Could Fouts Field have been saved?

MCMLXXX

The Congressional Historic Stadium Caucus, established by co-chairs Congressmen Garret Graves, R-La., and Mark Pocan, D-Wis., was launched with intentions to update some of college football’s most historic stadiums, many of which are over 100 years old, and enhance their capabilities.

Ole Miss, Mississippi State football stadiums targeted by Congress for upgrades - SuperTalk Mississippi

Obviously, our federal budget must have a surplus and they can think of nothing better to do with it.

• Downvote 1

Fouts was only about 70 when it was torn down.  It was built in 1952 and it would have taken a fortune to correct its wrongs.

As 90 grad said the water table made the student side virtually impossible to fix.  A good rain almost inundated the field one year against Mississippi State.  The press box was too small for most high schools.

With the shortage of parking, it's serving its best function.

• Upvote 7

The only things worth saving at Fouts were the in/out, JMGC on-field half time and post-game on field policies.

It also had a great grassy tailgate area on the band practice field, I believe. Grass you could walk and run on barefooted.

But I do have many, many fond memories of the place.

GMG

Edited by untcampbell
  • Upvote 3

As dumpy as it was, it was my dump and where I grew up watching college football. I loved that old dump and have great memories of going to games there. Now that we have our new digs, I am happy with the memories and don’t miss Fouts. Everything is just better now. 

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, untcampbell said:

The only things worth saving at Fouts were the in/out, JMGC on-field half time and post-game on field policies.

It also had a great grassy tailgate area on the band practice field, I believe.

But I do have many, many fond memories of the place.

GMG

KWIK KAR FIFTH QUARTER
Back by popular demand, Mean Green fans can now access the field at DATCU Stadium following each home game as part of the Kwik Kar Fifth Quarter. After both teams exit the playing field, fans will be allowed time on the turf for photos or to enjoy a game of catch.

• Upvote 4

Saving it would've kept UNT in the tiny fraternity of schools that have a running track around the field, like Buffalo, Eastern Michigan, Penn, Bucknell, Villanova and Dartmouth.

Nothing brings you closer to the game than being further from the game.

Edited by rcade
  • Upvote 4
  • Haha 2

Fouts was modern in 1952 when it was built.  It compared to UH's Robertson Stadium and Smut's Ownby Stadium. 

In 1971, instead of throwing money into expanding and renovating Fouts, a decision was made to start hosting key, larger games at the newly opened Texas Stadium.  It was much like UH was doing with the Astrodome and Smut with the Cotton Bowl.

As mentioned, Fouts provided a lot of memories, but it was severely outdated by 2010.  Somewhere, I still have a small piece of the first artificial turf put into Fouts when we changed over from grass.  I think @ADLER has the Eagle head that adorned the back of the Fouts Pressbox seen from I-35.

• Thanks 2

On 8/27/2023 at 5:36 PM, GrayEagle said:

Fouts was only about 70 when it was torn down.  It was built in 1952 and it would have taken a fortune to correct its wrongs.

As 90 grad said the water table made the student side virtually impossible to fix.  A good rain almost inundated the field one year against Mississippi State.  The press box was too small for most high schools.

With the shortage of parking, it's serving its best function.

That and the geometry of it were just wrong.  The track was just the tip of the iceberg.  Its location before the university expanded in the 80s and 90s was particularly horrible and drove home the negative aspects of being a commuter school.  The nearest dorms at that time were some of the oldest and least desired if my impression as a child were correct.   The most iconic thing about the stadium was the facade facing i-35E.  I think I had a Time Machine I would encourage Fouts being built closer to Fry Street.  Don’t get me wrong I loved our little quirky stadium I grew up with.  Watched 4th of July Fireworks in it several times in addition to games, but it had to go.  The only thing that could have be done was to have the new stadium incorporate the «looks» of Fouts without the major design flaws.   But Fouts held us back scheduling and upgrading our conference far too long, at least a decade in my opinion.

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 4

The Fouts Stadium area was originally intended to have a baseball field too.

This is from a 1949 NT vs Houston football program...artist's rendition of the proposed new stadium that would open in 1952.

Note the exterior facade is a little different, and the track around the field was shifted the other direction when built...

IMG_9489.thumb.JPG.da1a5d339823c9105a946c1f29e3afc4.JPG

Edited by NT80
  • Upvote 1

I know someone who helped build the stadium back in the early 50s, he said when they finished it was already outdated for its time (and upcoming decades) and already had problems with the foundation of potential renovations and such. 
Kinda similar to the Super Pit in how they built it was outdated and has horrible overall structure within the seating area.

• Downvote 1

4 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

I know someone who helped build the stadium back in the early 50s, he said when they finished it was already outdated for its time (and upcoming decades) and already had problems with the foundation of potential renovations and such.

Sounds like "Low Bid Construction Company" built Fouts.