My Prediction For Starting QB. (It Has Changed)

TheReal_jayD

23 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

I will just say this on the QB situation. Morris and Brophy found a hs triple option qb and turned him into a P5 QB. Morris turned a kid thats best sport in HS was baseball into maybe the best quarterback of all time. He has earned the right to gain our trust. If one of the 3 QBs battling for the starting spot right now arent the answer Morris and Brophy will maximize the potential of the best one. Then they will find a replacement next year. 

Thank you 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, NT93 said:

What if, in your haste, you name the wrong starter?

...a risk you take no matter when you decide.

In my opinion, nothing brings out the best (and sometimes worst) in a player better than a tight competition.  

A tight competition does have its benefits.  And you definitely want to teach all your athletes - including backups - to fight like the starting position is there for the taking. 

But I also believe there is value in knowing your role, and knowing what you have to do.

Hard to explain, except I see it in nearly every memory and experience I have.  Memories of playing along with sports teams.  memories of  performances as a musician, both solo and ensemble.  The performer has this internal switch, like, "okay. I got this" and they level up.

Taking your logic to the extreme: you (as a coach) would give equal reps to all your players across the entire season.  you know, to bring out the best.

It doesn't work that way.

And, as @Cr1028 mentioned, game planning for Cal most likely won’t start until the 28th.

Let the coaches make the call.  They're the ones there, reading the room.  Cal-specific prep likely starts the 28th.  IMO, the sooner a starter is named, the sooner the starter gets starter-reps, and the better I would feel going into WK1.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

I will just say this on the QB situation. Morris and Brophy found a hs triple option qb and turned him into a P5 QB. Morris turned a kid thats best sport in HS was baseball into maybe the best quarterback of all time. He has earned the right to gain our trust. If one of the 3 QBs battling for the starting spot right now arent the answer Morris and Brophy will maximize the potential of the best one. Then they will find a replacement next year. 

Maalik Murphy starting UNT 2024 QB confirmed. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Well, in my opinion you're giving both Brophy and Morris more credit than they deserve.

According to the records, Brophy spent one season with Ward and that was as a Grad Assistant at WSU.  This was after Ward had already established himself as a badass.  So, to say Brophy "found and turned him into a P5 QB" with Morris is just not true.  Also, leaving Leftwich (UIW QB coach) out of that conversation when he probably had the same amount to do with Ward if not more is misleading. 

Morris spent a season as a QB coach and that was at WSU.  While he was at Tech he was the OC and WR Coach.  So, while he absolutely deserves some credit for Mahomes, Kingsbury deserves the lion's share.  And to be completely honest, I would give more to Andy Reid than Kliff. If you remember Pat at Tech he was running around and creating things out of thin air half the time, there's no teaching that.  

So, my opinion is he had little to do with Pat and a little more to do with Ward.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, greenminer said:

...a risk you take no matter when you decide.

Of course, but the more of each you see, the more likely to make a better decision.

A tight competition does have its benefits.  And you definitely want to teach all your athletes - including backups - to fight like the starting position is there for the taking. 

But I also believe there is value in knowing your role, and knowing what you have to do.

Hard to explain, except I see it in nearly every memory and experience I have.  Memories of playing along with sports teams.  memories of  performances as a musician, both solo and ensemble.  The performer has this internal switch, like, "okay. I got this" and they level up.

Taking your logic to the extreme: you (as a coach) would give equal reps to all your players across the entire season.  you know, to bring out the best.  This is in no way my logic, but whatever.

It doesn't work that way.  

I said "a tight competition."  A known starter verses a known backup isn't a tight competition.  Let's just say Jace Ruder and Stone Earle weren't on the roster.  I am certain that Chandler Rogers would have been named the starter long ago.  I will say this though, every player better know that if they don't perform there is somebody prepared to take their spot.  

Let the coaches make the call.  

Are you trying to tell me that what I post on here isn't going to have an effect on the decisions coaches make?

1 hour ago, Green Crazy said:

Well, in my opinion you're giving both Brophy and Morris more credit than they deserve.

According to the records, Brophy spent one season with Ward and that was as a Grad Assistant at WSU.  This was after Ward had already established himself as a badass.  So, to say Brophy "found and turned him into a P5 QB" with Morris is just not true.  Also, leaving Leftwich (UIW QB coach) out of that conversation when he probably had the same amount to do with Ward if not more is misleading. 

Morris spent a season as a QB coach and that was at WSU.  While he was at Tech he was the OC and WR Coach.  So, while he absolutely deserves some credit for Mahomes, Kingsbury deserves the lion's share.  And to be completely honest, I would give more to Andy Reid than Kliff. If you remember Pat at Tech he was running around and creating things out of thin air half the time, there's no teaching that.  

So, my opinion is he had little to do with Pat and a little more to do with Ward.

So who would you have making the decision if not Morris or Brophy?

1 hour ago, Green Crazy said:

Not sure where you records are. But Brophy was at Incarnate Word working with QBs in 2021...

"he served as an assistant wide receivers and quarterbacks coach at his alma mater, the University of Incarnate Word, under Morris and UNT offensive coordinator Jordan Davis. 

In 2021, the Cardinals posted a 10-3 record, reached the FCS Playoffs for the second time in four seasons, while assisting in the development of current Cougar quarterback Cameron Ward, he threw for 4,648 yards and 47 touchdowns on the season"

So if you don't want to give Brophy any credit that is fine.. But to say Morris just had a little to do with Cam Ward is a bit of an understatement. Worth noting Morris thought high enough of Brophy to bring him in as QB coach instead of going after Leftwich. 

