Coach Morris Post Spring Game Interview

TheReal_jayD

31 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

I had to leave early but I remember at least one

I thought Shorter was out for the spring with an injury. 
Morris was pretty adamant in the post game interview that he hadn’t decided on a QB but that Ruder, Chandler and Earl were still in the race. Did Gunnell even play today?

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

I thought Shorter was out for the spring with an injury. 
Morris was pretty adamant in the post game interview that he hadn’t decided on a QB but that Ruder, Chandler and Earl were still in the race. Did Gunnell even play today?

Gunnell did not today or in last weeks scrimmage

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Ruder has had three solid scrimmages; this seems to be Rogers's first. Is it a case where people were waiting for Rogers to have a good scrimmage and now want to give him the job?

Yep, things never change. Everyone is always more fascinated with the new toy. As for me, as many of you already know, if I can't find a good over-looked-and-under-appreciated-underdog story, I'll settle for a good come-back story. At this point in time, Ruder gets elected.

FWIW, I rate the top three as Ruder, Earl, and a very close Rogers. If we are thinking about anything/anyone else, what about the status of our PWO from Byron Nelson HS? I read about a month ago that he de-committed (and who can blame him). Did we then wrap him up with an offer of a 'ship? 

As for Gunnells. At this point, moving forward, he would have to turn into the second coming of Curt Warner to factor into making it as a starter for this team. I just don't see that ever happening.

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1

18 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

In that order.

Thumb on the scale as usual. I guess they have to make it look like open competition to keep their good backups from transferring. I always knew that the transfer would get preferential treatment over the inherited players. 

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1
  • Sad 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Morris like a running QB.   Statues need not apply.

Morris says in the video that they are all athletic and they usually aren’t a heavy quarterback run team but may add something this year because of the athleticism of the 3. We aren’t talking about Gunnell here. Earle and Ruder are not close to being statues.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Thumb on the scale as usual. I guess they have to make it look like open competition to keep their good backups from transferring. I always knew that the transfer would get preferential treatment over the inherited players. 

The fact that Rogers is a proven FBS gameday QB can't be completely discounted, either.  Ruder supposedly wowed coaches in practice when he first stepped on campus 2 or 3 years ago, but fell apart on gamedays.  Considering he was almost certainly rushed into the starting position, I'm cautiously optimistic that he has moved past that; but I have to love Rogers' numbers at ULM.

• Upvote 6
  • Lovely Take 1

I find it entertaining that our new coach was heralded as a breath of fresh air and the dawn of a new, better, day after SL was finally let go.

But the second it appears he may not agree with those who have seen three practices concerning the QB starter, the fix is in!

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, DentonLurker said:

I’m so curious what exactly they’ve done to make you think he’s getting preferential treatment?

Because our insider has said it has been his job to lose from the start despite the fantastic play of Ruder and Earle this spring.

• Eye Roll 2

4 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

The fact that Rogers is a proven FBS gameday QB can't be completely discounted, either.  Ruder supposedly wowed coaches in practice when he first stepped on campus 2 or 3 years ago, but fell apart on gamedays.  Considering he was almost certainly rushed into the starting position, I'm cautiously optimistic that he has moved past that; but I have to love Rogers' numbers at ULM.

Well other than completion percentage (which apparently is the main driver here) his stats (other than rushing obviously) are similar or worse than Austin Aune’s who was the bane to many of our fans existence. He led his team to a 4-8 record despite that amazing completion percentage so many are high on. Makes no sense other than the typical guaranteed gig if you transfer.

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1