOW!

I can’t imagine a lot of people here would have cared much about school, the program, etc. if say Brint Ryan came up to them with a check for $500k each of the next 4 years and said, “this is yours whether you graduate or not.”

Edited by DentonLurker
  • Upvote 5
  • Puking Eagle 1

52 minutes ago, DentonLurker said:

I can’t imagine a lot of people here would have cared much about school, the program, etc. if say Brint Ryan came up to them with a check for $500k each of the next 4 years and said, “this is yours whether you graduate or not.”

You are correct, but my parents would have made sure I made wise decisions with that money. 

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, DentonLurker said:

For some (obviously not all) of these guys, they are coming from situations where money is tight too. If someone said “hey, you can buy your parents a new home now if you come play here” I don’t think there’s a second thought

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Eye Roll 3

3 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

It's still a mostly middle class city. $500k is life changing money for a kid from a middle class family.

Quinn Ewers is from Southlake, a pretty affluent city in Texas, and he went to Ohio State for $1 million just to transfer. Money talks 

• Puking Eagle 1

1 hour ago, Jonnyeagle said:

Your kidding right?  500k would be amazing for any human being!

31 minutes ago, GoGreenBeans said:

Quinn Ewers is from Southlake, a pretty affluent city in Texas, and he went to Ohio State for $1 million just to transfer. Money talks 

I agree with both of you. I'm not the one who said Cedar Hill was a nice city and implied $500k to a kid from there wouldn't do much.

On 1/4/2024 at 9:33 PM, GoGreenBeans said:

For some (obviously not all) of these guys, they are coming from situations where money is tight too. If someone said “hey, you can buy your parents a new home now if you come play here” I don’t think there’s a second thought

Unless he spots that new Porsche Carrera 911 first.  Just sayin.

On 1/4/2024 at 11:43 AM, NT80 said:

That is the mindset of the schools every time conference alignment and scheduling comes up.  Every school not in Big 10 or SEC would leave traditional rivals to join one of the those conferences behind.  No consideration of the the hardship maintaining academic eligibility while regularly traveling  over 3-4 time zones during the week for games.  Stanford and Cal in an East Coast conference.  UCF and Arizona in the same conference garbage.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Meangreen Fight said:

That is the mindset of the schools every time conference alignment and scheduling comes up.  Every school not in Big 10 or SEC would leave traditional rivals to join one of the those conferences behind.  No consideration of the the hardship maintaining academic eligibility while regularly traveling  over 3-4 time zones during the week for games.  Stanford and Cal in an East Coast conference.  UCF and Arizona in the same conference garbage.

I'm not sure how much difference it makes with academic eligibility, but I wonder what percentage of online classes the players are taking. Also, golf and softball/baseball teams have traveled all over the place for years, especially early in the year; I am guessing they have a reference point to plan.

2 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I'm not sure how much difference it makes with academic eligibility, but I wonder what percentage of online classes the players are taking. Also, golf and softball/baseball teams have traveled all over the place for years, especially early in the year; I am guessing they have a reference point to plan.

When I went to UNT just a few years ago it seemed like every elective course that I took online had at least 1 football player in there. They're generally pretty easy classes lol. And now due to Covid, the amount of online classes that are offered is even greater. Schools do the best in their ability to make coursework easier for their prized athletes, which I'm not taking a shot at them, but it's just how it works.

2 minutes ago, GoGreenBeans said:

When I went to UNT just a few years ago it seemed like every elective course that I took online had at least 1 football player in there. They're generally pretty easy classes lol. And now due to Covid, the amount of online classes that are offered is even greater. Schools do the best in their ability to make coursework easier for their prized athletes, which I'm not taking a shot at them, but it's just how it works.

100 % true. Players are given access to "easier" classes; if they are full, exceptions are made to get them in. I spoke to a counselor once regarding a note on one of the classes my son was trying to take, and she said that they had to hold spots for the athletic department for a certain amount of time as they were "projected" to be needed by players. Again, as you said, it's how it works.  

• Upvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

On 1/4/2024 at 12:03 PM, NT80 said:

The kids are making the system what it is.  The adults have given the keys to the children!

Wrong. Nothing happens in college football without the big brands wanting it to happen. The wealthy schools want a system that lets them poach players easily. They want to eliminate down years and rebuilds so that they remain on top every season. Why do you think the transfer rules have been loosened? The schools could easily shut this down and implement restrictions and limits. Why do you think NIL is handled by collectives outside of the school and the totals don't have to be reported? Tampering is rampant and punishments are un-enforced. Are the players responsible for any of those things? 

The NCAA is powerless to stop any of this, as any push back could cause the big brands to split away. They want to collect their share of money as well. 

Edited by Green Otaku
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

Wrong. Nothing happens in college football without the big brands wanting it to happen. The wealthy schools want a system that lets them poach players easily. They want to eliminate down years and rebuilds so that they remain on top every season. Why do you think the transfer rules have been loosened? The schools could easily shut this down and implement restrictions and limits. Why do you think NIL is handled by collectives outside of the school and the totals don't have to be reported? Tampering is rampant and punishments are un-enforced. Are the players responsible for any of those things? 

The NCAA is powerless to stop any of this, as any push back could cause the big brands to split away. They want to collect their share of money as well. 

Sad, but true.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, UNTLifer said:

Sad, but true.

People are upset at the players because it's a change to how things were done, I get it. But people have to step back and realize they are working within the system in place, change that and it changes what they can do. For a while I had felt like the big schools were unhappy with schools like App State, Cincy, Boise, other strong G5s, that found hidden gems in recruiting that allowed them to compete. Recruiting is hard and not every player you bring in pans out, so what could these programs do to get these players they missed? Do what they do with coaches from the G5, just buy them. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1