PAC 12 Realignment Talk Mega Thread (All 12 threads merged)

14 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

You are also IMO discounting the huge advantage UTSA has being in San Antonio, the sixth largest city in the USA.  No pro football and only one D1 football team (UT) within an hour drive.

When you are in a larger city with no other significant teams, and you have success in football, you will draw. Been a while, but back in Mike Price's 2nd year at UTEP, they went 8-4 and averaged over 47K a home. So give UTSA credit for its success and for making a great hire. Does it last? Does he stay (Look at the change in success since Napier left Lousiania Layfettee)?
As far as an off-campus stadium, it doesn't seem to matter to the people in San Antonio. I don't follow them close enough to know, but I would guess their marketing focuses on getting people in and around San Antonio to the games, not zeroed in on students and alums. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Dannymacfan said:

The growth is phenomenal however and I think it is smart for Jared Mosley to focus on a 5 mile radius of the stadium.  That is where you sell out the stadium.  Also, you can't just target alums you have to go after college football fans who love the game and like to watch it live.

I must have missed it, is that official, 5 mile radius of the stadium? That doesn't even include Corinth or Argyle.

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 1

Last night's curveball was a Twitter thread that suggested Luck/Aresco are talking about a new media payout deal that would divide us into (depending on source) 2-3 different tiers of pay.

One of them had Tier 1 at $18mil, Tier 2 at $14mil, and Tier 3 (this is us) at $10mil

I would not like this, but man! The conference roster between East/West looked really appealing.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

Last night's curveball was a Twitter thread that suggested Luck/Aresco are talking about a new media payout deal that would divide us into (depending on source) 2-3 different tiers of pay.

One of them had Tier 1 at $18mil, Tier 2 at $14mil, and Tier 3 (this is us) at $10mil

I would not like this, but man! The conference roster between East/West looked really appealing.

The $18 mil tier was to appease the Pac group that they were valued.  I'd still take it.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Well, confirmed: Oliver Luck, Mike Aresco and AAC presidents are meeting to discuss a merger/deal. This might actually be happening. It's sort of incredible. A shot into the arm for not only UNT, but its athletics. 

Confirmed where?   Not saying it isn't true, but where is the source?  

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

I feel that the longer it is for announcements to be made the likelihood diminishes. 

25 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Well, confirmed: Oliver Luck, Mike Aresco and AAC presidents are meeting to discuss a merger/deal. This might actually be happening. It's sort of incredible. A shot into the arm for not only UNT, but its athletics. 

That was a quick change of mind. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

Cannot find any credible references to Luck/Aresco discussions.  However, Aresco was the Big East commissioner when Luck was the WVU AD when the church schools bolted so there is definitely some history between the two.

And as far as I can tell, the PAC12 no longer has a commissioner (assuming that Kliavkoff has quietly been relieved of duties).

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Twitterverse. A no name guy with a WVU profile picture I'm following that has been spot on everything in this episode of realignment stated it. 

His info hits different...in a good way.  Complete opposite of Jim Williams.

He says he has an inside source, and I choose to believe him lol

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, greenminer said:

His info hits different...in a good way.  Complete opposite of Jim Williams.

He says he has an inside source, and I choose to believe him lol

Whether he has an inside source or not, he's been correct. He knew the PAC was going to get ripped apart months ago. Since, he knew the ACC was going to make a serious play. He knew Stanford will, has, and will continue to make a Big10 play. Even if it means by themselves. He stated that if the ACC takes Stanford and Cal package, Wash/OrSt will be absorbed by MWC. Days after he says something reports of it happen. Now, he's saying there is heavy AAC smoke. 

Until he is wrong, he is credible. 

Edited by NorthTexasWeLove
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1