PAC 12 Realignment Talk Mega Thread (All 12 threads merged)

11 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

We could see a situation where whichever conference gets OSU and WSU goes after 2-4 teams from the conference that didn't get them.

Possible, but again it's all about the money. Our focus as fans is sports and schools, but I think we have to think about it from the media side. ESPN was going to lose the pacific/mountain timezone to Apple, so with the Big12 they get the mountain slots back with BYU, Colorado, Utah, Arizona, and Arizona St. If Stanford/Cal go to the ACC that's 2 schools for pacific coverage. Fox has the Big10, the MWC, and shares the Big12. There comes a point where you have no more slots that need filling, so you don't have any reason to spend more money. 

7 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

Agree, but is that enough of a reason to choose the AAC if the payouts are the same? Those two have a lot of bills to pay. 

The payouts aren't the same; AAC pays significantly more than MWC for the base contract. No idea whether or not that would go up with the signing of those two (plus potentially more).

For exposure, there's this thought with some MWC fans that they have more games on linear TV than the AAC. While technically true, AAC games are on ABC, ESPN, ESPN2, and ESPNU. The vast majority of MWC games are on CBSSN, and as we all know from Judy's mess, that's a channel roughly 14 people subscribe to.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

If the AAC can get WSU and OSU we would be the premier G5,  in good shape to add some MWC teams. If the MWC should get WSU and OSU, they could surpass us by adding MWC teams in the future. We are very fortunate to have teams in the middle of the country in major cities.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, ColoradoEagle said:

The payouts aren't the same; AAC pays significantly more than MWC for the base contract. No idea whether or not that would go up with the signing of those two (plus potentially more).

For exposure, there's this thought with some MWC fans that they have more games on linear TV than the AAC. While technically true, AAC games are on ABC, ESPN, ESPN2, and ESPNU. The vast majority of MWC games are on CBSSN, and as we all know from Judy's mess, that's a channel roughly 14 people subscribe to.

I was posting under the assumption that either Fox or the MWC would get them a deal that would match the AAC. Either by media payout or other conference concessions. The MWC deal runs out in 2026, so anything they do short term won't affect them for too long. 

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

I was posting under the assumption that either Fox or the MWC would get them a deal that would match the AAC. Either by media payout or other conference concessions. The MWC deal runs out in 2026, so anything they do short term won't affect them for too long. 

Exposure = eyeballs = money. The AAC will be able to get more in the current format and/or a restructured format than the MWC. 

• Upvote 3

39 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Exposure = eyeballs = money. The AAC will be able to get more in the current format and/or a restructured format than the MWC. 

That is the question isn't it? How much money? It all depends on how much Aresco can convince ESPN to fork over. How do we even know ESPN is willing to give additional shares for either school? While I agree that the AAC has the better deal and exposure we are making lots of assumptions as to where/if more money would come. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

7 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

That is the question isn't it? How much money? It all depends on how much Aresco can convince ESPN to fork over. How do we even know ESPN is willing to give additional shares for either school? While I agree that the AAC has the better deal and exposure we are making lots of assumptions as to where/if more money would come. 

OR St and Wazzou would add more football exposure to the AAC than it has ever received. I am confident more money will be there. You're adding millions and millions and millions of more eyeballs to the late night time slots. West coast football fans will tune in. Snatching SDSU and ________ will dictate more PST eyeballs. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, cousin oliver said:

I really got excited looking at this new concept for the AAC:

That's actually a nice balanced conference all across the country.  Coast to coast TV. 

It's the best random map he has done so far.   Too bad he isn't a real media source.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, NT80 said:

That's actually a nice balanced conference all across the country.  Coast to coast TV. 

It's the best random map he has done so far.   Too bad he isn't a real media source.

I like that conference.   The western half would be a tough battle.  However, I don't trust anything the OS_Beaver account says.  

• Upvote 1

People here know about Arresco. He's a good commissioner. After years with bad commissioners folks are happy to have that, but some are overestimating what he can do.

