Benford 2.0

Hookset

2 hours ago, meangreenbob said:

So how did Wyoming, Fresno St, Texas St and even UTSA compete so well against the Big Boys? And I’m sure there were more games like these this past weekend. 

Are they getting quality  players through the portal that change their program almost overnight? If so, where are they getting the “money” to pay these guys? Or do they just have better coaching? Why are we always on the outside looking in? 

You’re cherry picking games.  How about Nevada, New Mexico, San Jose St, Boise St, Colorado St, Arkansas St, etc.?  

Plus, it’s one game.  Outside of UTSA I don’t expect any of the teams you listed to have great seasons.  

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, NT93 said:

You’re cherry picking games.  How about Nevada, New Mexico, San Jose St, Boise St, Colorado St, Arkansas St, etc.?  

Plus, it’s one game.  Outside of UTSA I don’t expect any of the teams you listed to have great seasons.  

Of course hes cherry picking. That's who we should be emulating. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

35 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

This is not accurate. The funny thing is everyone thinks I have to be biased towards coaches to get info. When in reality zero of my info comes from coaches..

do I try to be optimistic absolutely. But I also don’t think the sky is falling after one game or one season. Morris turned around a much worse program at UIW with a fraction of the resources. 

No one was calling for Grants McCaslands job when he lost to UTRGV his first month on the job… 

Grant would of had to be blown out 3 straight games to be an actual equivalent exercise. He wasn't, he also had an impressive track record. Grasping at this comparison is good for feeling better I guess, but its not substantiated. Morris no matter what you or anyone says was no more prepared for this role than Seth was. This was a weak search hampered by an inexperienced AD, who was the benefit of another weak search. This is an absolute failure so far, we are all calling it. I called it the second it was announced. I would love to believe you could be critical, I used to always look forward to you and that billysee guy with recruiting. I just don't see it, personally in your spot I wouldn't be critical either. anthony hopkins puppet GIF by Shudder

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Boy! 3
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

44 minutes ago, NT93 said:

Why should be emulate Wyoming and Fresno St. any more than Boise St. and  Colorado St. (or any of the other schools I listed)?

A few things about Boise. 1st: They have lost some of their luster and high level G5 success, mainly due to other peer programs rising up. 2. They also played way out of their class on Saturday. 3. Make no mistake, we should emulate them, too. 

But we did take our .500 football team into a bowl game with them last year with a neon yellow wearing former retiree and only lost by 3. And they swept their conference slate, and lost in the MWC champ game. 

1 hour ago, herewego said:

Grant would of had to be blown out 3 straight games to be an actual equivalent exercise. He wasn't, he also had an impressive track record. Grasping at this comparison is good for feeling better I guess, but its not substantiated. Morris no matter what you or anyone says was no more prepared for this role than Seth was. This was a weak search hampered by an inexperienced AD, who was the benefit of another weak search. This is an absolute failure so far, we are all calling it. I called it the second it was announced. I would love to believe you could be critical, I used to always look forward to you and that billysee guy with recruiting. I just don't see it, personally in your spot I wouldn't be critical either. anthony hopkins puppet GIF by Shudder

Cracking Up Lol GIF by HULU

• Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, herewego said:

Michael Scott Wink GIF

• Lovely Take 2

On 9/3/2023 at 11:26 AM, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Well I don't think this is a good comparison. Seth didn't win hardly anything, like championships and big games, but Jones did. Benford wasted the talent of Tony Mitchell, Morris isn't wasting any talent. It's also been 1 game, chill the hell out.

Really??? You don’t think I am being fair?

Seth was given time to grow into the position. Too much time. He learned too late unfortunately that the “Tee it High and Let it Fly.” Wasn’t going to work without a generational QB. He eventually learned to “Run The Damn Ball!”

He also learned that the 3-3-5 defensive wasn’t going work without the right personnel. Switched to the 4 down lineman. Too late to make a difference. He was fired. 

Morris shouldn’t be given time to figure out the head coaching job! We need a coach that understands the importance of the job and all of the responsibilities.

