Angelo State (11/26/2023)

Big Z

One thing that I’d like to see an end to is the mini scoring droughts this team can get into.  

It seems that every game there is about a 3-5 minute period (of game time) where the offense bogs down and we stall out…against Angelo State that’s not a problem, against Wichita State, FAU or Memphis it can get you buried.  

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

One thing that I’d like to see an end to is the mini scoring droughts this team can get into.  

It seems that every game there is about a 3-5 minute period (of game time) where the offense bogs down and we stall out…against Angelo State that’s not a problem, against Wichita State, FAU or Memphis it can get you buried.  

That’s what defense is for. I agree it could be an issue but that’s not a UNT issue that’s many to most basketball teams. Hear the same thing about our high school programs. Every Mavs fan board is full of the how can we go 4 minutes without scoring. It’s part of the sport. That’s why you play defense. Mavericks can’t play defense at all. At least UNT is aggressive on the defensive end. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

23 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

I notice a big improvement in Moore from last year to this year.  He does not seem lost on the court and he has quick hands hope he keeps developing.

He wasn’t lost last year either…. He got a bit bulkier but nothing else changed. We just have a lot of solid guards and did last year as well. 

• Eye Roll 1

3 hours ago, Andrew said:

That’s what defense is for. I agree it could be an issue but that’s not a UNT issue that’s many to most basketball teams. Hear the same thing about our high school programs. Every Mavs fan board is full of the how can we go 4 minutes without scoring. It’s part of the sport. That’s why you play defense. Mavericks can’t play defense at all. At least UNT is aggressive on the defensive end. 

I know you get a lot of crap on this board, but I actually agree with this post. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, BigWillie said:

I know you get a lot of crap on this board, but I actually agree with this post. 

Thanks. I think I really only get crap from CBL and Tasty Greek. The rest are maybe just negative UNT fans. 

Also the droughts in college ball are due to the shot clock difference. It’s only 6 seconds difference but around 50% of the time NBA teams put up their first shot under ten seconds. In college the average (use to be…) around 20 seconds. It may have been 35 second shot clock then. Idk what it is now but it can’t be far off.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

5 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

Isn't this a natural part of any game? Indicative of the chess match the coaches are playing?

Opponent makes a defensive adjustment for our offense, a few minutes go by, and Hodge makes his adjustment.

Rinse. repeat.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2