"For how young he was the first time he coached at WSU, he was unbelievably insightful. I learned so much from him in the one and only year he spent with us before heading back to Tech as OC. You might wonder how that went at Tech, helping call the plays for Kingsbury. Well, they put up huge numbers and set Patrick Mahomes on the path to greatness. And they would have won a whole lot of games if the defense could have stopped anyone."

THE FILE ON ERIC MORRIS AS OC AT TEXAS TECH:

2017: Ranked 10th in nation in passing offense and 16th in total offense, at 474.6 yards per game.

2016: Led the nation with an average of 566.6 yards of total offense.

2015: Set the single-season school record with 45.1 points per game. Ranked No. 2 nationally in total offense, scoring offense and passing offense. Balanced attack featured a 4,000-yard passer in Patrick Mahomes, a 1,000-yard rusher in DeAndre Washington and a 1,000-yard receiver in Jakeem Grant. 

2014: Ranked No. 10 in the nation in total offense with an average of 504.1 yards per game. The 351.1 yards per game through the air was fifth-most in the nation. Washington rushed for 1,103 yards over 12 games, marking the first time a Red Raider running back reached the 1,000-yard mark since 1998.

2013 (Co-OC): Ranked No. 2 in the nation in passing (392.8 yards per game) and eighth in total offense (511 yards-per-game).

Full Article : https://247sports.com/college/washington-state/Article/Coach-Eric-Morris-Connor-Halliday-commentary-Let-me-tell-you-first-hand-about-who-WSU-football-landed-179920175/

We can argue until we are blue about who had bigger part and who found who. My intial statement still applies. Eric Morris has had successfull offenses and passing attacks at every stop. Brophy is a rising star in the coaching world. He is the first true QB coach North Texas has had since Graham Harrell. I just hope we can keep him as long as we kept Graham. 

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Not sure where you records are. But Brophy was at Incarnate Word working with QBs in 2021...

"he served as an assistant wide receivers and quarterbacks coach at his alma mater, the University of Incarnate Word, under Morris and UNT offensive coordinator Jordan Davis. 

In 2021, the Cardinals posted a 10-3 record, reached the FCS Playoffs for the second time in four seasons, while assisting in the development of current Cougar quarterback Cameron Ward, he threw for 4,648 yards and 47 touchdowns on the season"

So if you don't want to give Brophy any credit that is fine.. But to say Morris just had a little to do with Cam Ward is a bit of an understatement. Worth noting Morris thought high enough of Brophy to bring him in as QB coach instead of going after Leftwich. 

"For how young he was the first time he coached at WSU, he was unbelievably insightful. I learned so much from him in the one and only year he spent with us before heading back to Tech as OC. You might wonder how that went at Tech, helping call the plays for Kingsbury. Well, they put up huge numbers and set Patrick Mahomes on the path to greatness. And they would have won a whole lot of games if the defense could have stopped anyone."

THE FILE ON ERIC MORRIS AS OC AT TEXAS TECH:

2017: Ranked 10th in nation in passing offense and 16th in total offense, at 474.6 yards per game.

2016: Led the nation with an average of 566.6 yards of total offense.

2015: Set the single-season school record with 45.1 points per game. Ranked No. 2 nationally in total offense, scoring offense and passing offense. Balanced attack featured a 4,000-yard passer in Patrick Mahomes, a 1,000-yard rusher in DeAndre Washington and a 1,000-yard receiver in Jakeem Grant. 

2014: Ranked No. 10 in the nation in total offense with an average of 504.1 yards per game. The 351.1 yards per game through the air was fifth-most in the nation. Washington rushed for 1,103 yards over 12 games, marking the first time a Red Raider running back reached the 1,000-yard mark since 1998.

2013 (Co-OC): Ranked No. 2 in the nation in passing (392.8 yards per game) and eighth in total offense (511 yards-per-game).

Full Article : https://247sports.com/college/washington-state/Article/Coach-Eric-Morris-Connor-Halliday-commentary-Let-me-tell-you-first-hand-about-who-WSU-football-landed-179920175/

We can argue until we are blue about who had bigger part and who found who. My intial statement still applies. Eric Morris has had successfull offenses and passing attacks at every stop. Brophy is a rising star in the coaching world. He is the first true QB coach North Texas has had since Graham Harrell. I just hope we can keep him as long as we kept Graham. 

I was going by UIW's website when referring to the "records" it lists their grad assistants and he wasn't on the roster.  If I'm wrong, I apologize, but it doesn't really change my opinion very much. Also, I said he little to do with Mahomes development, for Ward I said Leftwich had as much if not more to do with his development. 

As for Brophy over Leftwich, I think that a large part of that had to do with Kinne making Leftwich his OC.

And while I think he definitely left his impact on those Tech offenses, don't get it twisted, that was Kliff's offense and Kliff called the plays.  Eric might have had input, but all my Tech friends and anyone who watched those games could see that there (and in Arizona for that matter).

I'm not trying to knock Eric's offensive knowledge, I believe the offense will be good. I'm just trying to get some to tap the brakes on him being an QB guru. I'm glad we have QB coach too, just not sure about Brophy yet.  Hopefully Morris wins a few championships and Brophy takes over and wins some more.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 1

Bickering over who to give credit for so we can more accurately wildly guess how well this upcoming season will turn out.  Man the offseason sucks.

We’ll know soon enough, but until then I’ll ride with JD on Stone coming out ahead if for no other reason than he has a great name and I liked what I saw of him in game last year.  He’s got moxy and he’s not afraid to hit people.  Not necessarily what you want your QB doing, but hard not to love that trait.  If and when he gets dinged up, all these split reps should help us have a backup ready to play.

Edited by TIgreen01
  • Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1