We do not have time for him to “grow” into the role!!!

2 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Not really. 

Ppg - 71st

Ypg - 83rd

3rd down % - 93rd

Yards per rush - 86th

Yards per pass - 92nd

Pass yards per game - 43rd

Rush yards per game - 114th

Yes it is.  He is dismissing his time at Tech as the OC acting like he went from UIW to WSU and only spent one year as a DI OC.

Just now, UNTLifer said:

Yes it is.  He is dismissing his time at Tech as the OC acting like he went from UIW to WSU and only spent one year as a DI OC.

Oh, perhaps. 

I'm sure his numbers there would be misleading to a degree... Tech was still fully engulfed in the air raid then. So, I'm sure you will see 6 or 700 pass attempts and gaudy passing numbers. Gotta have a dude at QB to do all of that and then replace your dude with anther dude. 

• Eye Roll 1

38 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I’m dismissing nothing. Air Raid had its time. It isn’t working at Tech. It didn’t work at WSU. It didn’t before (Littrell) or now at UNT.

Just now, CMJ said:

Funny how Benford keeps getting the ire, when Trilli is also sitting out there.  Benford was awful, but Trilli's era was truly mind blowingly bad...worse than anything else I've experienced as a NT fan.

Benford is just remembered because it was not as far back and we had a tournament team he inherited. Benford nuked the program in one year and it took 5 years away from the momentum JJ spent building it up. Trilli inherited a rather pedestrian situation in the late 90s and showed that a bad YMCA coach could do better than he could.

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Benford is just remembered because it was not as far back and we had a tournament team he inherited. Benford nuked the program in one year and it took 5 years away from the momentum JJ spent building it up. Trilli inherited a rather pedestrian situation in the late 90s and showed that a bad YMCA coach could do better than he could.

Okay, so a rather pedestrian program like we had in the Jankovich era - akin to our football team the last few years.  If the idea is we go from average to horrendous, the comparison should still be Trilli.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

9 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Morris has built/turned around a program with much, much less resources than what he has now.  Some of these comments are comical at best considering this was one game.

Hopefully, "this was one game" rationalization doesn't turn into "this was one season" rationalization in a few months.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Hookset said:

Really??? You don’t think I am being fair?

Seth was given time to grow into the position. Too much time. He learned too late unfortunately that the “Tee it High and Let it Fly.” Wasn’t going to work without a generational QB. He eventually learned to “Run The Damn Ball!”

He also learned that the 3-3-5 defensive wasn’t going work without the right personnel. Switched to the 4 down lineman. Too late to make a difference. He was fired. 

Morris shouldn’t be given time to figure out the head coaching job! We need a coach that understands the importance of the job and all of the responsibilities.

We do not have time for him to “grow” into the role!!!

I'm confused here.

Seth took a 1-win team to a 5-win, backdoor'd-bowl-game, team in year 1.  The following year, we were playing in a conference championship game.  The next season was the 2nd of back-to-back 9-win seasons.

Seth Littrell created his own standards with his IMMEDIATE success.   When he couldn't keep it going, the expectations created from his previous success cannibalized him.

Now, does Morris get to "restart" the success clock and drag the team down to a 3 or 4 win season?   Or do we expect him to get back to 6-6, at minimum, where Littrell left it? 

For me, the standards Littrell created, that ultimately led to his termination, all pertain to Morris... immediately.   
We lost a ton of good players to the portal/graduation.  And although this doesn't mean crap do a guy like GJ Kinne, I'll allow a step backward to 4 or 5 wins this year before I expect a 9-win season next year under Morris... like Littrell did.

22 minutes ago, MAX KOCH said:

Next week will be enough .. If we get our asses handed to us again ????

If we lose to FIU, yeah.   I don't care that it's "on the road".   We beat FIU last year 52-14 under Littrell.   If we lose to FIU this year...  we have Benford (or Trilli, or Dodge) comparisons to make.   FIU Sucks.  No excuses.

• Upvote 3