Our AD made a MASSIVE mistake with this HC hire

Travis

4 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Seth Littrell certainly did not lower this program. He definitely elevated it. Give credit where it is due. 

Eric Morris was hired to stop the beatings (failing at that so far) and win bowl games, while competing for conference championships. 

I can't speak for the administrators that pulled the trigger on the Morris hire, but MY perception is that Morris was hired to not only win, but win the games that absolutely mattered as well. 

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Seth Littrell certainly did not lower this program. He definitely elevated it. Give credit where it is due. 

Eric Morris was hired to stop the beatings (failing at that so far) and win bowl games, while competing for conference championships. 

Programs don't hit a reset button with every new hire.  It's not like the performance level drops to the bottom of the NCAA when you bring in new blood.

We should expect, given what we saw with Litrell that, EVEN WITH A NEW HIRE, we can still be competitive with an entry-level P5 team in Game 1.  I think this point especially holds true when you hire a guy that is from the same tree, and isn't on the opposite side of philosophies.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Programs don't hit a reset button with every new hire.  It's not like the performance level drops to the bottom of the NCAA when you bring in new blood.

We should expect, given what we saw with Litrell that, EVEN WITH A NEW HIRE, we can still be competitive with an entry-level P5 team in Game 1.  I think this point especially holds true when you hire a guy that is from the same tree, and isn't on the opposite side of philosophies.

Preaching to the choir, brotha. 

season 2 jim brockmire GIF by IFC

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

How far Littrell lowered the program?!? We were a 1-11 program when Littrell took over. 

Thats what I am saying.  Morris inherited still a much better program than what SL had.  So comments like the one you had to reply to is weak to me. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

51 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Talk about someone that's full of himself. Dude you're almost gloating that you hope we have a bad team. 

If things are going to just eventually plateau into mediocrity for X amount years just to go through another firing/hiring and be at square 1, I'd rather just be awful out the gate to get it over with asap. Maybe hit em with a dielectricion of duty and wiggle out of the contract? I don't know. Let's just go beat FIU and LaTech and see where we sit. 

• Upvote 3
  • RV 1

23 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

From what I witnessed last Saturday, beating both FIU and LaTech could be a difficult task.

I suspect we’ll see a whole different team against FIU, LaTech, and ACU.  I sure hope I’m right or it’s gonna be a long season.

32 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

From what I witnessed last Saturday, beating both FIU and LaTech could be a difficult task.

Are you thinking of the right FIU because they are horrible. They average 15 PPG in 2 games against LT and MAINE!! 
We SHOULD win both games by at least 2 touchdowns, but who knows.

Nothing about this this team's on field performance gave me any confidence that this guy is a competent head coach at this level.  UNT fans have seen enough bad coaching to know what bad coaching looks like and that was epic bad on Saturday.  The stage seemed way to big for him and he brought a team to the game that was totally unable or unprepared to compete.  

FIU is going to be licking their chops after watching Saturday's tape.  Crazy, but FIU already feels like a must win game or Morris may not be able to recover.  Since this is Mosley's big hire, he better hope Morris figures it out quickly.

image.png.6643d5b10b949f2b1d3f050c00fda733.png

52 minutes ago, ADLER said:

Or when Tulsa handed us our butts in 2005's home opener. It was the first time in NCAA history that a favored team had been beaten by more than 50 points.

I forgot about that. I can't rank them since they are all so terrible but here are some of the worse losses I have ever seen...

'07 Oklahoma - season opener

'05 Tulsa

'08 Rice

'15 Portland State

'23 Cal

We have lost games with massive margins before... but these particular games took a great amount of ineptitude that didn't even show anything resembling a fight.  Care to add anymore to this??

10 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

Yessir, I thinking of the same FIU.  Did anyone come away from Cal shellacking that we could beat anyone this season?   That was some of the worst UNT football I have ever witnessed in my lifetime.

Without a serious turnaround, this looks like a 0-1 win team to me.  The team that showed up Saturday probably can't even beat ACU.  Again, will give them the next few weeks to turn things around to the point of just playing competitive football.  That would be progress from what we saw Saturday.  

2 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

I keep having these disturbing flashbacks.  And I don't mean 'Nam.  Seth Littrell lead us to victory over a University of  Arkansas team not too long ago.

I think we no longer can put a lot of stock in that victory given that was a really bad day and season for Arkansas.  Chad Morris was in his first season for a tenure and he got fired before finishing his second.  Chad Morris most prestigious job since is an "Offensive Analyst" and current has that position at Clemson.   That Clemson offense came out last night and scored 7.   And you can't downplay how bad the performance was because at best without turning the ball over and hitting FG under 45 yards they score 13 max.  As for our team there probably less than 10 guys total on this team from the 2018 season.   And of those few none of them were significant contributors at that time, especially on defense.  There was talent left here but it isn't on par with that 2018 team at any position except maybe WR & RB.  

3 hours ago, TreeFiddy said:

Nothing about this this team's on field performance gave me any confidence that this guy is a competent head coach at this level.  UNT fans have seen enough bad coaching to know what bad coaching looks like and that was epic bad on Saturday.  The stage seemed way to big for him and he brought a team to the game that was totally unable or unprepared to compete.  

FIU is going to be licking their chops after watching Saturday's tape.  Crazy, but FIU already feels like a must win game or Morris may not be able to recover.  Since this is Mosley's big hire, he better hope Morris figures it out quickly.

image.png.6643d5b10b949f2b1d3f050c00fda733.png

What is particularly concerning to me is how heavily he tried to force the tendencies of his play calling into this opening game strategy.  I assume by what I saw yesterday and what others have said before Saturday; Stone Earle isn't a dime throwing pocket passer.   If there was any shot of not being blown out by Cal Saturday it was to be balanced.   Then you open up more the passing game in following games against FIU and ACU.  He did not have to put his offensive stamp on the team so forcefully against a P5 team as an underdog.  That is running the team like an Offensive Coordinator tied up in your ego rather than a Head Coach looking at the big picture.  They still get beat if they have a more balanced attack.   Because they were going to struggle to score more than 24 points and the defense holding Cal under 35 would have been a virtual miracle judging by what we saw.