The MWC made a good hire. Nevarez appears to be pretty good too. This will not be Yormark vs Kliafkoff, this will be a tough fight with the winner not obvious from the start.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 2
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, outoftown said:

People here know about Arresco. He's a good commissioner. After years with bad commissioners folks are happy to have that, but some are overestimating what he can do.

The MWC made a good hire. Nevarez appears to be pretty good too. This will not be Yormark vs Kliafkoff, this will be a tough fight with the winner not obvious from the start.

Nevarez has only been the MWC Commissioner since January of this year.  Previously she was WCC Commissioner for nearly 5 years and before that Pac12 Associate Commissioner for 8 years.   She will focus on keeping OSU and WSU Western-based, which will appeal to some of their base.    

Arresco has been the Big East/AAC Commissioner since 2012.  He has more experience in gaining and losing programs into a conference.   I think he will get a deal involving more from ESPN for OSU and WSU and use that as $$ incentive, along with a more National conference, which means more National media exposure and presence for them to consider.  

https://www.linkedin.com/in/gloria-nevarez-64795b1

https://theamerican.org/staff.aspx?staff=1

This could turn into a rich opportunity for WSU and Oregon State. Not financially but in exposure and in pushing their brand into the population centers of America. 

This round of realignment is showing that you have to play in the East. The MWC is a fine league I have loved for a long time. But programs like SDSU Oregon State and even Boise need to carve wins out where the voters and talking heads live. The Cali schools have realized this. The Bay Area schools are realizing this. 

For the AAC this is a win. Oregon State is getting national buzz for their squad this year. Their facilities are solid! WSU would get the most exposure it’s ever loved outside of the flag on Gameday. I predict we will have to fend off the Big 12 eventually when these programs start excelling.

UNT has landed in a beautiful situation. Center of the country. No more smu to share the conference with. Big 12 in our backyard. SEC hardcore football fans everywhere who live breathe drink and eat college sports year round. Major media market. Humongous enrollment and alumni base. The ingredients are there for many to elevate. 

GMG

• Upvote 4

21 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

OR St and Wazzou would add more football exposure to the AAC than it has ever received. I am confident more money will be there. You're adding millions and millions and millions of more eyeballs to the late night time slots. West coast football fans will tune in. Snatching SDSU and ________ will dictate more PST eyeballs. 

Hopefully we see some leaked figures soon. I'm not as confident that ESPN is willing to shell out the money needed to entice them, I hope they do because that would be great for us, but they just spent a pretty penny paying for all of those schools in the Big12 and possibly the ACC. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, NM Green said:

This could turn into a rich opportunity for WSU and Oregon State. Not financially but in exposure and in pushing their brand into the population centers of America. 

This round of realignment is showing that you have to play in the East.  

For the AAC this is a win. Oregon State is getting national buzz for their squad this year. Their facilities are solid! WSU would get the most exposure it’s ever loved outside of the flag on Gameday. I predict we will have to fend off the Big 12 eventually when these programs start excelling.

Big 12 is backup option for Stanford and Cal and... 

if Stanford and Cal aren't invited to the ACC...by the middle of next week, ... their discussions with the Big 12 will get that much more serious. If they do end up heading towards the Big 12 option, Michael Silver of the SF Chronicle also reported that Oregon State and Washington State would also be joining them as well. 

Stanford and Cal reportedly exploring the possibility of joining the Big 12 - Sports Illustrated All Cardinal News, Analysis and More

34 minutes ago, MCMLXXX said:

Big 12 is backup option for Stanford and Cal and... 

if Stanford and Cal aren't invited to the ACC...by the middle of next week, ... their discussions with the Big 12 will get that much more serious. If they do end up heading towards the Big 12 option, Michael Silver of the SF Chronicle also reported that Oregon State and Washington State would also be joining them as well. 

Stanford and Cal reportedly exploring the possibility of joining the Big 12 - Sports Illustrated All Cardinal News, Analysis and More

I think this is another wish-list guess from a media writer than actual happening.

• Upvote 4