Mid-Season Observations

jtm0097

21 hours ago, Matt from A700 said:

Without a bowl or conference championship game, Maclin is on pace for 50 catches for 1,174 yards and 16 TDs.

By comparison, Shorter, who was a devastating portal loss, caught 23 passes for 628 yards and 11 TDs in 2022.

Shorter's YPC was astonishing at 27+ per catch, but Maclin isn't far behind at 23.5.

Puts some perspective on Darden's monstrous 2020 run.  Maclin has 8 TDs throught he first 6 games.  Darden had 11.

• Upvote 5

I've been looking at stats too, but more focused on our opponents.  Like most of us know, the second half will be much tougher than the first on both sides of the ball.  These are the our opponents team stats Scoring Defense/Total Defense and Scoring Offense/Total Offense.  I know these can be swayed/skewed by different things like style of play (e.g. Navy), but 6 games is a pretty good picture of what a team is.

image.png.9582656fc04ecb0a8a4e8373761e6408.png

Our offense will be tested more than it was in the first half, but not near as much as the defense will.  These numbers make me think it will tougher than I first thought.  On the bright side, I know UTSA has been without Harris for a stretch, but they are easily the best chance at a win in these next four games and only an SMU upset would make me happier.  This second half of the season will give us a better idea of where we are as a team.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

On 10/17/2023 at 11:59 AM, Green Crazy said:

I've been looking at stats too, but more focused on our opponents.  Like most of us know, the second half will be much tougher than the first on both sides of the ball.  These are the our opponents team stats Scoring Defense/Total Defense and Scoring Offense/Total Offense.  I know these can be swayed/skewed by different things like style of play (e.g. Navy), but 6 games is a pretty good picture of what a team is.

Our offense will be tested more than it was in the first half, but not near as much as the defense will.  These numbers make me think it will tougher than I first thought.  On the bright side, I know UTSA has been without Harris for a stretch, but they are easily the best chance at a win in these next four games and only an SMU upset would make me happier.  This second half of the season will give us a better idea of where we are as a team.

Thanks for the added context! Agreed, these next few weeks are going to show how good this team really is.

• Upvote 1

On 10/15/2023 at 5:35 PM, El Paso Eagle said:

I believe that FIU will be the one that no matter how hard I try, I can't figure out how we lost to that team

I agree.  I feel like we’d beat them by 4 touchdowns or more if we played again.

• Upvote 2

On 10/17/2023 at 11:59 AM, Green Crazy said:

Defense is trending in the right direction in Points Allowed.

• Upvote 2