TCU transfer Rondel Walker commits to North Texas

4 minutes ago, Rock said:

Let's give Rondel a warm welcome.   I trust in the staff to make such a decision.  Overall team talent looks great on paper .. the Staff can judge social - team dynamics to gel and make it another great season.  Some people asked who Kai was and he turned out to be one of the best surprises in all of basketball.  

Welcome Rondel .. looking forward to a great season .. enjoy the ride.

huntsberry averaged 19 pts, 4 rb, and 4 assists before coming to north texas.  you can not compare the two players

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

19 minutes ago, Rock said:

Let's give Rondel a warm welcome.   I trust in the staff to make such a decision.  Overall team talent looks great on paper .. the Staff can judge social - team dynamics to gel and make it another great season.  Some people asked who Kai was and he turned out to be one of the best surprises in all of basketball.  

Welcome Rondel .. looking forward to a great season .. enjoy the ride.

It's a sad fact that many of our fans would rather bash players that come here and praise those that transfer out

• Upvote 6
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 1

The only concern I have is how do you find quality minutes for all the guards? There doesn't appear to be an appreciable difference in ability. Many seem to be interchangeable. No throw in the walk on and Christian Moore.

Transfers don't sign on to sit on the bench.  To keep everybody happy we'll certainly have to increase the pace from 64.5 ppg. Will be interesting for sure. Now if we can just add a Nickola Jokic with the last spot, I'll shut the hell up. 

Edited by Cooley
edit
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 2
  • RV 2
  • Confused 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1

13 hours ago, THOR said:

why should we be excited about this 2X transfer coming off the bench and barely contributing?

If Hodge can get him near his freshman numbers, at OSU in the toughest conference in the country, he'll be a great fit for us in the AAC.

This is as solid as it gets for a rotation guy.  A player that we can feel good about coming in, and providing depth.  possibly more.

If you don't want to get excited, you don't have to be.

• Upvote 6

13 hours ago, Cooley said:

The only concern I have is how do you find quality minutes for all the guards? There doesn't appear to be an appreciable difference in ability. Many seem to be interchangeable. No throw in the walk on and Christian Moore.

Transfers don't sign on to sit on the bench.  To keep everybody happy we'll certainly have to increase the pace from 64.5 ppg. Will be interesting for sure. Now if we can just add a Nickola Jokic with the last spot, I'll shut the hell up. 

Something tells me that if he replicates his production at TCU, he won't see the floor much.  If Hodge and staff can get him back to his OSU numbers then that is a great problem to have.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Something tells me that if he replicates his production at TCU, he won't see the floor much.  If Hodge and staff can get him back to his OSU numbers then that is a great problem to have.

I wasn't speaking about any particular player but to the number of competent guards on the roster in general. It could become problematic when starters are out played by reserves in certain games. Who do you insert into the starting lineup the next game? Yes, good problem to have for the coach but again, kids feel that they should start and/or play more minutes. Just wanted to see an even distribution of scholarships for all positions/roles.  

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, greenminer said:

If Hodge can get him near his freshman numbers, at OSU in the toughest conference in the country, he'll be a great fit for us in the AAC.

This is as solid as it gets for a rotation guy.  A player that we can feel good about coming in, and providing depth.  possibly more.

If you don't want to get excited, you don't have to be.

thanks for that info.  if hodge can, it will be a great year

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/21/2023 at 9:37 PM, THOR said:

why should we be excited about this 2X transfer coming off the bench and barely contributing?

He is a former 4 star player.  Maybe there is something left in his tank for the right coach to draw out.  I know that the chances are minimal but if his style of play can be developed by coach Hodge he just might be a contributor.

• Upvote 2