AAC vs MWC

wardly

While we have just committed to AAC, would the MWC be a better fit? With the departure of Houston, UCF, and Cincinnati the ACC is looking somewhat like CUSA 102, which by the time it was plucked by the ACC looked like the SBC 102. While the MWC will likely lose SDSU to the PAC 12 the remaining teams seem solid. I really don't like playing in western time zones because we would get little local media coverage but it worked for TCU. I don't really have an opinion but solicit one from those who do.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

28 minutes ago, meanrob said:

I used to be in favor of trying to get in the MWC, not any more. 

We need to win where we are. I would love to have the road trips we have now if I were still in the area. 

Agree this is the best conference UNT has ever been in and it’s not even close.  Road trips to New Orleans, Annapolis, Tampa, Boca Raton, Houston, San Antonio, Memphis, Philly, 

• Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, meanrob said:

Not sure why you’d want UNM. They’ve been a disaster at football and that’s coming from a UNT fan. 

They have quality basketball, but AFA and Colo St by themselves would be fine too.   Good travel pairing.

• Upvote 1

Wait a darn minute.  When several on this board were pushing for UNT to move to the MWC,  many said “oh, no.  The teams are in the Mountain and Pacific time zones.  The games would be broadcast too late for us, and it’s too far to travel to games”.

Now that we are in the AAC, many still talk of joining the diluted MWC.  Which is it?  Make up your minds.  For me, I like the AAC.  But I wish Tulane wasn’t leaving.

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

Wait a darn minute.  When several on this board were pushing for UNT to move to the MWC,  many said “oh, no.  The teams are in the Mountain and Pacific time zones.  The games would be broadcast too late for us, and it’s too far to travel to games”.

Now that we are in the AAC, many still talk of joining the diluted MWC.  Which is it?  Make up your minds.  For me, I like the AAC.  But I wish Tulane wasn’t leaving.

Where is Tulane going? 

• Upvote 1

MWC is set to be above only the MAC in football in the coming years. They had a horrendous year last year, arguably worse than both the Sun Belt and CUSA. We went toe to toe with a team that steamrolled that entire conference (8-0). They were nowhere near the AAC. Their only hope to stay competitive is not losing some combination of SDSU, Fresno, and Boise to the PAC12/Big 12. 

They were looked on favorably by the committee for March Madness, but given that SDSU was the only one of the four schools to make it out of the first round, I doubt that happens again next year.

Finally, their payout per school is almost half of what the AAC receives. 

There's just absolutely no reason to entertain the thought of a MWC move. They were so conservative this last go around of conference realignment that they've set themselves up to become the next CUSA, not the next P6.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Victorygreen04 said:

Where is Tulane going? 

They are not going anywhere at the moment.  They have been mentioned as a "possible" target of PAC12 expansion, like Smut, due to their academics....and they beat USC in the Cotton Bowl last year.   But like Smut they are a small private school that doesn't have much of a fanbase nor bring much media influence.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1