Found watch

flyonthewall

Assuming the owner bought tickets through the AD to the bowl game, it should be straight forward cross-reference ticket sales data to letterman from the era that sported the flying worm to narrow down the possible list of owners.  Then just contact each one individually.  Can't imagine it's a large number.

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, keith said:

Assuming the owner bought tickets through the AD to the bowl game, it should be straight forward cross-reference ticket sales data to letterman from the era that sported the flying worm to narrow down the possible list of owners.  Then just contact each one individually.  Can't imagine it's a large number.

You can't be serious.  I mean in theory...... But have you ever actually bought tickets from our ticket people?  I should say two years ago?.....  Seems to be functioning much better now.  According to a source this particular time piece was given in 1975-76....So that could narrow it down even more.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, flyonthewall said:

You can't be serious.  I mean in theory...... But have you ever actually bought tickets from our ticket people?  I should say two years ago?.....  Seems to be functioning much better now.  According to a source this particular time piece was given in 1975-76....So that could narrow it down even more.

I would suggest contacting the AD's office or the NT Letterwinner's Association...

https://meangreensports.com/sports/2020/3/17/meangreenforlife

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, greenjoe said:

I’ve never received a gold watch.  But it’s my understanding there is an inscription on the back.

”Presented to JOHN DOE In grateful appreciation of many years of loyalty and exceptional service.   April 15, 1967”

Has anyone thought to look on the back ?

It's not a "special presentation", so wouldn't have a personalized inscription.  I don't know about watches, but the jackets do have a nametag sewn into the pocket (at least those from the 80s do), but that's easily done by the vendor.  Of course, same could be done for a watch nowadays for minimal expense, but not sure if that would be the case in the 60s.

Otherwise, I'll open the bidding at $1 but would be willing to go higher, mostly because of the Flying Worm.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, greenjoe said:

I’ve never received a gold watch.  But it’s my understanding there is an inscription on the back.

”Presented to JOHN DOE In grateful appreciation of many years of loyalty and exceptional service.   April 15, 1967”

Has anyone thought to look on the back ?

gee the back says speidel on every piece of the band.  wonder if this is a clue?

back of watch.jpg

Edited by flyonthewall
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

Here is the 1975 NTSU team offensive player stats.  Most of the statistical leaders were probably letterman that season...

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/north-texas/1975.html#all_team

But it could also be an athlete from another sport.

The NT Letterwinners also have a Facebook page.   You might post the pic on it to see if you get some info....

https://www.facebook.com/MeanGreen4Life

Otherwise, yes, as mentioned, put it up for auction here!   I'm sure it will get some bids!

Edited by NT80
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Green P1 said:

Can I have it please?

You would have to out-bid me for it when it goes on GMG.com-Athletics-Fundraising-Auction....

Seriously, Fans could donate NT items to make this happen.  Start a new Forum (NT Auction) a monthly online bidding site on GMG. All proceeds go to buying season tickets to donate or to a NT athletics building fund, or starting a baseball program(!!), many things.   

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1