Houston we have a problem!

Big Z

Just now, peanuts104 said:

As much as I hate UTSA, that job isn't a hole and they did very well the first year in the AAC. No reason to let off that momentum unless you don't think you can replace Frank Harris (though I would argue their success isn't tied to Harris). I guess this would be a convenient exit point for Traylor with Harris leaving though. I don't see it.

I think everything about UTSA is a hole. I think Frank Harris makes that team, but either way, a P5 conference is still a P5 conference. 

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1

1 minute ago, KingDL1 said:

I think everything about UTSA is a hole. I think Frank Harris makes that team, but either way, a P5 conference is still a P5 conference. 

Like I said, this would be a good exit point for Traylor, especially if he had doubts about the team going forward without Harris, but I think I'd try for a better job than Houston. Nobody wants to be the next cougar queen @Cougar King

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, peanuts104 said:

Like I said, this would be a good exit point for Traylor, especially if he had doubts about the team going forward without Harris, but I think I'd try for a better job than Houston. Nobody wants to be the next cougar queen @Cougar King

I think you are right, but if it's his best offer I think he would take it. 

• Upvote 2

interesting to watch, I was very confused from the beginning of Holgorsen's move to Houston, i thought he had a decent gig in West Va.

It was also interesting to see the move from Houston's part, considering their pretty decent track record working with up and coming coaches. 

With a buyout like they have (now seems small thanks to our friends in College Station), it will be interesting to see what kind of coach they bring in next.

• Upvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

13 hours ago, peanuts104 said:

As much as I hate UTSA, that job isn't a hole and they did very well the first year in the AAC. No reason to let off that momentum unless you don't think you can replace Frank Harris (though I would argue their success isn't tied to Harris). I guess this would be a convenient exit point for Traylor with Harris leaving though. I don't see it.

its a hole money wise. Traylor is not happy with the lack of funding. The student vote not passing didn't help. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, golfingomez said:

interesting to watch, I was very confused from the beginning of Holgorsen's move to Houston, i thought he had a decent gig in West Va.

It was also interesting to see the move from Houston's part, considering their pretty decent track record working with up and coming coaches. 

With a buyout like they have (now seems small thanks to our friends in College Station), it will be interesting to see what kind of coach they bring in next.

Holgo had a background in Texas with his time at Tech. I think Houston paid more too. 

Also the Houston president said "We fire people at 8-4".... and Holgo only hit that once. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Ross Hodgeson said:

That place exists on a shoe string budget and has high school facilities.  He would be wise to bail now that Harris is gone.

Does he wait next year for Aranada to slip and Baylor to be open? Maybe Arkansas? 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2

1 hour ago, golfingomez said:

WVU was about to fire Dana. Dana is friends with Fertitta and had coached here before. 

Fertitta got his feelings hurt by Herman and Sumlin leaving, so he wanted coaches who would stay forever. Hence why we ended up with Applewhite and Holgerson. 

Both Lincoln Riley and Lane Kiffin were ready to take the job when Applewhite was hired but Fertitta's stupid contract scared them off.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Cougar King said:

WVU was about to fire Dana. Dana is friends with Fertitta and had coached here before. 

Fertitta got his feelings hurt by Herman and Sumlin leaving, so he wanted coaches who would stay forever. Hence why we ended up with Applewhite and Holgerson. 

Both Lincoln Riley and Lane Kiffin were ready to take the job when Applewhite was hired but Fertitta's stupid contract scared them off.

What was the contract?

ill say this, Fertitta and co definitely got the basketball hire right. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, wardly said:

Fritz is 63, and according to what I have read is Houston's top choice. Traylor might be their 2nd choice but UTSA alumni could step up to the plate and give him the financial support his program needs.

63 is considered old to be rebuilding a program.   Please let it be Traylor Trash.  Perfect fits.

• Upvote 1